Author Topic: Gen X has highest avg. IQ. That’s a fact.  (Read 1393 times)

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Gen X has highest avg. IQ. That’s a fact.
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2024, 10:32:35 AM »
That's excellent result.

That was in the '90s. I don't think I would do as well now.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2024, 11:40:19 AM »
Heh!

Katy was a different time. Michael allowed her in the office to sell handbags. She helped us get a new espresso maker.

Michael? Who the heck is Michael? Wasn't it Frank. Frank and Katy? Now I'm lost...     :D
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline xanax

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2024, 12:26:42 PM »
Michael? Who the heck is Michael? Wasn't it Frank. Frank and Katy? Now I'm lost...     :D

Ha! Me too. Welcome to my world.
The Damned
Founded 1988

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2024, 12:29:13 PM »
I was in a class setting back in the 80's when the instructor asked "What is IQ". Mostly everyone was saying it is a measure of knowledge. My turn came and I said "it's the ability to learn". You'd have thought I poked a hornet's nest. No one outspoken agreed with me. I still think they were all wrong.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2024, 01:38:28 PM »
From what I recall the IQ test was the ability to guess patterns. I guess the the good guessers are the smart ones.

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2024, 02:41:35 PM »
I was in a class setting back in the 80's when the instructor asked "What is IQ". Mostly everyone was saying it is a measure of knowledge. My turn came and I said "it's the ability to learn". You'd have thought I poked a hornet's nest. No one outspoken agreed with me. I still think they were all wrong.

It's pretty normal for folks to mix knowledge and intelligence. They are two different things and you were the only one in the class who got it right.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2024, 02:49:44 PM »
I don't believe IQ is a measurement of learning. The tests have little to do with learning. It's about reasoning and problem solving.

Learning is a different matter. Retaining knowledge is another matter. But reasoning is on its own a different thing. To be able to figure something out. Something completely novel to you and something that you have not learned before but you have reason through it logically to solve a problem. That's what IQ is supposed to be measuring..

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2024, 02:50:29 PM »
I've met some pretty "smart" people that couldn't figure out how to change a tire. I've met some really stupid "smart" people so I don't know how much value I put in an "IQ test"

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2024, 02:52:17 PM »
I don't believe IQ is a measurement of learning. The tests have little to do with learning. It's about reasoning and problem solving.

Learning is a different matter. Retaining knowledge is another matter. But reasoning is on its own a different thing. To be able to figure something out. Something completely novel to you and something that you have not learned before but you have reason through it logically to solve a problem. That's what IQ is supposed to be measuring..

Makes sense. But, those good in reasoning and figuring things out are also very good at learning, so I'd say there is a direct link.
The Mad   CatMan!

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2024, 02:53:15 PM »
I've met some pretty "smart" people that couldn't figure out how to change a tire. I've met some really stupid "smart" people so I don't know how much value I put in an "IQ test"

What made you think that they were smart? Did you see their IQ test?

Level of education has nothing to do with IQ either. In fact learning isn't so much a sign of intelligence as it is memorization. And you can learn incorrect things. Intelligent people will reason on their own and come up with their own conclusions or understanding of something. Not just relying on what somebody taught you.

Applying reason and creativity of thought.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2024, 02:58:43 PM »
What made you think that they were smart? Did you see their IQ test?
Really? They told me they were smart... Just like the best pilots here feel the need to tell you they are the best...

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2024, 03:47:37 PM »
Here ya go. I missed 8.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2024, 04:02:19 PM »
I did a couple of those and it seems those don''t have anything to do with problem solving abilities. If IQ can be determine by asking a bunch of random questions, I'm guessing it would depend who you asked what questions.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2024, 04:08:11 PM »
None of the tests on the Internet are anything other than entertaining. You're learning!  :aok

Life is the real test. Can you survive? Can you find contentment? Those are the real tests.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2024, 04:10:18 PM »
None of the tests on the Internet are anything other than entertaining. You're learning!  :aok

Life is the real test. Can you survive? Can you find contentment? Those are the real tests.

I'm not as dumb as I look...(most of the time)