Author Topic: Get rid of in-flight kill announcements  (Read 1846 times)

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Get rid of in-flight kill announcements
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2023, 11:33:09 AM »
You of course won't get it, but not because it isn't a reasonable compromise or it being too difficult to implement.

Unless you can get somebody who has Dales ear to recommend it.  :bolt:

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2024, 05:01:59 PM »
I don't particularly like the kill counter. It defeats the purpose of being strategic in the sense that I know who it is who just got a kill on my friendly and can set up accordingly if needed. This means they can do the same for me, and use it to hunt and gang once they know it's me. While I do like that it adds some notice that things are going on on the map, i feel like from a strategy standpoint it's not good. It also does clog up the comms screen and shows everyone who killed you, which for some may turn them off.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2024, 11:25:10 AM »
I do no reason an individual should not have the option to turn off their kill messages. I never said turn them off for everybody. If you like the spam, you should be able to enjoy it. Having to scroll through a bunch of kill messages that I could care less about to see who it was that I got a kill on 10 minutes ago because I'm finally in a safe enough space to be able to send a salute is not my idea of useful or helpful. It's obvious that you're going to defend whatever happens. If HT decides to them off you will be the one defending them being turned off. Some of us have opinions of our own on things :)
Turn of which display

1. The display of other peoples kills on your system.
2. Turn of your kills displayed to others?

HiTech

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2024, 11:56:21 AM »
Turn of which display

HiTech

It would be number 1.
The ability to not display the kills of others on your local system. You would only see the damage/kills you made on your local system. (the was it was before the kills were broadcast)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2024, 07:37:49 PM »
If you chose not to see a kill by kill buffer, you'd be at a disadvantage against guys that are using it.

If I can cursor over a map and know roughly what friendlies I have in an area, I'll have a good idea who my opponents are based on the buffer.  Keep in mind I separate my chat buffer and system messages buffer.  I can decide what I want to see.

I see pros and cons to both ways.

Online hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2024, 07:39:41 PM »
I'm not arguing that some won't want to use it. I just think it would be nice for the people who see it as spam to turn it off on their computer.

The whole point is that turning it off would only affect you. Nobody else would even know.

Offline mustng2

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2024, 02:08:06 PM »
I'm not arguing that some won't want to use it. I just think it would be nice for the people who see it as spam to turn it off on their computer.

The whole point is that turning it off would only affect you. Nobody else would even know.

I very much agree with this.  The kill spam means I have to have 2 windows, one for system messages which I only need the ones to me only (gun destroyed, hanger destroyed etc) and another for communication with other players.  Much better to have one window for both.  We cannot do that now because the kill spam fills the window in a few seconds.  Just make it an option.

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2024, 10:35:50 AM »
I very much like it as an option vs mandatory. I might be in the rare case I like it as it gives an over all at who I’m facing and what to expect on a limited basis. But that’s more on knowledge of general opponents and the odds of them being in a particular ride so I set myself up accordingly in some circumstances. Might be a little games but I’m just using what I have available.

In the grand scheme of things tho sometimes it does get chaotic especially when semi important conversations are being held lol.
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2024, 11:26:40 AM »
I have the messages broken out into two windows..

I like the messages in AH much better than what is provided in IL2 or DCS

Same with the verbal messages...ah is best there too

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2024, 04:02:47 PM »
I have the messages broken out into two windows..

I like the messages in AH much better than what is provided in IL2 or DCS

Same with the verbal messages...ah is best there too

Eagler

Best way to do it

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2024, 01:50:51 AM »
Turn of which display

I'd go further than what's being proposed here and suggest if a player turns off kill messages then he doesn't get them and anyone who shoots him down just gets a "Kill recorded" message or some other anonymous System message also. If anyone really wants to know who it was they can look at their film. If you think about it the live, in-game kill message is either used to Salute (pretty rare now), gloat or locate where that person was flying for players holding grudges. Hard to see the positive contribution to gameplay.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2024, 07:59:04 AM »
The kill message system in AH has always been great.  Never understood the want to disable it for everyone.  The squad likes the kill messages so much we have found mods to produce similar messages in other games.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2024, 08:43:59 AM »
At least they turned off the oinks.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2024, 08:49:12 AM »
I like seeing the kill messages, and sometimes text out a 'WTG' on a good run. I like options also.

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2024, 09:50:16 AM »
Lets not confuse the two messages......

Kill message...

HOST: "Fugitive shot down XXXXX Kill #1"

Landing message...

"Fugitive landed 3 victories in a P-47N of the Sick Puppies MWK"

The first one, the kill message, makes it very easy to see where an enemy player is and makes it easy to hunt them down if that is your plan. Removing those messages would go a long way to avoiding some of the aggravation some players having been harassed in the game. Removing this message would clear up that issue a bit.

The landing message is the one that should stay. When HTC turned on the "kill messages" it was for the "new guys" to see their name in lights because getting 2 kills AND surviving takes a lot more experience it was hoped they may get more excited and hang around longer seeing the kill message. The landing message is the real "Name in Lights" thing and builds a positive community with the <S> it draws for a good run.

Id like to see the kill message reduced to just a host message to the killer (You have shot down XXXXX) and the killeee (you were shot down by XXXXX). As the numbers grow.... we hope.... the "spam" of the kill messages is going to clutter up the message windows more and more.