Author Topic: TrackIR 5  (Read 526 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
TrackIR 5
« on: April 25, 2024, 09:18:11 AM »
I've been considering buying TrackIR.  Those of you that have gone from traditional hat switches to TrackIR, what are your thoughts.  Currently, AH is my only flight sim, but if I can adapt to TrackIR, I would love to give DCS or MSFS a try (again).
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
Re: TrackIR 5
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 09:20:27 AM »
I used hat switches entirely before TrackIR. It's intuitive and 100% beats hatswitches.

Tobii Eye Tracker is superior IMO, especially for DCS. Unfortunately AH doesn't support Tobii, so I use TrackIR in AH.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2024, 09:26:33 AM »
I used hat switches entirely before TrackIR. It's intuitive and 100% beats hatswitches.

Tobii Eye Tracker is superior IMO, especially for DCS. Unfortunately AH doesn't support Tobii, so I use TrackIR in AH.

Do you still use hat switches to look beyond the limitations of your head movement?
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 09:39:16 AM »
Do you still use hat switches to look beyond the limitations of your head movement?

Yes jstick views work with both trackir and vr in aces high

Not so in the other sims, it's one or the other

Used trackir b4 vr..it's better than just jstick views imo and as Skyyr stated very intuitive

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2024, 09:43:21 AM »

No, because there are no limitations in head movement with TrackIR. It's the hatswitches that are limited in views, specifically in regards to off-center and canted views.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2024, 09:56:45 AM »
No, because there are no limitations in head movement with TrackIR. It's the hatswitches that are limited in views, specifically in regards to off-center and canted views.

I guess I meant like looking up and/or behind?
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2024, 09:59:30 AM »
TrackIR works better than VR tho VR is more immersive.

TrackIR you can scale the head movement so that you turn your head 90%to the left, and your view can show looking around your tail. Basically 90% turn gives you 180% view. You can adjust the speed of that look by two times the speed your moving your head (90% movement covering 180% view, = two times) up to puke inducing speeds  :devil This is the same for all axis. up-down, left-right, even on the angles.

VR has a much more immersive view setup but is 1 to 1. You look left 90%, your view is left 90% looking out over the wing. There is no adjustments So many people who use VR use the hat switches to save their necks. I read some place that there is a third party program that gives you that scaling in VR but it doesnt work in AH.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2024, 10:40:03 AM »
It was easy for me going back to twisty after my pedals broke, took me just two days. But when my TrackIr broke, it felt totally unnatural using hatviews again. Even  after week of intensive precticing in DA & TA I just could do it anymore, so I stopped flying fighters altogether for some time.
With a proper setup, it TrackIr became so natural to me, that I find myself subconsciously attempting to use it when playing other games or even watching AH/Air Sim films.

Right now, I’m, using as much cheaper China clone (looking coincidentally exactly like an 'original' TrackIr 5  :noid), because I find the original to be it vastly overpriced.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2024, 10:57:39 AM »

Yes you can use check 6 and up views with both trackir and vr...

You can use all the jstick views with both

Some of us with old neck injuries rely on the jstick views to limit neck swivel required otherwise

Eagler

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2024, 11:08:00 AM »

Again, it's not needed. I have my scaling at 320%, which means I barely move my head an inch or two at most. Looking behind and up is literally me moving my head up and to the side 2 inches.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 11:30:14 AM »
TrackIR you can scale the head movement so that you turn your head 90%to the left, and your view can show looking around your tail. Basically 90% turn gives you 180% view. You can adjust the speed of that look by two times the speed your moving your head (90% movement covering 180% view, = two times) up to puke inducing speeds  :devil This is the same for all axis. up-down, left-right, even on the angles.

Again, it's not needed. I have my scaling at 320%, which means I barely move my head an inch or two at most. Looking behind and up is literally me moving my head up and to the side 2 inches.

Ahhhhh that makes so much sense and has me even more willing to try!!!!

Right now, I’m, using as much cheaper China clone (looking coincidentally exactly like an 'original' TrackIr 5  :noid), because I find the original to be it vastly overpriced.

I'm all about cheap, especially no knowing if I'll like it or not
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2024, 03:16:45 PM »
I have tried TIR many times, but can't get used to it.  With the hat switches I can set the head position to see between the canopy frame bracing.  With TIR I have to move around to see past the frame.  Also, I find it much easier to keep track of my airplane's attitude with hat switch views.  (I suppose the HUD ladder might help, but I just can't bring myself to use it.)

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 03:20:22 PM »

That must take getting used too...seems too fast imo but must work for you

Kong didn't the center view button fix that?

Eagler

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2024, 09:44:19 PM »
DCS and Track IR is a whole new ballgame. Go for it. Track IR alone should/will improve your game here. Keep in mind though, Track IR is very light sensitive. If you don't have the same consistent lighting in the room when running, it will act up. This limits when I can fly to evenings only, as the sunlight from the windows screws with the lasers/camera connection. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 10:07:26 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2024, 09:54:44 PM »
DCS and Track IR is a whole new ballgame. Go for it. Track IR alone should/will improve your game here.

Good to see you're still around at least on the boards, uptown!
-=Most Wanted=-

||||||||