Author Topic: W.I.P. P-47D-26-RA, Lt. James R. Hopkins, 405thFG, 509thFS, Ophoven, Belgium  (Read 204 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
My first overall green drab Thunderbolt.  Underside is bare metal and carries the extra large star-and-bar insignia under both wings.  Still finalizing layer opacities and have some work on the spec and power maps left. 

Click images for full-size versions

The 405th FG was commanded by former 133 Eagle Squadron CO Carroll "Mac" McColpin, who authorized the wild personal decorations on the aircraft for morale purposes,
since the unit was tasked with ground attack missions and during the course of the battles between D-Day and VE-Day, the Group suffered 180% losses. 

This aircraft originally flew with the 56thFG as "Ole Cock III" but wound up transferred to the 9th AF, probably as the 56th was getting its newer M version Thunderbolts in early 1945.
Joe Baugher's serial number site says she met her end in a crash on 13Apr45 two miles west of Horn, Germany, but doesn't specify the cause, whether due to mechanical failure
or enemy fire.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
That's some awesome work there!

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Fantastic!
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Great work on the nose art especially.  Wow.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Beautiful work.  :aok

:cheers:
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Fantastic! Love the nose art.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Thank you very much, guys.   I've had that Thunderbolt in the back of my mind since I first saw the nose art.   

I will see if a can get it finished up and submitted today.  I think we are overdue for the May skin release; perhaps I can get it in under the wire?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
If Hitech hasn't done the release today I'll do a mini-review tomorrow morning. I don't like to do a review during HTC office hours as the last time I did that Hitech was doing the release at the same time and it screwed things up.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
I called Hitech yesterday to remind him about the skin batch. Had to leave a message.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
I finished up and submitted it yesterday.   Thanks to Greebo for his quick response in the review/approval process.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
Very nice Oboe! :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76