Author Topic: Flak Bases Are Boss!  (Read 343 times)

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
Flak Bases Are Boss!
« on: March 09, 2024, 02:02:12 PM »
Four times in two weeks I’ve had a flak base take out an entire plane with one shot at 30K feet or more. Two B29’s, a B17 and a B24. I usually try to hit strats next to flak bases on the deck if possible to stay under the flak guns. Sometimes you have no choice but to climb high. I find the higher you are the faster you get away from them. Anything within 20K of those things and expect Swiss cheese coming your way.

I’m assuming they have no ceiling that we can get above therefore… flak bases are boss.  :salute

I am obsessed with capturing one but I have yet to see any country successfully capture a flak base.
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Flak Bases Are Boss!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 03:17:34 PM »
It has been done.  I've tried... just so many guns to take down then troops... takes more than 1 person, probably 2-3.

I am obsessed with capturing one but I have yet to see any country successfully capture a flak base.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 03:31:58 PM »
Well I want to see it!
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 03:38:35 PM »
Well I want to see it!

Some maps they are uncapturable.

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 03:45:29 PM »
Some maps they are uncapturable.

How do we know which maps.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2024, 04:32:58 PM »
How do we know which maps.

Good question.  It kind of relates to having different types/layouts of VBases on different  maps and the same icon on the map for all of them.

A few of us killed all guns at a flackbase on the ndisles map, had a green end sortie, and watched two loads of troops go in without a take.  So I guess there is 1 map you know they can't be captured.

Maybe someone can explain otherwise. 

A lot of those flak bases act as a spawn into a strat to resupply them, which is even worse.  It's smarter not to defend ANYTHING and just run supplies for 14.95 a month.

Falls in line with folks not defending towns/bases and just hiding m3s in trees.  Makes for awesome gameplay.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 04:37:20 PM by Lazerr »

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 05:53:46 PM »
Good question.  It kind of relates to having different types/layouts of VBases on different  maps and the same icon on the map for all of them.

A few of us killed all guns at a flackbase on the ndisles map, had a green end sortie, and watched two loads of troops go in without a take.  So I guess there is 1 map you know they can't be captured.

A lot of those flak bases act as a spawn into a strat to resupply them, which is even worse.  It's smarter not to defend ANYTHING and just run supplies for 14.95 a month.

Falls in line with folks not defending towns/bases and just hiding m3s in trees.  Makes for awesome gameplay.

I think I was there with you for that perhaps. We had all the guns down but they were off times so they kept popping. There was also an issue with the map itself that night that had to be sorted out if I remember. Either way looks like ND isn’t one lol.

According to mapmaker Kenai if you take the flak base you also het the strat it’s connected too. Unless I misunderstood him. Still haven’t seen it happen anyway haha!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 05:55:35 PM by Dadtallica »

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 09:02:43 PM »
Uncapturable bases should have a red circle around them, like the air bases for near the HQ.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 10:09:16 PM »
Uncapturable bases should have a red circle around them, like the air bases for near the HQ.

Have you seen it happen or captured one?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 02:06:44 PM »
Yes, in Buzzsaw most of the flak bases are capturable.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 03:54:22 AM »

don't bomb my strats or towns and I won't have to start resuppling them before you even leave the sector lol sorry Lazerr if you're at 30k and I don't notice until my strat is flashing I'll have my m3 fleet enroute  :salute :D you do know what I do for a living right?  :neener:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 03:58:23 AM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait