Author Topic: VKB Gladiator NXT Evo axis spiking  (Read 692 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
VKB Gladiator NXT Evo axis spiking
« on: December 14, 2023, 10:48:36 AM »
The X axis (ailerons)started spiking (stick is 2 months old) I've calibrated in game as well as VKB software. I'm using a powered USB hub. Any suggestions for a remedy?

Thanks

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: VKB Gladiator NXT Evo axis spiking
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 10:51:39 AM »
Utoh. Looks like I'm about to get talked out of buying this stick.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 01:16:20 PM »
2 months is well within warranty.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 06:22:30 PM »
Could be a couple of things. Easiest would be to open it up and look at the wire connectors that plug into the PCB. I'd unplug and plug them back in for starters. Any loose connection will produce noise in the signal.

Could be some metal chips stuck on the magnets too. They'd produce noise.

These sensors are highly sensitive but don't wear out like the old pots did. Look for stuff like this before you think about sending it back.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2023, 07:58:41 PM »
I did a Google on this and one fix had to do with interference from a WiFi modem. Coincidently, I obtained a new one from my ISP yesterday. The fix suggested separation between the modem and the stick, which I did by 2". It reduced spiking but did not eliminate it.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2023, 08:39:40 PM »
First I've heard of that.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2023, 08:51:28 PM »
I did a Google on this and one fix had to do with interference from a WiFi modem. Coincidently, I obtained a new one from my ISP yesterday. The fix suggested separation between the modem and the stick, which I did by 2". It reduced spiking but did not eliminate it.

Metal is a great blocker to wifi signals. put a piece of metal between your stick and the modem. Adjust as necessary so as to not lose wifi signal where you need it, but to block the signal to your stick. Wrapping some tinfoil around the base of your stick might be enough to settle it down.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2023, 08:55:27 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2023, 10:07:57 AM »
Sounds like it's time to make a tinfoil hat for your stick.  :noid

:devil
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2023, 10:16:47 AM »
I did move the modem away and to the other side of my desktop case, which has helped considerably. Now the stick is bebooting itself, power wise occasionally. I've started a ticket with VKB.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 08:20:35 PM »
Max, make sure your usb devices are set to never power off, as well as the computer.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2023, 06:21:34 PM »
I have no idea if this applies....

Totally not knowing the inside or cabling for it. In the sound biz, any cable carrying low voltage signal is shielded with aluminum wrapping under the insulation around the wire. This is done to prevent leakage into the conductors by things like WIFI, RF, TV, Radio...and any other signal types passing through the air.

We had one incident when our sound system took on a radio station we could not get rid of. There are 100s of shielded cables we had to check, process of elimination. Turn out to be a XLR mic cable where on the inside of the connector the shield didn't make it all the way to the end of the conductors, therefore it leaked radio waves. Just the right problem in just the right location, ya just can't blueprint that stuff.

SO, when someone brought up tin foil, I instantly think of wire shields. If a cable gets moved a lot this can happen, or it could be a flawed cable. Inside the box cabling would have the same effect.  Our now optic fiber cables do not have this problem, they are not shielded as they just pass data.

IF aluminum shields works, I would point to a cabling problem. This would also apply to HDMI and USB cables. They should be shielded. You could try just buying one new one and replace them one at a time with it, until you strike gold.

No matter what the component, 90% of the time I trouble shoot a concert sound system it ends up being a bad cable.

Just a thought, nothing more.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 06:29:52 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 10:25:02 AM »
Trust me. Unplug and plug back in the little white wire connectors coming from the stick to the PCB. All of them. It's a thing--really. Open up the base. It's OK. You're NOT gonna void a warranty. VKB is OK with it.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2024, 10:23:07 PM »
Any word from Max on if he resolved this? I've got a VKB gunfighter and grip incoming even though its a different animal, I'd like to now if it is a VKB issue.