Author Topic: Another Embarrassing PC Question  (Read 616 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: Another Embarrassing PC Question
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2024, 09:47:21 AM »
Putting the desktop up off the floor helps keep the crud out

Eagler

I keep it on my desk! I have an extra piece of pergo flooring that I put it on if I ever do move it to the floor (I have carpet in that room).
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2024, 09:54:41 AM »
I have used both an air compressor and canned air. I prefer the canned as it is lower pressure. All it takes is a pen to hold the fan blades while you direct air over them. The video cards now have fans on them too so you have to get under the fan assembly on hem to clean the fins. Canned air with a straw works great there. Static is an issue so be gentle. I try to not touch any circuit boards directly.

If a fan isn't working well, they are fairly cheap to replace.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2024, 12:47:49 PM »
Make sure your compressed air is DRY.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2024, 04:55:42 PM »
Don't use a  vacuum cleaner. Especially if it has a fitting with the nylon bristles on it. Those bristles can hold a static charge at times.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2024, 04:59:47 PM »
Speaking of static, I keep a grounding cable connected to my Warthog throttle. Otherwise touching it can cause the monitors to blank briefly and other weirdness. Used to keep mat for my feet and may again eventually.

Guess I'm just an electrifying personality.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2024, 01:17:12 AM »
Don't use a  vacuum cleaner. Especially if it has a fitting with the nylon bristles on it. Those bristles can hold a static charge at times.
I've used it quite often. But not in a manner you'd vacuum your floor. Just the tube to catch loose dust bunnies from the bare metal bottom, and for sucking the airborne dust blown off by compressed air so it won't spread all over. So it's more about hoovering the immediate proximity.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2024, 03:51:50 AM »
I've used it quite often. But not in a manner you'd vacuum your floor. Just the tube to catch loose dust bunnies from the bare metal bottom, and for sucking the airborne dust blown off by compressed air so it won't spread all over. So it's more about hoovering the immediate proximity.

I vacuum mine regularly. Bought a kit for it. First always all power off from pc by turning PSU switch to off and pushing start button few seconds.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2024, 06:59:42 AM »
On GM ECUs, (77-9278) compressed air would get under a processor and it would jump off the boards.   

They were already under stress because the conformal coating would swell up under components.   

That said, I would stay late at blue streak and spray them off with a garden hose in the parking lot.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2024, 09:41:39 AM »
No such thing as a bad question
Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP