Author Topic: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable  (Read 27850 times)

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
Re: Simulated Aerial Combat Roundtable
« Reply #1335 on: April 24, 2024, 03:04:51 PM »
New Thrustmaster product reveal later today.

https://www.thrustmaster.com/discord-reveal/

Guess it's already revealed.

https://www.thrustmaster.com/products/ava-base/

Looking at the reveal I don't see any real improvements over other companies like Virpil.  I would be willing to bet TM will be pricing it on the high-end of other competitive sticks. 

I was a devoted TM user for about 20 years till their customer service and continued use of cheap pot metal forced me to look elsewhere.  Sad to see a once innovative company stand still as time marches on.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1336 on: April 24, 2024, 08:14:37 PM »
I still use my Warthog throttle. I did the deltasim mod for it a couple of years ago. The original eraser thumbstick was useless. Had a heck of a time with the Deltasim mod for a while though. Every now and then it would lose calibration and nothing I could do would get it working again short of putting the original mini stick back in, calibrating, then replacing it with the deltasim mod. Then I could calibrate it again. The guy who made it had no clue. May have had something to do with fact I get frequent, often buggy, updates from the Windows Insider program. I finally figured out that something was causing the windows registry settings for the stick to have settings which made it inoperable. I changed the permissions on the key so that it cannot be overwritten and have had no more problems.

Here's the key if you run into this:  Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_044F&PID_0404

BTW, I tried the Chinese knock off mod first because it was cheaper. My advice, don't.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 08:17:15 PM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #1337 on: April 25, 2024, 04:00:55 PM »
New Thrustmaster product reveal later today.

https://www.thrustmaster.com/discord-reveal/

Guess it's already revealed.

https://www.thrustmaster.com/products/ava-base/

Considering my age and what I already have, if it's not FFB I'll never buy another controller.   Thrustmaster among others could do it, I know they could... and (JMHO) I think they could turn a profit with it.  Just not ~enough~ profit to please the bean counters, or they'd already be there.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1338 on: April 25, 2024, 04:57:04 PM »
Considering my age and what I already have, if it's not FFB I'll never buy another controller.

I'm old. I'll never buy another dog or wife but it's too depressing to think I won't buy another joystick.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #1339 on: April 27, 2024, 09:17:09 PM »
The Catalina Winemixer DCS Server is live once again. Running Warbirds pretty much the whole time.

Training mission.

Search Catalina
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1341 on: May 01, 2024, 08:38:46 AM »
I took it for a spin this morning. This quote in that thread is pretty accurate.

"Compared to a Huey it flies like a drunken bear riding a unicycle on top of a basketball in a skating rink."

Magnum PI music not included.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1342 on: May 01, 2024, 08:44:15 AM »
Wife just told me about this commercial about our hobby..pretty awesome even if you aren't into jets:

Hard to believe that this program, aircraft, mission, and manual are free to everybody:

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #1343 on: May 01, 2024, 08:47:25 AM »
DCS on steam is still vomiting numbers.
Peak time down from 3,300 to 1200 or less, still falling in a steep decline.

DCS is losing numbers faster than AH.

Explains the desperation here
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1344 on: May 01, 2024, 08:51:09 AM »
Don't do DCS on Steam. Limitations with no advantages. I have over 500 Steam games but DCS isn't one of them.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1345 on: May 01, 2024, 08:59:09 AM »
If you have no experience in choppers, rl or sim, that probably isn't a good bird to learn in. You'll give up, quickly. Or start throwing things.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #1346 on: May 01, 2024, 09:11:49 AM »
Don't do DCS on Steam. Limitations with no advantages. I have over 500 Steam games but DCS isn't one of them.

There is truth in what you stated. However, it depends on how one squints their eyes. AH suffered the same in steam, which was the start of decline. It is an indicator. Because it is also true, DCS numbers are on decline. Its no longer in its prime. And this production issue is going to scare many off.  It has two bad situations converging at just the wrong time..

AH2 major problem was AH3 came too late. Time was wasted on an update of other things that got trashed. Thats where they lost the most. AH3 was too late. Your fix fir DCS may come too late. Its in the same state now. Nothing new, no bug fixes.

It is kinda karma.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1347 on: May 01, 2024, 09:19:07 AM »
The game doesn't function differently in Steam but the free trials and sales work differently. Steam is convenient but not worth giving up that functionality. Short of World War DCS will be around for many years to come. Perhaps AH will too.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1348 on: May 01, 2024, 09:29:45 AM »
Hard to believe that this program, aircraft, mission, and manual are free to everybody:

Hadn't flown it much because jets aren't my main thing, but it is very impressive. 

Hard to believe that was all player made.  Wish some player dev teams would backfill some needed warbirds.  Seems like that would be easier with not fancy electronics to model.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1349 on: May 01, 2024, 09:36:09 AM »
Get to the choppa!

Comes with a TC paint job (and others) of course.

I'll have to give that one a try while waiting for the Kiowa.

Maybe someone will do a set of Magnum P.I. missions for it.  :D

This mission set had a feel kinda like what that would be.  Fun missions if you have a huey.  Wonder if it could be modified to use the OH-6 instead.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.