Author Topic: Civil War (Movie)  (Read 1864 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Re: Civil War (Movie)
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2023, 02:56:02 PM »
Hold up a second, "liberal" in "Liberal Arts" does not refer to a political leaning.   There are Fine Arts, Performing Arts, and Liberal Arts.  I think "Art" was synonymous with "Skill".

Why do we call the liberal arts "liberal"?

The liberal in liberal arts, a cornerstone of the education of so many, has very little to do with political leanings; its roots can be traced to the Latin word liber, meaning “free, unrestricted.” Our language took the term from the Latin liberales artes, which described the education given to freeman and members of the upper classes, and involved training in the mind (grammar, logic, geometry, etc.). The lower classes were educated in the servile arts, which were mechanical or occupational in nature. The phrase liberal arts has been part of our language for a very long time, with use dating back to the 14th century.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liberal%20arts#:~:text=The%20liberal%20in%20liberal%20arts,to%20freeman%20and%20members%20of
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 04:06:49 PM by oboe »

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2023, 03:26:12 PM »
Liberal arts degree doesn't pay the bills. But they can live with their parents.

Trade schools can pay the bills.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2023, 03:31:04 PM »
Hold up a second, "liberal" in "Liberal Arts" does not refer to a political leaning.   There are Fine Arts, Performing Arts, and Liberal Arts.  I think "Art" was synonymous with "Skill".

The liberal in liberal arts, a cornerstone of the education of so many, has very little to do with political leanings; its roots can be traced to the Latin word liber, meaning “free, unrestricted.” Our language took the term from the Latin liberales artes, which described the education given to freeman and members of the upper classes, and involved training in the mind (grammar, logic, geometry, etc.). The lower classes were educated in the servile arts, which were mechanical or occupational in nature. The phrase liberal arts has been part of our language for a very long time, with use dating back to the 14th century.

Liberal Arts used to be about Critical Thought and not Critical Theory.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2023, 04:51:52 PM »
Sounds critical. Intensive care unit alarmed.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2023, 10:43:24 AM »

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liberal%20arts#:~:text=The%20liberal%20in%20liberal%20arts,to%20freeman%20and%20members%20of

Intent from long ago aside, the terms and actual practice no longer conform to the original definitions. From the time I spent in the teaching arena and obtaining my MA in ED I can state that the "liberal" is far more in line with the current definition of the term than the prior. I feel a great example of this is the travesty of "social promotion" where the student is promoted to the next grade whether they did anything to show they learned or mastered the material all to protect their "fragile ego". I saw it in action in the classroom. One kid decided there was no reason to do ANYTHING in the classroom other than sit in the desk, so that was what he did. I came into contact with him when he was in 6th grade. He had been doing the same non participation for 3 years. He even refused to show up and his Dad had to leave work, get his butt out of bed then take him to school every day, usually about 2 hours late. I asked him why he did that and if he had any idea that he couldn't live like that out of school. He was quite honest and said he got promoted anyway so there was no reason to perform. He also said his Dad ran the construction company and would "give him a job". The kid got promoted to 7th grade by school policy. I have no idea if he could even read or write since he never demonstrated the skills.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2023, 11:23:58 AM »
We were in Walmart with my son who was 4 at the time and he was reading stuff. They were all shocked and said he must go to a really good school. I told them he was home schooled. The praise stopped instantly. I guess they believed that government schools were the only option and if I wasn't sending him there to get his brain washed that I was doing something wrong. It was pretty eye opening.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2023, 12:01:37 PM »
Well, it must be foreshadowing.

They are going to be absolutely desperate to prevent 45 from becoming 47. Keep your eyes peeled. I feel they will try anything to prevent the election if they cannot remove him from the ballots.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2023, 12:10:44 PM »
A buddy of mine said something that made sense to me. He said the people in charge are too destructive for it to be accidental or due to incompetence.

If you were incompetent you would do some stuff that was good for the country from time to time.

One of the things that I think shows how these guys feel about citizens is the record number of homeless, record number of vets committing suicide, prices going up due to money printing and where is their focus? Send billions of tax dollars to other countries or give people who broke the law coming into the country tax payer money, plane tickets, food benefits etc.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2023, 12:16:25 PM »
Millions of illegal immigrants show what's important to our government..

You guys aren't producing enough rug rats for the economic ponzi schemes setup to maintain our overspending..

Dumb cheap labor is needed for business and the military

And US steel is not US owned anymore..

Country going down the toilet at record speed

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2023, 12:24:37 PM »
Another one came to mind.

They're talking about having people join the military because they can't recruit enough who's first action in this country was breaking the law by coming here illegally. No doubt their first loyalty would be to our country.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2023, 02:04:11 PM »
Imagine being so lost you throw up a sign "gays for Palestine." Supporting the most oppressive regimes in the world right now.

It cracks me up so much, they called us anti semites for the last 2 years. Meanwhile, the lefts BS has finally caught up to them by accepting Islam. You have mossad vs the muslim brotherhood  :rofl So now they are shutting down grand central for Palistine and straight hating on jews. I saw this coming from a mile away with the Obama faction coming in. I knew it would come eventually. It's just so hilarious seeing this play out.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2023, 02:26:07 PM »
Another one came to mind.

They're talking about having people join the military because they can't recruit enough who's first action in this country was breaking the law by coming here illegally. No doubt their first loyalty would be to our country.

this has happened forever.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2023, 12:18:18 AM »
Liberal Arts used to be about Critical Thought and not Critical Theory.

Lol.  So true!  :aok

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2023, 05:47:52 AM »
I wonder which side all these invaders will be fighting for?

https://twitter.com/BillMelugin_/status/1736928008433537100

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2023, 09:24:02 AM »
Kinda funny how the "sanctuary cities" love them until they actually show up.

I say all these people that support illegal immigration should be the ones paying to support them and should be putting them up in their own houses.