Author Topic: New Computer suggestions  (Read 1091 times)

Offline CSI147

• Zinc Member
New Computer suggestions
« on: December 30, 2023, 12:09:43 PM »
Greetings. 

Absent player for about 7 years.   So I'm interested in getting back into this online game.  I'm NOT computer savvy and need all the advice I can get.  I am looking for a computer that meets and exceeds the recommended requirements needed to play Aces High.   A plug and play would be my preference.  Something compact but able to upgrade if need be.  A small PC tower, of box to place near the monitor.  Budget is around $1000 or less for the PC.  Preferably something I can order online. 

My plan is to have identical monitors, joysticks, and other hardware at two geographical locations.  I want to be able to unplug the PC and take it to either location and plug it in and start playing from there. 

I apologized is this question has been asked before.  I tried searching but came up with too many results about other types of hardware.

Thank you and Salute.

CSI147

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: New Computer suggestions
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 12:31:35 PM »
Is 1000 for the PC only or does that include two sets of controllers, monitors etc?

I'm sure you will get some very specific suggestions on this one but the one thing I think you should consider is the GPU. There are many systems you can buy with lots of ram, a super-fast cpu and integrated graphics (not a dedicated GPU)

In most cases a "gaming" system will have a price premium. You may be better off buying a standard desktop and a separate GPU and adding the GPU to your system, however then you will need to take into consideration the PSU etc.

You also might consider a gaming laptop. I picked one up a few years back for less then your budget that is VR capable.

Also, if you wanted to order a system in parts I'm pretty sure that somebody here would put it together for you.

Offline CSI147

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 12:37:37 PM »
PC only.  Thanks for the information.  I'll look at a laptops as well.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 12:37:57 PM »
Hi CSI147,

I would look to computer stores or major retailers if you don't want to build a gaming PC yourself.  Look for at least a -60 series GPU (3060 or 4060) and an i5 or Ryzen 5 or better CPU, and 16GB or memory.   Here's an example from Costco, coming in under $1,000:

https://www.costco.com/cyberpowerpc-gamer-xtreme-gaming-desktop---13th-gen-intel-core-i5-13400f----geforce-rtx-4060%2c-black.product.4000202717.html

I also like this one, if you can stretch your budget a little more:

https://www.costco.com/hp-victus-gaming-desktop-–-13th-gen-intel-core-i7-13700f-geforce-rtx-4060-–-window-11.product.4000223996.html

NewEgg has this Acer, seems to have best specs/price/performance (also under $1,000):

https://www.newegg.com/acer-po3-640-ua91-predator-orion-3000/p/N82E16883101887

« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 12:46:45 PM by oboe »

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2023, 02:43:23 PM »
Nice picks there oboe.

Personally I'd get the Acer with the 3070. From what I've seen it benches a 20 to 25% higher then the 4060. Even though it has a 12 gen CPU it is more then enough for AH3 and could be upgraded to a 13th gen down the road as they take the same socket. It also has an  SSD and a hard drive. I would put my OS and related stuff on the SDD and install the games on the hard drive. (this is just my personal pick of the 3) I'm sure others will have reasons to pick something else :)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2023, 02:48:19 PM »
Building a PC is like Lego blocks, they only go one way in unless you get really creative. The most puzzling thing is to choose the right screws, there's at least two different types of threads for the same diameter. But everything that's compatible should go in without excessive force.

An i5 and an RTX 4060 is a safe bet for most games for years to come unless you need to go to high resolutions with high frame rates in which case a stronger GPU is the remedy. 12th (i5-12###) gen would be the budget choice, 14th (i5-14###) gen for the latest. Both are Win11 compatible and perform roughly the same so...

Something like this, given you can get a Windows license elsewhere:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kCkLbL

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($177.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-TB 47.72 CFM CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 D DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($40.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Kingston NV2 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($41.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card  ($299.99 @ B&H)
Case: MagniumGear NEO AIR (2023) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.99 @ B&H)
Total: $920.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-12-30 15:36 EST-0500

Notice that this was compiled along the 12th gen i5 CPU. The 14th gen would be some $150 more and although the rest would be compatible you'd have to make sure the bios version is up to date. That may require using an older CPU for updating. A local builder shop would be a good choice in such a situation as they'd have some spares just for that. Also I chose the Z790 chipset just in case you'd like to overclock but if that's not your thing choosing another compatible chipset may save a hundred bucks.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 03:50:49 PM »
That's a nice build Bizman.

Personally I think you're better off going with a system like this if you can swing it as I think you can get better quality components then the "lowest" bidder approach of most of the stuff that comes as an assembled system. It will also be easier for you to replace failed parts or upgrade in the future.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 03:45:33 AM »
That's a nice build Bizman.

Personally I think you're better off going with a system like this if you can swing it as I think you can get better quality components then the "lowest" bidder approach of most of the stuff that comes as an assembled system. It will also be easier for you to replace failed parts or upgrade in the future.
Thanks.

Speaking about difficulty in upgrading especially HP has been known to use a hard coded "whitelist" in the bios, allowing only components in the list. For what I've seen their upgrading options are limited to parts that are of the same age with the original setup. Another thing to look at with <brand> computers is the power supply. Not long ago I saw an Acer "gaming PC" with a very special PSU: The main power cable to the motherboard only had some eight pins instead of the standard 24. And all power for other components were taken from the motherboard, including SATA power for the hard disks.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2023, 08:04:32 AM »
Micro center has a PC build service, so you can pick out the components from what they sell, and they will build the system same-day for you.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2023, 11:21:28 AM »
That's good to know about Microcenter. I build my own but in case of a friend that needs one built that is helpful.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2023, 05:21:36 PM »
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2023, 05:24:00 PM »
I want one! Wonder how many bit that processor is.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2023, 06:43:55 PM »
I have a custom Dell XPS model, I loaded it with a Nvidia 306ti, works great straight out of the box. Didn't need to tinker with anything to play AH, and I'm running 100% full detail. My monitor just chokes me off with a refresh rate of 60, so only 60fps. which is good enough.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2024, 05:53:00 AM »
That Costco setup posted by Oboe looks decent for an assembled computer.

Here's a build that will do 60 fps with all settings maxxed out for about $625 (not including monitor or windows):

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,408040.msg5410781.html#msg5410781

But you have to order the parts and put them together.  Or have someone you know do it for you.

Windows costs $35 to $200 depending on how you buy it (key only can be had for $35 or so, retail is $200).  A decent 24" 1080p monitor is about $100.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2024, 05:55:51 AM »
CSI147, if you live anywhere near Nashville, TN, I'll build you one if you want.