Author Topic: Why not go Free to play?  (Read 3900 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Why not go Free to play?
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2024, 08:14:37 PM »
Still funny to see all these analogies as to why F2P is a bad idea as all the modern and biggest flight Sims are doing that. Just be honest and say you're happy how things are as the game slowly dies. It's your own little play ground, used by mostly older players and you'd get a larger variety if it went F2P.

To keep using these analogies that don't relate to flight sims and with having all sims using a F2P model is just silly. At this point to say F2P wouldn't work is just a dumb statement, it's literally the business model of all the big successful sims out there.

I dont think anyone here is against F2P (free to play), except Hitech. Most of these guys are just parroting what Hitech has said in the past when these things have come up. He has his reason but I dont think he has ever explained them on the boards. I know he hate explaining things on the boards as it always turns into "but did you think of this?? ....or maybe try this instead!...... or I have a better idea!" and he just doesnt want to deal with it.

Personally Id try it. I cant think of any down sides. Have a dozen or so mid/early war planes as free to play. You want the hot rods or bigger bombers, perk rides..... get a subscription. I think Lusche said once in a thread like this that he'd end his subscription and fly the free rides. Well he has stopped his sub, but if there was some free rides headed be back. The more the merrier. I doubt that running the servers with 600 players on it vs 125 isnt any different.

But, here is all speculation. It is all up to Hitech and he has said he wont do it. I wish I knew why if only to put this topic to bed.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2024, 08:22:08 PM »
We have hundreds of players trying out the game every month.  They only stay a few short minutes.    Free planes don't change that dynamic when 30 free days (of access to ALL the planes) aren't even used...

That's basically what he told me.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2024, 08:25:42 PM »
That's basically what he told me.

The first two statements are fact.  The third is an assertion.  Not the same as a fact.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2024, 08:35:28 PM »
I dont think anyone here is against F2P (free to play), except Hitech. Most of these guys are just parroting what Hitech has said in the past when these things have come up. He has his reason but I dont think he has ever explained them on the boards. I know he hate explaining things on the boards as it always turns into "but did you think of this?? ....or maybe try this instead!...... or I have a better idea!" and he just doesnt want to deal with it.

Personally Id try it. I cant think of any down sides. Have a dozen or so mid/early war planes as free to play. You want the hot rods or bigger bombers, perk rides..... get a subscription. I think Lusche said once in a thread like this that he'd end his subscription and fly the free rides. Well he has stopped his sub, but if there was some free rides headed be back. The more the merrier. I doubt that running the servers with 600 players on it vs 125 isnt any different.

But, here is all speculation. It is all up to Hitech and he has said he wont do it. I wish I knew why if only to put this topic to bed.

There are no guarantees that adding some portion of F2P would help at all.

There is a guarantee that just doing what already hasn't work for over a decade isn't suddenly magically going to start working.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2024, 09:02:52 PM »

Those biz models are only good as long as new planes are made. Once people have all they want there’s no more revenue from those people. Then you end up with skimmers on other sim boards to aid that lost revenue for sales perks. That's an indicator of not going all that well.  So they dump out planes full of bugs just to get revenue back.

I doubt it. Every time you see sales, something took a dive. Bean counters probably loath this concept as nothing is predictable.

Subs are more predictable monthly revenue

I just don’t get the $15 whine. Can afford a $2k computer and 20 other games and planes, but $15 bothers them? Seriously. If someone can’t or won’t pay 15$ is probably not a customer worth bending for.

I’m totally burnt out on this repeat whine.

Next they will want us to pay for them to play. Like other subjects, as mentioned 20k times. If you can’t afford $15 you best stop all games and save for food. Nonsense convo IMO

Like other subjects, it will be repeated and every response will be repeated.

I’m totally with HT on this subject.

Ideas like put HT in a corner for an interview where the only subject would finish the game off.

Stop listening to money perk/commission chasing morons who sell chit.

Glittery Fools gold talk for a fools gold sim struggling with a bad biz model.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2024, 09:05:14 PM »

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2024, 09:13:31 PM »
How many tried these other sims for free play and didn’t stay? I’d live to see that data. I can name 10 right now.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2024, 09:15:06 PM »
Okay, name them, right now.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2024, 09:16:04 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Yep, my look every time you spew skimmer nonsense repeat #1501.

Took psychology in college? If so I know the slow manipulation method
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2024, 09:19:13 PM »
Did you know that 40% of students who start out in engineering finish as psychology majors?

I took psychology in college. Guess I should have taken abnormal psychology for the manipulation lessons.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2024, 09:22:02 PM »
Okay, name them, right now.

Good, I got the skimmer clan here, cpttrip posse.
. Did he call you fir the delusional gang bang?
Go read your own thread, 5-6 said so right there.

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2024, 09:24:20 PM »
Good, I got the skimmer clan here, cpttrip posse.
. Did he call you fir the delusional gang bang?
Go read your own thread, 5-6 said so right there.

Didn't you say you could name 10 right now? So do it.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2024, 09:24:50 PM »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2024, 09:26:16 PM »
I'm thinking you can't even name one right now. Ease up on the hyperbole maybe. It interferes with reasonable discourse.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2024, 09:28:24 PM »
Boomers control the world and will be around a while yet. If you don't want us to take it with us be nice.

I was called a "boomer" once as an attempted insult by one of those younguns. He was completely confused when I said: "Nice try, I'm GenX"