Author Topic: I.P. for sale?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Re: I.P. for sale?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2024, 12:39:06 PM »
I suspect the open source community would have access to the needed skill set. 

Why no discussion on open source? Is that a bad word around here? If it is the filter didn't catch it...

i work in software development, hire people etc. You'd be very hard pressed to find anyone willing to dabble in C. And once you did - they would name the price. Given HiTech's experience and knowledge, it would take months if not years for that person to understand the code they have to maintain. Idea that someone would expand upon it is a dream. Unless HT starts working on the game again, nothing will change. Unless you got couple millions to spare and don't expect a return.

Most of todays mods/expansions and such are written in things like Java or scripting languages. There are thousands of developers for those. For C - i doubt you'd find 1000 people worldwide that would have sufficient experience to understand HT's code.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2024, 12:43:09 PM »
XBox controller came with my Oculus headset. Finally found a use for it with the DCS AH-64D (front seat).

True.  I use one for that.  But it would get ugly if I was having to fly with it. ;)
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2024, 01:13:02 PM »
True.  I use one for that.  But it would get ugly if I was having to fly with it. ;)

Isn't there a player in DCS who flies regularly with an XBOX controller?  Thought I saw him post tutorials etc.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2024, 01:20:56 PM »
Isn't there a player in DCS who flies regularly with an XBOX controller?  Thought I saw him post tutorials etc.

It wouldn't surprise me.  If you are young enough to have grown up with them it would feel natural.

My thumbs just don't have that muscle memory.  :rofl
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2024, 01:28:23 PM »
It’s hard to manage a rudder with a console controller. 
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2024, 03:39:55 PM »
Maybe the answer lies in ai. Seems like with all the stuff ai can do these days coding might be there at some point.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2024, 03:58:05 PM »
I put extensions on my Warthog stick and now my Virpil stick. Finer control. It'd be hard to extend an xbox stick.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2024, 04:12:15 PM »
There's a reason they don't put PC FPS in the same arena with console FPS games. A mouse has a big advantage over a thumbstick.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2024, 04:47:31 PM »
I put extensions on my Warthog stick and now my Virpil stick. Finer control. It'd be hard to extend an xbox stick.

Which stick do you like better and did you buy or make you extension?

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2024, 05:05:04 PM »

Virple's a dream compared to Warthog.  Much finer control, especially for Helo's and say, Refueling.  Warthog is a fine stick by any measure but very stiff compared to Virple.  Only issue I've had with Virple is sometimes I have to work at getting the Trim-hat to work.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2024, 05:43:06 PM »

I like the Virpil better. I bought the extensions. Not expensive.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2024, 06:01:47 PM »
AI can most likely build the code but you will still need humans to implement it for now.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2024, 02:07:31 AM »
Maybe the answer lies in ai. Seems like with all the stuff ai can do these days coding might be there at some point.

not in terms of "improving" existing AH code. AI needs a ton of source data to "learn". Given how specific this code likely is, there is literally no reference to "learn" from. 

You might try to use AI to implement new game of this type, but performance might be bit of an issue.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2024, 10:07:02 AM »
There's a reason they don't put PC FPS in the same arena with console FPS games. A mouse has a big advantage over a thumbstick.

Just goes to show there are always alternatives:

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2024, 11:46:00 AM »
I'm sure there are some who could learn to do air refueling with an xbox controller but I'd rather listen to a Brandon speech than do that myself.