Author Topic: Transition from twisty to pedal rudder issues?  (Read 403 times)

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
Transition from twisty to pedal rudder issues?
« on: March 07, 2024, 12:34:59 AM »
Thinking I might make the transition from twisty stick to pedals in the rudder department. Anyone make that transition without issues? I've been twisty since the day MS came out with the Sidewinder  in about '93-ish? I have my forefinger hovering over the buy button for  the VKB Mark V's and just wondering if it's worth trying to use the more traditional way to utilize rudders. Anyone find it easier to stick to twist?
Also: anyone use or have difficulty with the Mark V's?
https://www.vkbcontrollers.com/products/t-rudders-mk-v-rudder-pedals

I'd run a Neilson Poll to find what people prefer but I don't know how.
Thanks
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Transition from twisty to pedal rudder issues?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2024, 01:29:40 AM »
Back in my active days I started with a twisty and it became second nature. Then when the hobby matured I got pedals. For a while I didn't remember I had them, they were just a foot rest. But it didn't take too long to get accustomed to them, a couple of months or so. Similar to any new motor skill, it takes a couple of weeks to remember how you're now supposed to act and a couple of months to build a neural route for that skill. Some say that it's about building new synapses, some other say that it's only about assigning a new task to an existing synapse. Nevertheless, that's how the learning process goes. And of course it will take some more time to hone the new skill to perfection.

For me it worked to the point that I automatically kick on the floor whenever flying despite having been very inactive for quite some time.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 07:34:55 AM »
I recently switched from ch pro pedals that slide to the VKB mark V which has a gas pedal/pivot type pedal action and not a slide one..

The difference took longer than I thought it would

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2024, 08:55:50 AM »
I recently switched from ch pro pedals that slide to the VKB mark V which has a gas pedal/pivot type pedal action and not a slide one..

The difference took longer than I thought it would

Eagler

Do you now prefer the up/down pedal type?
Are the VKB mark V's as sturdy as they look?
I figure I'm transitioning from rudder on stick to a whole new set of limbs so I figured sliders vs up/down would come down to what is the most natural. So I'm thinking pedal action similar to a car. Plus, I could use them for a driving sim.

Thanks
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 09:39:57 AM »
The VKB pedals are much better constructed..all metal

They have a finer control once you get the hang of it

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2024, 09:52:15 AM »
The VKB pedals are much better constructed..all metal

They have a finer control once you get the hang of it

Eagler

Thanks. I just watched a bunch of reviews on YouTube as well. Grabbing them.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 12:59:59 PM »
I have a ton of pedals, VKBs (x2), Virpil's ace collection and their newer Torqs, a couple of Slaw sets, MFG (sold these to a friend), and a pile of older plastic peds like CH, Saitek combat pedals, etc.

VKB IMO by far offer the best bang/$, and even without the $ considered they stand up in my top 2, with a $800 Slaw custom set being the only ones I might use instead - but not for a game like AH where gun shooting accuracy is SO critical.  VKB's beat all on that score, at least for me.

The reason for that is what Eagle was saying already - the mechanism of action/motion.  The VKB pedals use more of the body's small motor skill as opposed to more gross motor skill movements, resulting in much more precision.  Many pedals move by you pushing with your leg, as opposed to pressing down with just your feet by rotating it at the angle, just like you press on a car throttle/gas pedal.  Ever try to drive a car with a cast on your right leg?  Same sort of difference applies here.  Virpil also sells a similar set now, but I find the VKB to be a bit more solid, plus I've been using them since the first version came out, and the distributor way back (he was a sim developer as well) for them back then sold me his last set he had in stock in the USA, back when VKB didn't look long for this world. 

I've seen good used VKB pedals go for $150 USD or even less, but the new Mk V are excellent value new as said.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2024, 02:24:13 PM »

I've seen good used VKB pedals go for $150 USD or even less, but the new Mk V are excellent value new as said.

Thanks, Gman. I went with the Mk V's and they're being thrown onto a Fedex plane as we speak. I watched a bunch of YouTube vids and nary a negative report on them. You and Eagler chipping into the mix makes me feel good about the purchase.

Now it's rerouting some synapses time as Bizman says.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2024, 02:35:37 PM »
I should have mentioned with that movement you don't get wheel brakes like you would using ch pro pedals..

I use a button for brakes and don't need independent wheel brakes

Eagler

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2024, 10:28:23 PM »
have auto breaks selected, no need to press a button

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2024, 05:04:57 PM »
got the Mk V's this morning. As Eagler said all metal with fine control....it takes very little movement of my feet/toes for input and they ain't gonna move around or fall apart any time soon.
I locked out the twist axis on the stick and didn't even need to set them up in the VKB config software, they just show up in the AH controls menu so now they're good to go. I'll give em a try in the MA on Monday after a trip.

Thanks again everyone.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2024, 05:07:15 PM »
I have a ton of pedals, VKBs (x2), Virpil's ace collection and their newer Torqs, a couple of Slaw sets, MFG (sold these to a friend), and a pile of older plastic peds like CH, Saitek combat pedals, etc.

VKB IMO by far offer the best bang/$, and even without the $ considered they stand up in my top 2, with a $800 Slaw custom set being the only ones I might use instead - but not for a game like AH where gun shooting accuracy is SO critical.  VKB's beat all on that score, at least for me.

The reason for that is what Eagle was saying already - the mechanism of action/motion.  The VKB pedals use more of the body's small motor skill as opposed to more gross motor skill movements, resulting in much more precision.  Many pedals move by you pushing with your leg, as opposed to pressing down with just your feet by rotating it at the angle, just like you press on a car throttle/gas pedal.  Ever try to drive a car with a cast on your right leg?  Same sort of difference applies here.  Virpil also sells a similar set now, but I find the VKB to be a bit more solid, plus I've been using them since the first version came out, and the distributor way back (he was a sim developer as well) for them back then sold me his last set he had in stock in the USA, back when VKB didn't look long for this world. 

Have you ever used the Logitech ones? They may be the Saiteks, not sure. Been poking around at those and the Thrustmaster ones used. Not sure I'd like the TM ones as they seem very narrow stance-wise.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2024, 05:47:05 PM »
I ended up bolting mine to a piece of plywood that fit in the desk chair space so I could tilt it up just a bit instead of flat on the floor

It also prevents any sliding around movement

Eagler

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2024, 07:47:14 AM »
I screwed my thrustmaster pedals to the floor.
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2024, 07:08:16 PM »
Have you ever used the Logitech ones? They may be the Saiteks, not sure. Been poking around at those and the Thrustmaster ones used. Not sure I'd like the TM ones as they seem very narrow stance-wise.

I haven't used those Logitech flight pedals, no, but I believe that the Saitek Combat Pedals that Saitek used to sell are the same dimensions.  The less expensive TM pedals look way too narrow, agreed, and I haven't tried them either.  The Saitek Combat Peds I still have are spaced really well.  I'm not sure on the best pricing on the Logitech pedals, but if it's in the 150 to 200 range I'd absolutely get the VKB pedals instead.