Author Topic: Total Eclipse 2024  (Read 336 times)

Offline Firetech

• Copper Member
Total Eclipse 2024
« on: April 08, 2024, 03:15:43 PM »
That was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Sure hope some of you were able to get outside and witness it.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Total Eclipse 2024
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2024, 03:31:35 PM »
We got lucky.  Weatherman said we were going to get clouded out, but the clouds got delayed a couple of hours and it was clear as a bell.

We were 99.99% total.  Just a tiny pin point still showing.  I had to take a quick glance at totality without the glasses and I'm glad I did.  Beautiful extended corona with that pin point shinning like a diamond ring. Venus was shining nearby and I think I may have spotted Jupiter too. 

If we had driven a couple of miles East to the city park it might have been 100% but I assume there would be a ton of people and I hate people.  Fine enough from the back yard.

Only 44 years to the next one, right?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 03:40:14 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2024, 03:36:29 PM »
We had good seat in Idaho for watching the one in 2017. A good seat in Texas for the one today. It really is something special to experience.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2024, 05:36:31 PM »
I live in the path of totality. Spent the entire time outside from 1245pm to 315pm. Had the camera out with a solar filter on taking many pictures along with a camcorder recording the onset of darkness from onset to totality and then increasing light once its past. One thing I noticed was that I had the camera zoomed in too far so the pictures were somewhat grainy from the digital zoom effect, but I didnt catch it until it was over and too late to redo some shots. But I did get some pictures that captured the sunspots on the sun with the filter on. This will be the last total eclipse I see in my lifetime since the next one here wont be in this exact spot until 2099. At least got the kids to see it in its entirety so they have a once in a lifetime experience to take part in
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2024, 09:54:35 PM »
Weather held so I got a good view in Texas (flew down from Alberta) it was a good show, surprisingly different from 2017 in Idaho. And also a lot less busy. I'll throw up some pics when I get home.
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2024, 10:25:07 PM »
I was in the totality path but we got washed out with clouds about 5 min prior to touchdown. The darkness was cool at least. Saw most of the build up in thick cloud cover so we we didn’t really need glasses for a lot of what we could see. Shame we didn’t get a clear sky for totality.

It’s the price you pay for living in the perpetual vanilla milkshake that is upstate New York.  :old: it’s nowhere like as awful as what it used to be 20+ years ago but super cool celestial events seem to always become uncannily clouded out. Thus it is like staring into a milkshake!

I’ve seen several partials but still no totals fully.  :mad:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 10:57:33 PM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 10:50:47 PM »
Only a partial eclipse in the Boston area with 93-94% coverage by the Moon. It was noticeably darker than normal, but not as much as you would expect knowing that over 90% of the Sun would be obscured.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2024, 10:13:23 AM »
We live right in the center of the totality path. Unfortunately, the weather guessers were right about clouds. We had 2 layers of clouds each going in opposite directions. There were enough breaks / thinning of the clouds to see most of the eclipse from the 1/4 start to the beginning of the end. Several times the clouds thinned just enough to see it without the glasses. It got really dark like about night with a quarter moon or less. All the automatic lights in the area went on. That caught me by surprise, I expected more like a dusk situation.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 08:07:18 PM »
Got to see it, in the path of Totality... clear skies, standing in a cow pasture out in the boondocks.

It was just a friggin boring as the full Lunar one I saw overseas, around 2011(?) maybe.

I don't know, that kinda stuff just doesn't yank my chain.  To me it's pretty much just standing in the shade in a macro kinda way. :old:
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 01:00:41 AM »
My view of the 2024 event

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 11:47:54 AM »
We eneded up staying home and getting 90% eclipse. The Weather over most of Texas was going to be really bad. Our original venue, Burnet Texas, was going to be clouded over heavy. We decided on Canton. If it was too clouyded we could head to Sulfer Springs. At 4 am I made the call to stay home. If we drove up there, we would hit bad storms coming back home that evening. Better safe than sorry.

We experienced the ring of fire a few months back and was hoping to get the full effect of this eclipse. It still was amazing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)