Author Topic: Question for real pilots  (Read 1817 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Question for real pilots
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2024, 07:21:19 AM »
Interesting AKIron, I have a set of CH pedals that are pretty erratic. Is there any special technique to install and set up?

You need to download and install both vJoy and Joystick Gremlin. Then open that profile in joystick Gremlin. Then use the VJoy axis in AH or whatever. Will take a look at it later today.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2024, 08:15:29 AM »
I did just try that profile. It isn't what I used before but may work well for a jittery axis. If I understand it correctly then I'm not sure about a spiking axis as it creates a moving dead zone rather than averaging to eliminate spikes. I didn't see the effect in my testing. I'm guessing the physical device moves the virtual axis when moving more than 5 units, or whatever dead zone you set, from the center or last moved to and held position. Say you move your pedals half way to the left. A new dead zone is centered around that and held until you move them 5 units either way beyond that position.

I'll connect my old pedals later and see how it works with them. 

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2024, 09:06:49 AM »
Did some more testing and I see the effect now. It will work well for a zoom view axis. I set the dead zone to 25 and it created 8-10 seeming discreet levels not subject to jitter. Video at 7 ;)

Don't know if you can toggle a Joystick Gremlin plugin on/off like you can switch between remaps. If there is a way to do that it would work well to reduce joystick bounce I think. When you pull the first trigger detent it activates the moving dead zone around whatever position your stick is in.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 09:12:55 AM by AKIron »

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2024, 09:48:45 AM »
Guys, it's just MHO but if you have a jittery axis the best course of action is to fix the cause of the jittery axis first. It'll only get worse and attempting to use software as a fix is just slapping a badly fitting band-aid on the problem. It might even create another problem with laggy or sluggish controls.

@Jimmy, the CH peds are known to have the wires go bad. They're tiny. It might not be obvious as they'll break inside the insulation which is fun to troubleshoot!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2024, 10:04:14 AM »
Guys, it's just MHO but if you have a jittery axis the best course of action is to fix the cause of the jittery axis first. It'll only get worse and attempting to use software as a fix is just slapping a badly fitting band-aid on the problem. It might even create another problem with laggy or sluggish controls.

@Jimmy, the CH peds are known to have the wires go bad. They're tiny. It might not be obvious as they'll break inside the insulation which is fun to troubleshoot!

Most of my jitters and nose bounce are self induced. I have a warthog stick, Thrustmaster throttle, and CH pedals.  The pedals show a bit of jitter in the "raw"" but dead band clears that up. I spent a few hours messing with the settings in game yesterday and felt pretty confident in my new settings. Went on-line to take a few runs and ran into Skyyr so I didnt get many chances to test the nose bounce while shooting   :D In one fight against "Quark" I thought I was bouncing the pedals too much and will make another adjustment there and test again.

I have also DLed the programs Iron was talking about to look into those to see what I can do.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2024, 10:05:33 AM »
I broke a wire in my CH Pro Pedals so replaced the pots while I had it apart. Didn't help with the jitter. I wouldn't use a jittery stick for controlling an aircraft but for pedals it was a good solution for a few years.

I'll put up a video showing how to add that moving dead zone plugin after 1pm CDT today.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 10:07:44 AM by AKIron »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2024, 10:44:12 AM »
I broke a wire in my CH Pro Pedals so replaced the pots while I had it apart. Didn't help with the jitter....

I've cleaned CH pots and they worked well until they got dirty again. I also have Logitech throttle pots that spike and spraying them hasn't helped.

The in game fix for jitter is damping but as mentioned it's better to fix it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 10:46:43 AM by FLS »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2024, 10:47:06 AM »
Three pots in the ch pro pedals. One for each of the toe brakes and one for the left/right axis. I figure the jitter is in the controller. I use the VKB pedals now. No toe brakes but I'm happy.

The VKB pedals are $215 but around $50 for shipping. European company with VKB USA site that ships from China.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 10:52:53 AM by AKIron »

Offline yipi

• Copper Member
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2024, 11:02:39 AM »
I've had several of the CH pedals. The VKB pedals are non contact so they never need cleaning. Your feet move them up and down instead of sideways so less shifting in the seat. The movement has a higher bit rate so its more accurate

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2024, 12:08:24 PM »
Took me a bit to go from ch rudder knee movements to vkb pedals foot control..still adjusting to it as I had ch peds for decades and the vkb markv for only months

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2024, 01:39:43 PM »
That moving dead zone video as promised. May take a few to finish processing.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2024, 02:08:48 PM »
Thank you AKIron, I appreciate  you taking the time to help me out. I'll see what I can get done over the next few days.  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2024, 02:31:40 PM »
Glad to help. One thing to keep in mind, mapping a stick axis to vjoy does not prevent you from using that stick axis directly instead of vjoy. Nor will vjoy affect the stick axis. You just won't get whatever effect you applied to it via Joystick Gremlin.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2024, 03:32:37 PM »
My thanks to all contributors to this thread, even those I’ve had words with.

This is the community I am fond of

Thank You
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2024, 11:37:27 AM »
I went back towards old settings. I only use scaling on rudder. While it eliminated some bounce, center stick is still a PITA. It has always been with this x52 further away from center less bounce.

Part of the issue is snap to center, about ready to remove snap back to experiment. I’m not sure how much that would help since crossing center cross roads has issues. Closer to center demands a different stick handling. Its not the same as outer perimeter. Why scaling help sensitivity, but causes other issues.

That and its a short stick, requiring more limited movement than a longer stem.

All that drivel aside. I’ve heard of real pilots handling of the stick is much more lighter grip, moving much less. To me that’s the only benefit.

Mist pilots these days have almost no experience in applying ACM because dogfights no longer happen nearly as much as the past. So ACM is learned within a game. Someone who flies cargo has no experience in ACM. But they do know how to handle the stick. HOing is not ACM, its playing chicken.

Again, most my kills come in TnB as I’m far away from center.

Bounce is better, but not eliminated, yet. More likely to get at least one kill per flight, as long as I stay away from field guns. I just like flying through them to get a gun hugger. 5’ off the deck auto guns have harder time hitting you.

I think a new stick with longer stem is a better fix. I can’t extend an x52.

Better, but not great.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP