Author Topic: The Baltimore Bridge  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: The Baltimore Bridge
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2024, 08:03:28 AM »
https://www.npr.org/2024/04/04/1242605876/baltimore-bridge-collapse-dolphins

Inadequate protection from modern shipping loads...

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2024, 01:07:54 PM »
Surprised by neither inadequate protection, nor by the liability cap. Won't be surprised if there's no pursuit of the owner of the ship, either.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2024, 10:01:31 AM »
Reports of an FBI investigation underway. No idea if that's true.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2024, 10:29:54 AM »
I was surprised the government reported it was not a terror attack so quickly after the event. Many things about this event seem suspicious to me.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2024, 07:22:49 PM »
Reports of an FBI investigation underway. No idea if that's true.

The FBI was aboard the ship today. There are reports that it left the dock with known electrical failures.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2024, 11:15:07 AM »
The FBI was aboard the ship today. There are reports that it left the dock with known electrical failures.

It’s routine for ships entering leaving port to have 2 generators running in parallel so if one fails the other will assume the load without interruption. If the electrical system was in order a complete failure like what we saw should not have happened.  I bet USCG port inspectors might feel some heat too.
Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2024, 05:08:18 PM »
It’s routine for ships entering leaving port to have 2 generators running in parallel so if one fails the other will assume the load without interruption. If the electrical system was in order a complete failure like what we saw should not have happened.  I bet USCG port inspectors might feel some heat too.

Did the boat lose electrical power only? Maybe I just assumed it lost propulsion.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2024, 08:10:53 PM »
Did the boat lose electrical power only? Maybe I just assumed it lost propulsion.

Shortly after the lights went out there was billowing black smoke coming from the stack and I think it was the engine backing down hard.  Because shortly after that, the bow began to swing to starboard PDQ most likely due to the propeller’s side force.  that’s my 0.2 cents.

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2024, 08:17:15 PM »

Shortly after the lights went out there was billowing black smoke coming from the stack and I think it was the engine backing down hard.  Because shortly after that, the bow began to swing to starboard PDQ most likely due to the propeller’s side force.  that’s my 0.2 cents.

The smoke was from the generator
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2024, 08:57:31 PM »
The smoke was from the generator

Maybe, only reason I thought it was the engine backing is because of the bow swinging to starboard shortly afterwards possibly induced by the side force of the propeller.   That’s just my .2 cents based on one video I saw on the news.

The cause of allision was IMO due to a power failure, nothing else.  When a ship that size loses power there isn’t much that can be done other than to hold on tight..
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:59:21 PM by Professor_Fate »

Online RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2024, 09:28:23 PM »
yeah the lights go out, a few moments later the generator kicked on. then it went off and came back on again
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2024, 07:29:16 AM »
Maybe, only reason I thought it was the engine backing is because of the bow swinging to starboard shortly afterwards possibly induced by the side force of the propeller.   That’s just my .2 cents based on one video I saw on the news.

The cause of allision was IMO due to a power failure, nothing else.  When a ship that size loses power there isn’t much that can be done other than to hold on tight..

Thought the swing was from them dropping anchor in an attempt to stop...

Eagler

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2024, 07:33:41 AM »
I read a couple accounts that pointed out that there is another channel that is off to the starboard rear at the time of the lost power. Some are saying the current from that channel kicked the back end of the ship pushing it to port and that was how it got pointed at the bridge supports.

Offline Professor_Fate

• Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2024, 09:00:33 AM »
Thought the swing was from them dropping anchor in an attempt to stop...

Eagler

I read the port anchor was let go which I think would have had the opposite effect.  Anyway, just to let everyone know, I am NOT an informed source, I pretty much based anything I’ve said on that one video. We’ll know the truth soon enough.