Author Topic: Hardware questions track ir win wing Thrustmaster  (Read 244 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
Hardware questions track ir win wing Thrustmaster
« on: March 19, 2024, 04:09:33 AM »
Are both the Orion2 HOTAS Metal Warthog and Thrustmaster A10 Warthog HOTAS non twist sticks? Seems the more expensive ones aren't twisty sticks?
That makes them more expensive for me cause then I have to budget pedals or find a workaround which doesn't sound like a good idea.

Also what's all this business about track IR 5, Opentrack, face track, freetrack, Delenclip. (holy cow there's a lot there)
Some of the stories on the internet make it sound like I can use some old webcam to do it with a ir led point connected to my Rambo headband.

That's one thing about the internet. One guy will tell you it's the best thing since sliced bread and the next guy will tell you it's all garbage...

Also read that VKB is best bang for the buck pedals. Any truth to that one?

I figure if I start talking now I might be able to talk my wife into something for my birthday hehe.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hardware questions track ir win wing Thrustmaster
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2024, 07:54:22 AM »
I used trackir before vr and highly recommend it

You can still use joystick views with it .. it's the next best thing to vr imo

I now use vkb mark v pedals after using ch pro peds for about 20 years..

I find the vkb peds more precise and accurate..peds are better than twisty sticks imo

I would have the wife get you both.  :airplane:

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2024, 08:16:38 AM »
All the better sticks like the warthog do NOT have the twisty option. As they are in the business to make money it just make sense that they try to sell you a second controller instead of combining them into one unit.

Openface, freetrack and face track all work. I did build the free track years ago using an old logitech camera.

This is the print I drew up for the one I made, and yes it was attached to the side of my head, but I used a ballcap, not a Rambo head band. I had a whole webpage put together on how to I did it but this is all I have left. Dadtallica tried "SmoothTrax" and wrote about his journey here So yes a lot of the face tracking options work here in AH. Other games? dont know, dont care.

Pedals, well there are still a number of options out there. Even the "cheap" ones are like $150. Will they last? Maybe not as long as the $300-$500 range ones, but they may last as long as your interested in flight games. I am still using an old pair of CH Products pedals and they are still getting the job done.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2024, 08:32:20 AM »
Both VKB, and Virpil offer a twist option on their high end sticks dependent on the grip you chose.

:salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54