Author Topic: 109 G4 checkride  (Read 944 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
109 G4 checkride
« on: December 28, 2023, 09:11:04 PM »
I had just crossed enemy lines heading toward one of our mission targets when in the distance I saw 2 dots that were moving in such a way that they appeared to be determined to kill each other. Putting the nose down to gain speed I carefully advanced the throttle of my G4 to military as I know at WEP it would over temp and damage the engine if I ran it for more then a minute wide open.

As I quickly closed the distance I see tracers flying and wondered if my countryman was shooting or being shot at. I was unable to determine who was who by the silhouettes so I decided I'd saddle up on the one that was shooting just in case. I was coming in hot and as I closed they went into a rolling scissors which did not help my closure rate. I pulled into a high yo-yo and saw the big red star on the plane that was shooting. LA5! It wasn't looking good for my countryman so I got to work on trying to save his life. I had to dump my speed to saddle up on this LA5 so I chopped throttle, kicked the rudder and loaded up some g. My speed dropped quickly and I was able to get in position to start shooting at this commie.

I sprayed ammo all around trying to get this guy to break off my buddy but he couldn't be convinced so I started working on actually hitting him. Squirt. Miss! another squirt another miss. I see a stream of tracer reaching out for my buddy. I got to get this done now! Ping, ting, plink. Tracers flying past me! Oh hell looks like he has a buddy too. I gotta kill this LA5 now or this fight is going to quickly be 2 vs me! Hope he only has one buddy. I pulled lead at close range and held the trigger down. The LA is firing as he flys through the stream of lead that I'm spraying. He takes hits! He's going in! I look back to my buddy and he’s going down with a wing off. Too low to bail out. Guess I was a little too late.

Now for those tracers that are flying past me again. Hit the brakes, he fly right by right?! Bah. I'm barely above stall speed already, so that means he's already slow cause he didn't fly past me right? Crap. Next best idea that comes to mind. Ram the throttle to WEP, drop the flaps and hang it on the prop. As I do this and look back I get a glimpse of my adversary. Oh no! That P-39 is popping off that big cannon. this could be over fast! My air speed falls to nothing. I push the stick forward just enough to keep control kicking my rudder to compensate for the p-factor. His nose is coming up. I see his cannon blinking. This is it. I have nothing left I can do at this point.

Phew. His nose is dropping! He wasn't able to get it up! Gotta be careful now. We're very low and one snap-roll and I'm a goner. Slowly I push the nose down expecting him to appear under my nose as I know he had to push the nose down for speed and wouldn’t try to turn and risk a snap roll this close to the deck right? Where is he? Oh crap he’s off my right wing! He musta turned right after he dropped his nose. He’s turning toward me. Crap! He’s gonna get a deflection shot! It worked last time maybe it will work again. Back into the vertical I go. Flying more like a helicopter then an airplane. I’m watching him closely this time. He continues his left turn nose down. He’s trying to gain some speed with the little bit of alt that we have. This time I’ll be more careful. I drop my nose and start a slight left turn in lag pursuit tying to get enough speed to be able to pull lead for a shot. My speed is coming up, he’s out and front now. As I pull the nose to lead he suddenly rolls right and pulls the other way. I kick my rudder carefully and fire trying to get the nose in front of his flight patch for a shot without spinning. I’m not sure if I hit anything. Crap, looks like we’re back in the scissors. I’m surprised the P39 will fly that slow. He must have 2 gallons of fuel in that thing. I’d try to pull the nose vertical but I’m so slow after that rudder kick that I’m barely flying. This is going to be rough. I roll and start pulling to the right. His left wing drops and he’s coming back at me. Snap shot as he passes in front. Maybe I hit him? No visible damage. I’m turning left now I see his right wing drop and he begins to turn back to me. Opps! He starts to spin. Looks like he’s lost it! Too low to recover. BOOOM! Fireball!

I pull my flaps up and drop the nose below the tree tops. I glance at my gauges. Yep. The engine is about to cook. I pull back to continuous power and scan the sky. Phew. Nothing visible. I look at my wings. Dang. Those holes don’t look good. I’ve had structural failure from less damage then I see now. Going to have to be careful. I gotta get out of here. I look at my compass and quickly turn to a sw heading and head for home. With any luck I’ll make it.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
Re: 109 G4 checkride
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 10:52:24 PM »
Nice read, man. I like the aspects and prospects of micromanaging certain engine characteristics distinct to each plane. Having that in the back of your mind whilst dealing with the other dude made this AAR better to read. That and having to get your nose right in the ring with the two combatants in order to ID them adds a level of excitement.
Keep up the good work.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2023, 07:47:24 AM »
Great story, Hazmatt.  Thanks for that writeup!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2023, 07:50:28 AM »
This write up from a different sim?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2023, 09:50:02 AM »
This write up from a different sim?

Eagler
Uh. I would probably upset somebody if I answered that here so I answered you directly.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 09:56:04 AM by hazmatt »

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 09:55:11 AM »
Nice read, man. I like the aspects and prospects of micromanaging certain engine characteristics distinct to each plane. Having that in the back of your mind whilst dealing with the other dude made this AAR better to read. That and having to get your nose right in the ring with the two combatants in order to ID them adds a level of excitement.
Keep up the good work.
The craziest is the furballs when everybody is shooting. The other thing is that the engine gives you no warning before it quits. (or if there is a warning in the sound it's not obvious)

From what I've read from LW pilots is that the 109 engine would run if you overheated it, it would just run poorly and would piss off the ground crew because it would be obvious to them that you had overheated it and would require them to do a bunch of work to get it running properly.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 10:51:33 AM »
The engine mamagement is just an extra wrinkle. I find it an extra level of hard that I kinda like actually. I'm whacky like that. Flying everywhere at full throttle in anything like here is just a flat no. Some are easier to deal with than others. The P-40 is largely considered just broken. Glass engine. Flies nice tho. Just have to have a lot of extra stuff mapped to keep track of different shutters for the oil and water temps. Prop and mixture settings. What are they? There's a mod to replace the girlie photo in the cockpit with a card that tells you. Swap the pics out and there you are. It becomes second nature pretty quickly.

And it's not like you're constantly fiddling with this stuff. Once you're airborne, set things to cruise for transit. Change things out if you're gonna be running the engine hard, like in a fight. Put stuff back to cruise settings as soon as you can to get things cooled back down and get home. No biggie.

The P-38 has mostly automatic shutters for oil and water so that's easy enough. Still have to manage prop and mixture tho. Some of the LW birds have integrated controls for that but don't for the oil and water shutters. Some are manual everything. Add the turbo control for the Jug. Like that.

I haven't been online in that one in a while actually. Thinking about it. I like the smaller world there if that's how things are gonna be. And apparently they are.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2023, 11:36:31 AM »
Aye. To me the 190 has the best engine management of all. Almost everything is automatic.

The 109 is pretty easy as well as long as you don't run the engine wide open for more then a minute. It burns up pretty quick.

The Ju87 has some workload. I usually leave the water and oil coolers wide open as it's not like it will affect the speed that much more then the wheels stuck down lol.

I tried the a20 the other day and it has some extra stuff on it that made the controls wobble all around until I closed it.

I'm still learning the birds but prefer the German fighters due to their superior engine management systems. There bombers and 110s seem to be much more complex.

I also find it challenging due to little or no radar coverage and trying to find enemy based on radio reports without shooting any friendlies. (It can be a pain in the donut sometimes)

The thing I like most about it is I've never had anybody give me a warning for typing something about: "non-game related material"!  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 11:41:30 AM by hazmatt »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2023, 12:00:07 PM »
Not being able to see enemies before they are on my 6 shooting and the endless screaming in german kills the fun of il2 for me

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2023, 12:33:15 PM »
Yeah no integrated vox system is definitely a ding. Some of the servers use SRS tho which is cool. 2 radios/10 channels. That's as close as it gets but people have to be using it. Doesn't help if half are on discord or teamspeak.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2023, 12:46:58 PM »
Not being able to see enemies before they are on my 6 shooting and the endless screaming in german kills the fun of il2 for me

Eagler
Tooo funny! I agree. In my startup sequence. I press the e for engine start, followed by the alt c to close the canopy, followed by the alt - key to turn that dude babbling in German down. hahahaha

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2023, 12:48:04 PM »
Yeah no integrated vox system is definitely a ding. Some of the servers use SRS tho which is cool. 2 radios/10 channels. That's as close as it gets but people have to be using it. Doesn't help if half are on discord or teamspeak.

I agree but the thing I miss the most is the check 6 option. I see somebody about to get clobbered and have to watch it happen if I can't intercept the bad guy in time.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2023, 05:28:48 PM »

Eagler

Really, the German is what done it?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2023, 05:47:48 PM »
The Russian is just as bad lol. Constant non-helpful distracting babbling is how I hear it :)

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2023, 05:54:21 PM »
I agree but the thing I miss the most is the check 6 option. I see somebody about to get clobbered and have to watch it happen if I can't intercept the bad guy in time.
First time online over a year ago. I'm in a 38. I have a guy come from my 4 o'clock low I only got a glimpse of as he passed under me on the way to a pony off to my 10. He starts shooting at the pony and kills it. I could only watch as I was on discord with one other guy. I figured it was a 109 and cut in behind and blast him. My first kill---except it was another pony! Got warned for shooting a friendly! Lol!

Later I flew axis in a 190 and killed a 38 for my first legit kill. Hard to screw that ID up! I felt dirty tho!

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"