Author Topic: I've been warned to NOT use this AV...  (Read 459 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
I've been warned to NOT use this AV...
« on: December 31, 2023, 04:52:48 PM »
I have used Kaspersky for year's and year's and I have found ZEERO threats on security or lack there of protection from their several different products. I was just told tonight about an hour ago that THE Russians own the comany which has created Kaspersky... ??? For the love of God plese stop it with this tramendouse threat against our computers, banks, work and even HOME life too!

Have any of you heard about this rubbish of Kaspersky being owned and created by the Russians???  :bhead :noid :bolt:

Thanks
Morph!  <S>

So in other words... If it is Russian should I f find a new AV? :joystick:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 05:25:56 PM by Morpheus »
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
Re: I've been warned to NOT use this AV...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 05:15:06 PM »
Kaspersky Lab is a Russian multinational cybersecurity and anti-virus provider. Headquarters in Moscow and operated by a holding company in the United Kingdom. Founded in 1997 by Eugene Kaspersky, Natalya Kaspersky and Alexey De-Monderik. So, it is Russian.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 05:25:11 PM »
I head Il2 is Russian too. OMG! Format your drives!

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 05:27:25 PM »

Yes it is. Both the sim and the kite it got its name from.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 06:40:10 PM »

I heard both it was Russian and then French. Personally, I just like American made stuff as a general rule. I personally don't want to send money to either.  Personal preference. SO, that was my excuse for stayin away from IL-2,... which I just don't like anyway.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 07:10:13 PM »
Then what Anti-Virus do you recommend??
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 08:01:06 PM »

Linux (that's what I'm using to post this)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 08:09:48 PM »

I heard both it was Russian and then French. Personally, I just like American made stuff as a general rule. I personally don't want to send money to either.  Personal preference. SO, that was my excuse for stayin away from IL-2,... which I just don't like anyway.

AMEN!!!!!

Life in this country to me is WAAAAY BETTER than anywhere else!!!! We do have those what have turnned into bad jokes Polically speaking! Presidents trying to mirror Adolf Hitler and bring back thbe nazi regime   :uhoh :noid :bolt:
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 03:59:07 AM »

Avast. I use free versions of it and Malwarebytes together with CCleaner Professional.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 04:49:39 AM »
For Windows: The built-in Defender finds viruses as well/badly as any of the paid ones. Known viruses, that is.

Malwarebytes paid version might well add another defensive layer to that.

McAfee and Norton use ridiculously exaggerating terminology: For them everything is a "threat" or "problem" or "something that needs to be repaired". Honestly, how big of an issue 1 Mb of temp files really is? Or outdated virus signatures in a computer that hasn't even been on for a week? And is the program broken if it needs to be repaired? Even if the issue is that you haven't checked for updates manually when auto-update is pending?

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2024, 07:17:15 AM »

Nod32 for years here...only the AV, nothing else

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2024, 10:23:59 AM »
I remember many years ago I started up my windows computer and the antivirus detected windows as a virus and proceeded to delete a bunch of windows files that broke the computer. That's when I figured out windows was a virus.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2024, 01:55:18 PM »
For Windows: The built-in Defender finds viruses as well/badly as any of the paid ones. Known viruses, that is.

Malwarebytes paid version might well add another defensive layer to that.

McAfee and Norton use ridiculously exaggerating terminology: For them everything is a "threat" or "problem" or "something that needs to be repaired". Honestly, how big of an issue 1 Mb of temp files really is? Or outdated virus signatures in a computer that hasn't even been on for a week? And is the program broken if it needs to be repaired? Even if the issue is that you haven't checked for updates manually when auto-update is pending?

Exactly what I do.And I agree with those two apps, they are bloated resource sucking nonsense, that don't work any better than free stuff. IMO. I've yet to get any thing in years. Usually false positives.

Decades ago, I took on the habit of partitioning my drives so that ONLY windows was on drive C. I changed all windows and browser temp folders to it's own drive, all software on another, and all my person files on yet other drives. (All the same size drives for HHD.) Saved the registry file for all these changes. This way, if anything happened to Windows I simply formatted drive C:, re-installed Windows, hit the reg file and I was up and running fresh with everything intact in 1 hr.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP