Author Topic: Stagflation  (Read 932 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: Stagflation
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2024, 11:40:24 AM »
US Government Accountability Office:

https://www.gao.gov/blog/warning-about-nations-fiscal-health

“ The federal government is on an unsustainable long-term fiscal path that poses serious economic, national security, and social challenges if not addressed.” 2/16/24.

You can’t make this stuff up. Another Ukraine bill is already being crafted to be presented in September  :noid
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2024, 11:51:01 AM »
If interest rates are up and I'm an investor what do I build? Not houses because people aren't buying. I build apartments because people who can't or won't buy at high rates still must have a place to live.

The increased cost and interest rate it cost you to build these will translate to the rent those folks pay.

I've been seeing rental properties that are a smaller home, in the middle of town with higher rent than my mortgage.

I can only assume they bought these properties at a 7% interest rate while the value of the property was ballooned like crazy.

I could sell my place for probably 50k more than I paid 5 years back, but I'll be overpaying for whatever I buy, and at x2 the interest rate.

I'll pass.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2024, 11:55:48 AM »
If I'm an investor I have money. I'm not paying interest. However, it may be better spent loaning it out at the higher rate.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2024, 12:03:52 PM »
We moved back to Texas from Idaho about 11 months ago and bought a place in an HOA with about 90 houses. Sales were hot then. Not so much now. There's a house a couple of blocks over for sale that is trying to sue the HOA because we have a restriction on the number allowed for rent. They don't want to rent it but have had several corporations interested until they learned it cannot be rented. Drive around the neighborhood and it's not hard to spot many of the rentals.

With the new TI and other plants being built here there is a lot of new development. I think apartments outnumber the houses at least 2 to 1.

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2024, 08:01:15 PM »
We moved back to Texas from Idaho about 11 months ago and bought a place in an HOA with about 90 houses. Sales were hot then. Not so much now. There's a house a couple of blocks over for sale that is trying to sue the HOA because we have a restriction on the number allowed for rent. They don't want to rent it but have had several corporations interested until they learned it cannot be rented. Drive around the neighborhood and it's not hard to spot many of the rentals.

With the new TI and other plants being built here there is a lot of new development. I think apartments outnumber the houses at least 2 to 1.

My family's homestead is about a one hour drive just inside Oregon from Boise, Idaho. Buy & rental market has sucked for a long time. I gave up on the idea a long time ago of ever making it here in the Treasure Valley area. Every time a pay raise or promotion happens, so does the cost of living, taxes, inflation.. every.. damn.. time. And now it's so high that -- well FORGET IT!

So, found a po-dunk job I've really liked doing for the past eight years tutoring conversational English with students from over 50 countries in an online specialized video call platform, and "set up shop" in the Philippines earning dollars and spending pesos. It's been a nice change from my 40's into my 50's thus far. But, anything can happen. Nothing is ever truly secure anymore. It's been nice to rent a fairly large three bedroom house for only $180/month just outside of town.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2024, 09:05:54 PM »
Government spending has little, or no, effect on inflation, consumers do, exceeding supply. Interest rates forces you to stop buying so much. Why consumers? Because they have more money to spend. Inflation or recession. Take your pick. You think spending will slow without interest rates forcing it?

Don’t over complicate it.

Same ppl didn’t mind 8 trillion on Iraq based on admitted lies of WMDs
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 09:23:02 PM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2024, 07:35:27 AM »
Government spending has little, or no, effect on inflation, consumers do, exceeding supply. Interest rates forces you to stop buying so much. Why consumers? Because they have more money to spend. Inflation or recession. Take your pick. You think spending will slow without interest rates forcing it?

Of course government spending affects inflation..how can pumping printed billions into the system monthly not affect it...

I think they have to keep the train wreck going at this point...from handing out trillions in cough covid $$$ to those that didn't need it to financing every war on the globe..

Stop the spending so you can stop the borrowing, living within your means allows one not to worry about interest charged but can celebrate interest earned on safe investments..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2024, 08:44:45 AM »

Consumer spending only causes inflation in the event there is a supply/demand deficit. Otherwise, consumer spending drives prices down on the principle of volume production.

Government spending drives inflation at about a 90% cause/effect ratio. Only the government can inject so much money into the market that the value of the dollar is forced down, simply due to the volume of available dollars.  Further, the government spends at a rate that creates massive debt. Such that not only is the vast majority of the $34,000,000,000,000 debt accumulated in the last 56 years, but the debt now grows at the rate of $1,000,000,000,000 every 120-180 days, and now the government quite literally cannot service the interest on the debt it owes. As such, the government prints money. And every single time the government prints more money, the value of the money already in circulation plummets. Now the U.S. dollar, once the strongest, most valuable currency on the planet, so valuable that by far the vast majority of commodities world wide are valued in dollars, and purchased with dollars, is threatened with replacement.

It is very simple. It's proven, beyond any doubt in the minds of anyone with common sense. Again, Friedman, Sowell, and Laffer have all proven it repeatedly.

WTAF does Iraq have to do with this discussion? Speak to the subject of the discussion, or just don't speak. Inane, pedantic bravo sierra contributes nothing.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2024, 08:48:11 AM »
The increased cost and interest rate it cost you to build these will translate to the rent those folks pay.

I've been seeing rental properties that are a smaller home, in the middle of town with higher rent than my mortgage.

I can only assume they bought these properties at a 7% interest rate while the value of the property was ballooned like crazy.

I could sell my place for probably 50k more than I paid 5 years back, but I'll be overpaying for whatever I buy, and at x2 the interest rate.

I'll pass.

In the current market, it is far easier to rent than to sell. Most younger buyers have no chance of buying at the current interest rates, they can't qualify. Older, relatively intelligent people will not buy right now, because they won't pay the current rate for a home. I paid the current rate, about 30 years ago. I refuse to sell my house now, despite wanting to move, because I will not pay that again, even though I could make $150,000 on my house tomorrow.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2024, 09:11:06 AM »
One thing driving the prices in Idaho, particularly the Treasure Valley where we were, is people from California with cash. So long as they can sell their California home then interest rates are not an issue when they can buy another cheaper one for cash in Idaho. Prices in Idaho are still nearly twice what they are here on the fringes of the Metroplex. 

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2024, 09:17:47 AM »
We considered buying in Oklahoma, just north of where we are now. Prices are better, property taxes are lower. But, Oklahoma has a state income tax and the sales tax is about 9.3% including groceries.

Oldest daughter is still planning to move here from Pend Oreille area in the next year. A place like this one in OK would be over a million in Idaho.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3029-Preston-Wood-Cir-Durant-OK-74701/2054912165_zpid/

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2024, 09:31:53 AM »
A nice overall crash on just about everything is needed and is what the fed was trying to do but with government passing bills to spend billions on wars and illegal immigrants, that market correction has never been allowed to happen.

No one has the stomach to allow the pain needed for a healthier financial future these days...too busy selling the country out for their next election victory....

Term limits would do wonders imo but the dc ghouls will never vote that on themselves...country is toast imo...just look at the two clowns we have to choose from in 7 months..lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2024, 09:38:59 AM »
A crash happened in 2008 but was arrested because institutions were too big to fail. A crash allowed to run its course will see our nation changed in ways we cannot foresee. We don't exist in a vacuum either. We have enemies.

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2024, 09:51:42 AM »
Of course government spending affects inflation..how can pumping printed billions into the system monthly not affect it...

I think they have to keep the train wreck going at this point...from handing out trillions in cough covid $$$ to those that didn't need it to financing every war on the globe..

Stop the spending so you can stop the borrowing, living within your means allows one not to worry about interest charged but can celebrate interest earned on safe investments..

Eagler

2 different worlds.
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks

Offline Animl-AW

• Silver Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2024, 09:54:48 AM »
A nice overall crash on just about everything is needed and is what the fed was trying to do but with government passing bills to spend billions on wars and illegal immigrants, that market correction has never been allowed to happen.

No one has the stomach to allow the pain needed for a healthier financial future these days...too busy selling the country out for their next election victory....

Term limits would do wonders imo but the dc ghouls will never vote that on themselves...country is toast imo...just look at the two clowns we have to choose from in 7 months..lol

Eagler

Keep in mind
4 companies own 90% of food production.

Many companies are using inflation to gouge you more. Every company is making record profits. Yes there is inflation, but gouging is going on on top of it.

Big oil made 84 billion profit

Also; Since the tax scam, instead of a 3k tax return, I PAY 3k. 6k difference.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2024, 10:03:08 AM by Animl-AW »
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks