Author Topic: Why not go Free to play?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline 327thBS

• Copper Member
Re: Why not go Free to play?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2024, 07:50:41 PM »
I haven’t played this game in a while. I think the world has moved on from gaming subscriptions. 

I don’t see why this game couldn’t be free to play for early war planes. If nothing else it’s easy targets in the sky. I would gladly take a P40 up for fun.

Applications are sub based not games. The games that are sub based have constant CONTENT upgrades. If I were to sub to this game it would be to reconnect with old friends and spend time with them.

I do think Hitech should allow for an annual free weekend for returning players to try the game out for free; reconnect with old squad mates and the likes.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2024, 07:54:23 PM »
The entire world of media has moved to a subscription base. Most apps are sub based.

This is not AH’s biggest problem.

Maybe for movies and such, but certainly not for gaming, particularly this genre.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2024, 07:59:29 PM »
I don't play the others because I never liked a scam. They are not free to play. You have to buy every plane. Folks can even buy themselves better. All just a scam.

It'd be easy to implement and wouldn't be "cheating". Free would be early war planes. Maybe half of current subscription price would be Mid war rides. And you can just continue paying fill sub price for all rides. Super easy to implement cost wise and doesn't interfere with people such as yourself who just want it to stay the same. Hardly a scam.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2024, 11:01:07 PM »
Sig line.

How is "I think you're low class" not a shining example of Dunning-Kruger? Seems him thinks him perdy smart!

I don't read the posts but I still see the quotes.

There times when wonder if Animi and double 00PK er are the same animal...

One says he lives in Chicago and one says he lives in California...

In my experience the people who talk the most and beat their chest the most and don't get sarcasm might have been better off with a little bleach in their gene pool :)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2024, 11:09:35 PM »
I haven’t played this game in a while. I think the world has moved on from gaming subscriptions. 

I don’t see why this game couldn’t be free to play for early war planes. If nothing else it’s easy targets in the sky. I would gladly take a P40 up for fun.

Applications are sub based not games. The games that are sub based have constant CONTENT upgrades. If I were to sub to this game it would be to reconnect with old friends and spend time with them.

I do think Hitech should allow for an annual free weekend for returning players to try the game out for free; reconnect with old squad mates and the likes.

Pleeeeze! Stop with the logic! :)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2024, 11:17:07 PM »
It'd be easy to implement and wouldn't be "cheating". Free would be early war planes. Maybe half of current subscription price would be Mid war rides. And you can just continue paying fill sub price for all rides. Super easy to implement cost wise and doesn't interfere with people such as yourself who just want it to stay the same. Hardly a scam.
I think it s a good idea to have free to play and a limited lessor sub would help with the numbers. I would be willing to pay for 4 accounts that were say $5 each for a total of $20 a month to play with my kids. I'm not willing to pay $720 a year to play once or twice a week with my kids. But then again it's logic and it will make somebodies head explode.
/sigh

I think HTs fear is that all the paying subscribers who who have stuck with him all this time and have paid for multiple accounts would all switch to free to play. Maybe he's right?

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2024, 03:38:45 AM »
The feeling is quite mutual. Has been since your first stupid thread.

Animal, you once wrote in a topic, that if someone has no positive input to give, better not to write anything. Please, try to follow your own advice. AH forum is not correct place to pour in your own bad feelings, mental nausea, possible depression or frustration. There are other places and people, who can help with those.

-Peace-
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2024, 03:39:25 AM »
Accidental double posting removed.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2024, 08:22:22 PM »
I think it s a good idea to have free to play and a limited lessor sub would help with the numbers. I would be willing to pay for 4 accounts that were say $5 each for a total of $20 a month to play with my kids. I'm not willing to pay $720 a year to play once or twice a week with my kids. But then again it's logic and it will make somebodies head explode.
/sigh

I think HTs fear is that all the paying subscribers who who have stuck with him all this time and have paid for multiple accounts would all switch to free to play. Maybe he's right?

I think you're right on that last part and fair enough for Hitech. I think I stated earlier that I believe HTC is happy with his income to effort ratio at this point. He has a core base and the games "finished" so it just needs minimal maintenance.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2024, 10:51:38 PM »
Sorry I was being too myopic for you all… not just media has moved but…almost every app you’ve ever tapped which includes pretty much all traditional channels of commerce, including most all gaming apps, nearly all newspapers minus the free ones,  numerous retail giants, all tv and movies in essence, even how we hunt and gather food and supplies for the home cave.

All those and many several other parts of our lives are all subscription based now and/or always have been. Paperboy anyone? Plus, the price of AH is less than probably half of all of those subscriptions above… I’m guesstimating.

In almost no restaurant or QSR establishment can you get one single meal a month for less than $15.

BUT it is a value proposition always. Whether or not you can “afford” $15 is irrelevant. My wife and I do ok for ourselves and can afford such things but the minute I find that AH is no longer worth my perception of $15, see ya errrrbody. Probably won’t happen for me anytime soon before it’s gone for good but I understand the decision for all.

If you think your money is better spent elsewhere then guess what? Who cares it’s your money. (Use it when you need it…) We can all find the right arguments for and against any flight sim or game… or anything really. Yet when it comes to the wallet… it’s a unique experience completely subjective to the exact end user and none of us can tell the other who did it right.

One man’s trash as it were. :old:
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2024, 12:55:14 PM »
Has the OP ever wondered why stores don't give away their inventory?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2024, 01:27:40 PM »
 :rolleyes:
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2024, 03:35:14 PM »
Has the OP ever wondered why stores don't give away their inventory?

My local grocery did it with Tillamook cheese the other day. They had little cubes of the stuff with tooth picks spread out on a table in the deli. After eating a half dozen or so, I convinced myself to buy a block of that cheese.

That loss-leader stuff works sometimes.

Just sayin'

The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2024, 03:47:58 PM »

My local grocery did it with Tillamook cheese the other day. They had little cubes of the stuff with tooth picks spread out on a table in the deli. After eating a half dozen or so, I convinced myself to buy a block of that cheese.

That loss-leader stuff works sometimes.

Just sayin'

I guess War Thunder must not make any money either. 

I wouldn't want their micro transactions, but the F2P layer keeps potential customers around long enough to convince them it is worth "subscribing".

The other two big air combat games, IL2 and DCS, aren't subscription at all.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2024, 03:50:45 PM »
Time passes, products change. I tried shaving with a straight razor but it was too much work.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.