Author Topic: Lock-up in VR  (Read 252 times)

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
Lock-up in VR
« on: July 26, 2024, 04:29:01 PM »
 I am currently running an HP G2 headset ...Has anyone else had any problem of Aces High locking up while in VR ? I have been having random locks (usually once or twice a day) where VR freezes to a still image usually with sound in
the background , windows shows Aces High is Not Responding which requires a full restart of the game and Steam VR.

Occasionally it will even freeze on the game "Start Screen" before even entering the game. I'm thinking of doing a complete reinstall but need to be sure to
get all necessary settings backed up first.

Any advice on reinstall since its been awhile ?
Thanks Guys

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Lock-up in VR
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2024, 09:06:48 AM »
Look ups .....from what Ive read over the years seem to happen due to heat or memory issues.

Be sure your fans are running and vents are clean. Fins on heat sink like on the CPU get clogged over time. I use a cheap 1 inch paint brush to clean a couple times a year. Compressed air cans are good too, but hold the blades of the fans so they dont over speed and damage your system.

Memory fails due to heat as well. VR puts a strain on systems, be sure yours has enough power to keep up. Windows has a memory test. in the search bar on your desktop type Windows Memory Diagnostic and run it. Its not the best test, but if it shows clean your pretty safe.

As for a fresh download, I dont think you need one, but if you want to do it, make a copy of your settings folder in the "Hitech Creations folder and save it someplace like the desktop. After the install replace the settings folder in the game with the one you saved.

Good luck.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2024, 07:54:17 PM »
When I've had them on my PC it was always heat related. I have a 5800X3D on a 360 AIO and Strix 3080 rig. In an 011 Dynamic case with plenty of cooling. I also have a bunch of LED prettiness on it controlled by iCue. VR hits your PC a lot harder than just running on a monitor will. The only time I had a lockup in AH, which generally doesn't tax it too much, was when there was an update to iCue that stopped using the hot spot sensor on my GPU to ramp up all the fans. Fans didn't speed up, box got hot, it locked up. That got fixed in another update and problem solved.

Even so, I've had it happen in other games that do put more of a hurtin on my rig like IL-2 and MSFS. Running both the CPU and GPU at stock, they draw a lot of power and so generate a lot of heat. I found that by slightly under volting both I'm getting the same performance wth less power and heat. This CPU can't be effectively over clocked anyway and will tend to throttle when it gets hot so it benefits from the under volt by keeping it in the boost clocks all the time. Took longer to find the voltage curve on the GPU. Taking away too much power is like running an engine too lean. It'll just lose it the other way. Tiny increments and testing. After the tweaking I haven't had an issue.

But ya really have to watch your temps voltages and power to find the right balance. I use HWInfo and Afterburner for monitoring, 3DMark suite and Cinebench for testing.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2024, 03:59:11 AM »
Overheating is my guess too and cleaning is the cure.

Unfortunately it's impossible to get all the crud out - you just can't dismantle everything for a proper bath. Another thing is that the video card manufacturers seem to prefer low noise over proper cooling. With a new card that's not an issue but as the memory chips bake a little dust on the surface they may slightly overheat and start reacting to lower temperatures. And they're very hard to reach for a good rub.

The aforementioned Afterburner may help as you can adjust the cooling fan profiles. Simply move the curve a tad left so that the fans speed up at lower temperatures. It also allows underclocking which in turns keeps the temperatures lower.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2024, 05:13:17 PM »
Thanks guys
I agree that heat would be my first choice as well , I did clean out the computer about a month ago with compressed air.

I  also have just installed HW monitor and am running it in the background since it sees the temps on just about everything, I havent had it on yet when it locked but so far the CPU and GPU tend to run below 150F
This is an i9 9900KF and a RTX 4070 both running stock with no overclocking
It seems that Aces High will sometimes lock up with the machine cold ...it typically comes up as "not responding" when this happens.
The reinstall may eventually be on the menu ,since its been awhile I seem to remember the settings folder is important to save and re-insert into to the new install.
P.S.  I should have mentioned  that MSFS 2020 runs good with no crashes which is pretty demanding as well
Thanks again gentlemen

I will try to update here what I found just in case someone else has this issue in VR.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2024, 05:40:44 PM »
Power good and steady on any USB port needed?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline PropNut

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2024, 07:02:04 PM »
Thats a good question Eagler...I know USB problems can cause a lot of VR issues.  I will have to see if there is a good way to check those. I think I will try moving the headset USB location before going the re-install route.