Author Topic: yagi  (Read 162 times)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
yagi
« on: April 20, 2024, 01:44:36 PM »
I'm hoping somebody may be able to help me with this as I don't want to spend a bunch of time doing research on this.

Is there a yagi I can buy that can do all or some of this or should I buy separates?
Receive HF/Shortwave
Xmit/Rec UHF/VHF
Xmit/Rec CB

I would like to use the existing coaxe I have  on my roof and the dish mount that is there. I've also thought about using a longwire on a tall tree I have in my front yard but not sure of a good way to secure it.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: yagi
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 05:32:56 PM »
Look into a log periodic yagi.

Here is a vhf.uhf
https://theantennafarm.com/shop-by-categories/antennas-mounts/base-antennas/amateur-base-antennas/1108-yagi-directional-antennas/943-log-periodic-antennas/3388-create-clp-5130-1n-detail

There are a number of those for HF use, but you are limited to generally 30/20 meters to 10 meters. And then just for those particular specs you are looking to drop 1-3 thousand just for that particular antenna, and then thats also if you have a tower that is  strong enough as self supporting or if you need a guyed tower, not counting if you need to buy a rotor powerful enough to support it along with a good strong brake and shaft to hold it steady with all the wind loads it will exert on the tower and rotor
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 08:22:57 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'll check that one out.

What do you think about something like this for HF and a coupler for 11 meter.

Maybe I'd be better off with 3 antennas?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2024, 06:14:19 AM »
Id be personally afraid of using a coupler on it for multiple radios just for the reason of if something funky happens to the coupler, would it bleed high rf into the wrong radio at the wrong time and blow out the receive circuit. I have a good quality coax switch that I use to switch different specific band antennas into the HF radio, and then use separate antennas dedicated for other radios on their own coax run. You can also turn the switch backwards and use multiple radios for one antenna, as long as you make sure you are on the correct port on the switch before you transmit. Spent a lot of time reviewing switches before I got one. Stay away from any of the chinese garbage, they look pretty but reliability and performance is bad. An automatic tuner would be also worthwhile since swr is never exactly where you want it to be, especially on multiband antennas
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 06:16:53 AM by Meatwad »
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women