Author Topic: Anyone use SmoothTrack with AH?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Anyone use SmoothTrack with AH?
« on: January 20, 2024, 03:50:32 PM »
As stated in another thread, VR is not for me for now. I like the idea of trackir but do not want to spend the $150. https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,408720.0.html

SmoothTrack is only $10 and works with many sims apparently. Anyone use it here?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 03:52:19 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Re: Anyone use SmoothTrack with AH?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 07:27:31 PM »
It works! It almost works too good. I will have to adjust the axis sensitivities to make the movement smoother but I can already tell it’s going to be what I needed.

I will let everyone know what I did once I get the sensitivities smoothed out. Definitely a new way to play for me and will take some getting used to. Not bad for a $10 app.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 08:11:06 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 08:31:37 PM »
It works! It almost works too good. I will have to adjust the axis sensitivities to make the movement smoother but I can already tell it’s going to be what I needed.

I will let everyone know what I did once I get the sensitivities smoothed out. Definitely a new way to play for me and will take some getting used to. Not bad for a $10 app.

After your initial post, I went studying up on this and I'm sold after reading your 2nd post. It's 10 freaking dollars! Maybe invest in a mount for my phone right on the monitor and that's it.
Thanks for shedding light on this.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 09:51:17 PM »
After your initial post, I went studying up on this and I'm sold after reading your 2nd post. It's 10 freaking dollars! Maybe invest in a mount for my phone right on the monitor and that's it.
Thanks for shedding light on this.
[/quote

Yup same here. I have tripods I can use too. Will take a hot minute to get the sensitivities dialed in but pretty pretty good otherwise.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 10:47:01 AM »
Wow, what a game changer. Mine worked right off the bat. I need to futz around with some settings and whatnot but pretty useable. No discernible lag but I'd like to try it in USB mode anyways as it's quite a battery drain to my phone. I also need to buy a mount or tripod as you describe as the phone below the monitor angled to see my face is less than ideal. Perhaps mounted to the top or side with a non-angled view.
 My joystick will be here tomorrow so I can map a recenter button and toggle it on and off at will.
It's gonna take some getting used to but so far, a sweet addition to the game.
Thanks again for bringing it to my attention.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 11:06:52 AM »
Glad it worked!

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 09:53:40 AM »
Yep I use it, for $10.00 you get a lot best poor man’s head tracker on the market in my opinion.

OpenTrack freeware is another option if you already have a webcam.  Though head movement can be a little glitchy if you wear glasses.
Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 04:48:49 AM »
Yep I use it, for $10.00 you get a lot best poor man’s head tracker on the market in my opinion.

OpenTrack freeware is another option if you already have a webcam.  Though head movement can be a little glitchy if you wear glasses.

I use opentrack with an old PS3 eyecam,  main annoyance is any wayward light source can mess with your tracking.  If you play from under the stairs or a darkened room then you will have no problems. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 01:30:39 PM »
I'm having a hard time imaging how this works on a 22" screen. When you turn your head, are you not now looking away from the screen, and what about rear views....lost ghost with lazy mind
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 01:50:53 PM »
I'm having a hard time imaging how this works on a 22" screen. When you turn your head, are you not now looking away from the screen, and what about rear views....lost ghost with lazy mind

You can still use the hat views and look around wherever you point. My screen is 55” so I can’t speak to a smaller one.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2024, 01:58:16 PM »

With a trackir product you set it up so that small turn of your head goes like 90 degrees so you are still looking at the monitor

And you still use the jstick views

It's much better than jstick views alone and good step towards vr

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2024, 02:34:31 PM »
I use opentrack with an old PS3 eyecam,  main annoyance is any wayward light source can mess with your tracking.  If you play from under the stairs or a darkened room then you will have no problems.

Have you done a IR filter fix if your using infra red LED's head gear.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2024, 08:18:37 PM »
So far I can't get it to work....which sucks because my view hat just went out. damn stick is falling apart.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2024, 09:03:38 PM »
So far I can't get it to work....which sucks because my view hat just went out. damn stick is falling apart.

Was a pretty easy set up not sure why.

Open open track.
Open smooth track.
Press start on open track.
Calibrate smooth track.
Open game.
You have to make sure that “vr disabled” is unchecked in the AH settings.

You kind of need the hats to make it most useful to be honest.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 09:05:11 PM by Dadtallica »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2024, 09:22:02 PM »
Was a pretty easy set up not sure why.

Open open track.
Open smooth track.
Press start on open track.
Calibrate smooth track.
Open game.
You have to make sure that “vr disabled” is unchecked in the AH settings.

You kind of need the hats to make it most useful to be honest.

I got it,... everything had to update. It's kind of disorienting at first. I'm not sure how my plane is oriented.

Ya my hat is 100% toast. I have my other hat, but it only has 4 views and I have a long reach to get to that one.

This will get me through the scenario I HOPE. Will be working tomorrow so no time to order a new stick.

I can't imagine what else can go wrong, but it will, maybe my right arm will fall off,...pray for me. LOL
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 09:48:07 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks