Author Topic: Turtle Beach HOTAS (New!)  (Read 468 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Turtle Beach HOTAS (New!)
« on: December 14, 2023, 08:59:47 AM »
Looks like there's a new HOTAS to check out and evaluate.   Currently in pre-order, $399.99.

https://www.turtlebeach.com/pages/velocity-one-flight-deck?utm_source=Klaviyo&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=TBALL_ECM_NPI_PO_12.14.2023_VelocityOne_Flightdeck_Campaign&utm_content=Unveiled%21%20VelocityOne%20Flightdeck%20HOTAS&_kx=iyFZfkcIJuCbJIcmbeF-YOCCMNvhQv_whad2ocQkDUA%3D.JpsXGA

Looks interesting at least, very nice for us to have multiple options.  Has sortofa futuristic, space sim look, except for the obvious landing gear retract level (which I would've rather seen on the throttle instead of the joystick).

I have the TB rudder pedals; picked them up on sale a while ago, and find them satisfactory - you can adjust the spacing between the pedals which is a very nice feature.   Maybe a bit on the big side compared to the old Saitek Pro-flight pedals I had been using forever prior to the new TBs.  But heavy and solidly made.

<S>

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Turtle Beach HOTAS (New!)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 09:44:32 AM »
I'm in the market for something as I've become dissatisfied with the X56 I bought the X56 less then 2 years ago and while the buttons didn't wear out like the X55 that I'd had for years previously it is garbage. The joystick sticks and and is sloppy. The throttle will advance by itself to full unless you have the tension turned up to the point where it's hard to move the throttle quickly. Logitech really failed on the X56 in my opinion. I wonder if all their joysticks are now the same crappy quality. I know I have a couple old Logitech G Extreme 3D Pro that all the buttons on the bottom stopped working.

I was thinking to buy the vkb but since the throttle I have is no good I may need to buy a complete rig. I bought the  Thrustmaster
Thrustmaster T.16000M stick and throttle for cheap but it feels that way to me. The stick doesn't seem to have much travel to full deflection (kinda like the TM hotas) and the throttle feels like it cost about $5 to make. The TM hotas I had started spiking badly on the twist axis after about 6 months.

I was leaning to the VKB for $135 but this seems like a decent deal, however, I'm not sure I want to be the guinea pig who finds out all the crap that's wrong with it 6 months down the road.

I'm also considering a CH pro stick but I've heard some stuff lately that makes me think their quality has slipped.

And then there's Virpil which I know nothing about.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 11:33:30 AM »
$400 is a lot but it does look like it's packed full of buttons. I like the gear switch but agree I'd prefer it on the throttle. Lots of hat switches. I assume the trigger is not dual-stage which is something I'm not sure I can live without anymore. I guess I'd be curious how it holds up after a year or two of use.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 12:14:56 PM »
Looks interesting, a little on the pricey side.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 01:47:32 PM »
I think I'd wait for tech reviewers myself, but just to let people know there are new options on the horizon.

When I went to the webpage, it popped up a coupon for 10% off the order.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 01:56:14 PM »
IT does look promising, a key design issue for me is the Hall effect sensors.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 02:47:54 PM »
I wanna know if the buttons still work after a year...

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2023, 12:49:31 PM »
IT does look promising, a key design issue for me is the Hall effect sensors.

Curious why Hall effect sensors are a design issue for you?

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2023, 01:32:20 PM »
Curious why Hall effect sensors are a design issue for you?

:salute

Potentiometers wear out as they in fact rub together. Hall effect has no physical contact, as I understand them.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 01:33:56 PM by JimmyD3 »
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 01:39:54 PM »
Potentiometers wear out as they in fact rub together. Hall effect has no physical contact, as I understand them.

The electrons rub together though!  :old:

What do you all think of the displays?
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2023, 01:40:26 PM »

Oh, so you're saying that using Hall effect sensors is a positive? From your initial response I thought you didn't like them.

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2023, 01:43:41 PM »
No I love them, wish my CH pedals had them instead of the Potentiometers.  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76