Author Topic: Clouds  (Read 1496 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Clouds
« on: December 28, 2023, 09:42:49 PM »
Can we get more of them at even lower altitudes? Maybe fog and marine layer too?

Seriously, enough, currently it’s way overboard. Not sure why the changes, but it just hinders ftr 2 ftr combat even more. The new maps were definitely a big improvement, thank you Kenai for your work, but clouds at 6-12k nearly constant is a step backwards.  :bhead

The quantity and interval of clouds previously was just fine, please let this be a trial period.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Clouds
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 11:00:36 PM »
Like the idea of a low haze or fog over a base. Maybe a coastal one… this is a good suggestion!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 10:14:44 AM »
Like the idea of a low haze or fog over a base. Maybe a coastal one… this is a good suggestion!

It was tried. Since it’s not used anymore does that tell you anything?

It was similar to a coastal marine layer and would be considerably more tolerable than this current 💩
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 10:19:02 AM by RotBaron »

Online Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 11:02:08 AM »
Another benefit to marine layer or low cloud base would be a reduction of bomb tarding a GV battle.  Not to mention, the reality.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 12:08:56 PM »
The problem with your suggestions is that it seems that there are only a few people whose  suggestions would be considered (and most likely implemented) If you aren't one of those people I think you're better off trying to find one of those people and bribing them to ask on you behalf :)

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 09:26:11 PM »
My taje?
Yall are trying to game nature. Just make it realistic, and deal with it like real pilots of the time. A lot if suggestions I read are very plastic. No offense intended.

Realistic is realistic, despite game play. Play around reality.

That said, fat chance. Dreams are just dreams.

I think reality should be what reality is.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2024, 03:48:26 AM »
My taje?
Yall are trying to game nature. Just make it realistic, and deal with it like real pilots of the time. A lot if suggestions I read are very plastic. No offense intended.

Realistic is realistic, despite game play. Play around reality.

That said, fat chance. Dreams are just dreams.

I think reality should be what reality is.

Imo the amount, interval and altitudes of clouds prior to a few weeks ago was realistic. On a scale I’d say we were at a 2, somehow we jumped to 7-8 al, of a sudden. It’s not just the new maps either, noticed that Fjord had them too.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 07:24:05 AM »
Each map has its own "Cloud" file. Thus they can be customized for each map, ie cloud layers over strats as opposed to other areas. They can be used to encourage bombers and fighters to  lower altitudes. Weather fronts are also on a one hour timer, much like the day time and night time in the game. Then you have the type of clouds, the saturation level, lol it gets complicated real fast. Each type of cloud has its altitude range, get that wrong and you have the Icon problem we had in etoma, learned that one the hard way.

Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 03:38:00 PM »
My saturation point is about 2 pitchers of frozen margaritas with shots on top. It must be noted that my flying generally shows the effects far prior to full saturation. Further studies are in the works.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2024, 05:25:05 PM »
LOL Shuffler, I have NEVER noticed your flying skill diminish in anyway.  :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 05:38:57 PM »
LOL Shuffler, I have NEVER noticed your flying skill diminish in anyway.  :salute

The bar is set pretty lowish...

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 03:06:17 PM »
The bar is set pretty lowish...

Indeed....   :rofl

Lower than a snakes belly in a wagon rut.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2024, 07:49:36 AM »
As discovered while watching our super star ah pilots on YouTube,  be sure to have that aim assist checked under flight in settings as it puts a nice box around your closest target that is visible in all but the thickest clouds..

You are welcome

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2024, 09:28:50 AM »
       Eww like the idea of a fog layer over the airfield, maybe a break zone out of 50 to 100 ft before threshold, would add some excitement

to the landings, now days I usually just belly it in so as to stop quicker and get it over with.
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2024, 05:57:22 AM »
       Eww like the idea of a fog layer over the airfield, maybe a break zone out of 50 to 100 ft before threshold, would add some excitement

to the landings, now days I usually just belly it in so as to stop quicker and get it over with.
Monday Night Madness in AvA has had fog, like this for years!  Never once heard a whine..it makes for some awesome fights too!
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain