Author Topic: Why External Views For Bombers?  (Read 280 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Why External Views For Bombers?
« on: February 08, 2024, 10:40:46 PM »
Not complaining just curious… why is this the norm?
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Re: Why External Views For Bombers?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2024, 10:49:04 PM »
I remember something said back in the day about modeling multiple sets of eyeballs. It could have been AW but I think it was here.

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 12:35:11 AM »
Not complaining just curious… why is this the norm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f_Z3GEWCME

External views increase SA exponentially as displayed in the video above
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 02:27:58 AM »
Because bombers have several crew members and 3-kite formation, so every view to every direction is more ore less available IRL. EW simulates it to pilot, as jumping from plane to plane for different positions and views is bit too much for one man.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 06:26:37 AM »
They need the handicap advantage?

Not sure why they ever had external views

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 08:23:34 AM »
Because bombers have several crew members and 3-kite formation, so every view to every direction is more ore less available IRL. EW simulates it to pilot, as jumping from plane to plane for different positions and views is bit too much for one man.

This sounds logical.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2024, 08:24:58 AM »
EW simulates it to pilot, as jumping from plane to plane for different positions and views is bit too much for one man.

That's one of the elements to flying bombers in AH3 that I have mastered. Mastery of this skill boosts the survivability of bombers. Transitioning from gun to gun along with selecting which of the three bombers to shoot from makes all the difference.

"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations." Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s. It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns." Diaster

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2024, 08:36:54 AM »

I think you got it.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 09:19:44 AM »
The real question is why do Bombers not rip their wings off pulling 4g turns in a dive then have enough energy to climb 5 thousand feet.

I don't believe B17s were ever used as dive bombers...

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 09:44:18 AM »
The real question is why do Bombers not rip their wings off pulling 4g turns in a dive then have enough energy to climb 5 thousand feet.

I don't believe B17s were ever used as dive bombers...

Im guessing because 1543 pounds of ordnance from a 190 F8 can’t destroy a tinfoil hangar it makes an entire ground attack plane set useless. So you have to use heavy bombers to do that.  It’s all about ‘balance’ you know.  ;)
Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 10:08:40 AM »
Im guessing because 1543 pounds of ordnance from a 190 F8 can’t destroy a tinfoil hangar it makes an entire ground attack plane set useless. So you have to use heavy bombers to do that.  It’s all about ‘balance’ you know.  ;)

You can do it with an A8 fully loaded.

Last night I took out a vh with a P47N with only six rockets and several passes with the guns. It was like 5-6 total passes. My rockets didn’t hit flush so it could have taken less passes perhaps. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 10:10:27 AM by Dadtallica »