Author Topic: Dot Dar  (Read 3064 times)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Dot Dar
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2024, 12:00:32 PM »
I think alot of changes could go back to the way they were,

it wasn't broken so why try and fix it. 

dot dar
downtime commands
m3 resupply (for towns)  etc etc
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2024, 12:16:20 PM »
Or an option to select plane icons or just dot icons

The ability to see flight path info should go 1st imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2024, 09:21:25 PM »
I’d settle for eliminating the aircraft proximity radar. This crap where you don’t even need to look out of the cockpit to see the bad guys is weak sauce. It takes away the need for anything resembling SA. Not to mention it takes away any strategic value for the radar tower.

I agree. Put it back the way it was.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2024, 01:15:16 PM »
I wouldn't mind the proximity radar if it was tied to aircraft that had radar like the P-61, F6F-5N or F4U-2. First we would need those aircraft lol

Offline dieter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 02:42:16 PM »
Jeez, I agree with Lazer on this one for the most part.  I would to see dot dar again instead of vector and type ac.  I would think to simplify things you could add some complexity to the RADAR mapping.  For instance do a shadow map for coverage, and in the instance of a chain home style radar you only had an a-scope (range only), so there would not be any bearing over a close to 100 degree arc.  I assume they used some sort of triangulation to decide the bearing.  So in the light of what could become problematic in explanation for the laymen, dot dar with an enhanced RADAR shadow mapping based on a 3D resolution cell mapping (lookup table) for the lower altitudes to see if you could be detected would be fun.

Dieter

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2024, 04:51:52 PM »
Imagine MA with the dar setting in the MOTA

That would be interesting until no one showed up..

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2024, 06:37:27 PM »
Wasn't the British radar able to detect aircraft & altitude in WW2?
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2024, 06:51:09 PM »
Wasn't the British radar able to detect aircraft & altitude in WW2?
They were able to, however, I don't know how quickly/timely the altitude info was because later in the war the Germans bombing Britain would use a shallow dive heading home, and from I've read, and the higher speed and constantly changing altitude caused problems for the British interceptors.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2024, 09:38:12 PM »
Thanks Hazmat, good info. Never considered that.
 :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2024, 03:11:48 AM »
Electronic warfare went on during WW2. At the beginning of World War II, Germany had progressed farther in the development of radar than any other country. The Germans employed radar on the ground and in the air for defense against Allied bombers. Radar was installed on a German pocket battleship as early as 1936. British were working hard to catch up and did it. Every time one side developed something new, other side found some counter measurements.

The whole subject is so large it's better to put some links for those interested: Radar in World War II

The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2024, 06:13:10 AM »
The US had radar in Dec 1941..

But it didn't do much good at Pearl Harbor

Eagler

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2024, 11:03:02 AM »
The plane icons are gamey..

Not a huge fan of proximity radar either.  I understand they had it in ww2, but not the way it functions in the MA.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2024, 11:08:23 AM »
I remember reading something about the Brits putting a radar in the tail of the Lancaster to warn of approaching German night fighters. The Germans used it to home in on the Brit bombers. LOL.

I find the whole night fighter thing fascinating. I think it would be cool to have a multi-crew fighter where you were flying around in the dark trying to find bombers or being in a Brit night fighter trying to find the night fighters.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2024, 01:02:58 PM »
I think alot of changes could go back to the way they were,

it wasn't broken so why try and fix it. 

dot dar
downtime commands
m3 resupply (for towns)  etc etc

The only thing that was broken was how easy it was to take down dars at fields. That is what should have been adjusted IMO. The dar now is a bit too easy mode as it is now.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2024, 01:11:37 PM »
Well after 20 years of watching things happen here there were two things that helped push people out of the game.

The changes to dar/gv dar
The lameness of resupply instead of fighting for your base

Sucked the intensity of a fight right out of the game for the majority of a 24 hour period.