Author Topic: The Baltimore Bridge  (Read 1170 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Baltimore Bridge
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 08:34:31 PM »
The bridge stopped the boat so whatever that pillar was made of.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 08:37:43 PM »
Remember any of your high school physics? The ship weighs 95,000 tons empty, then add 4700 shipping containers... I have no idea what they weigh. Now move all that at 8 knots. Barriers? I just did some basic math and came up with 94,624.971 lbs of force. What you wanna build your barriers out of?

They have what are called "fenders", for that specific purpose. They also have underwater (about 10') barriers that extend up to 100' from the bridge supports, made of rocks/boulders, weighing tons, made specifically to stop massive ships.

They do not stop ships instantly. They slow them rapidly, redirect them, and redirect and absorb the force.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2024, 08:39:15 PM »
This will be locked like invasion was if the p word keeps getting invoked...

Eagler

That lasted 20 pages. I was surprised.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2024, 09:02:57 PM »
They have what are called "fenders", for that specific purpose. They also have underwater (about 10') barriers that extend up to 100' from the bridge supports, made of rocks/boulders, weighing tons, made specifically to stop massive ships.

They do not stop ships instantly. They slow them rapidly, redirect them, and redirect and absorb the force.

I am familiar with these yet to be tested designs. We'll see if they perform should tragedy strike again.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2024, 02:48:13 AM »

I was surprised to see there were none in Baltimore. Here they are obligatory.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2024, 08:08:45 AM »
That lasted 20 pages. I was surprised.

Thanks for your input into it..it was appreciated and the truth..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2024, 06:10:39 PM »
Build it out of old nokia phones.  that thing would survive an asteroid, or rosie odonnel jumping on it, whichever has more mass and kinetic energy
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2024, 06:23:00 PM »
Remember any of your high school physics? The ship weighs 95,000 tons empty, then add 4700 shipping containers... I have no idea what they weigh. Now move all that at 8 knots. Barriers? I just did some basic math and came up with 94,624.971 lbs of force. What you wanna build your barriers out of?

Probably concrete like the ones in Tampa....

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Skyway_Bridge_old_and_new.jpg

See those weird little round things around the columns? They're designed to stop ships like the ones that caused the disaster in 1980.
I mean after the bridge DID stop the ship with the small pilings for the towers, im sure the bridge in Tampa would survive a similar collision.

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2024, 07:28:29 PM »
This is a good channel for all things shipping. Lots of information is available including what I think is a very well done analysis of the collision itself.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2024, 09:52:32 PM »
Probably concrete like the ones in Tampa....

Here you go: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Skyway_Bridge_old_and_new.jpg

See those weird little round things around the columns? They're designed to stop ships like the ones that caused the disaster in 1980.
I mean after the bridge DID stop the ship with the small pilings for the towers, im sure the bridge in Tampa would survive a similar collision.

As I said in a previous post, I am familiar with the design. Given that the Dali is not a large container ship and the incredible amount of kinetic energy that needs to be absorbed in incidents like this, I would rather hope that things like this never happen again instead of making statements like "im sure the bridge in Tampa would survive a similar collision". Engineers are not always right.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2024, 11:26:02 PM »
As I said in a previous post, I am familiar with the design. Given that the Dali is not a large container ship and the incredible amount of kinetic energy that needs to be absorbed in incidents like this, I would rather hope that things like this never happen again instead of making statements like "im sure the bridge in Tampa would survive a similar collision". Engineers are not always right.

Im just answering your question sir  :salute

For the record im not in anyway hoping for a ship to crash into the tampa bay skyway bridge, I think we all hope that this never happens again. BUT if accident were to happen that bridge would stand a hell of a lot better chance than the bridge in Baltimore...

From your logic we shouldn't build ships to have more life boats than the Titanic or have true watertight bulkheads either, because if we hope hard enough and wish upon a falling star an iceberg will never find its way in the path of an oceanliner again.  :rolleyes:

Offline sparky127

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2024, 05:22:40 AM »
Tldnr

Building a bridge is a neat idea,  but first they've got to clear the old one out of the way.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2024, 08:10:15 AM »
I believe the bumpers around the skyway are designed to deflect not stop a ship

Every bridge should have them..heck the power lines next to the Baltimore bridge has them...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2024, 09:55:05 AM »
Because they need a bridge now, not 5 years from now.

Like anyone else, pay for it then. Use your credit and bonds.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2024, 09:57:21 AM »
I believe the bumpers around the skyway are designed to deflect not stop a ship

Every bridge should have them..heck the power lines next to the Baltimore bridge has them...

Eagler

Any protection is better than none. Those dolphins may have helped here. This was bound to happen.... no tugs or any safety going through the choke point.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)