Author Topic: TV options when living in the sticks  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Re: TV options when living in the sticks
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2024, 11:11:01 AM »
You guys are living my retirement goals. I'm jealous.  I've got 24 more years of public education to look forward to until I can retire.  Luckily, I'll only be 56 when I can draw full retirement...
Tours 86 - 296

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2024, 11:12:40 AM »
Cool!

What's the longest period of time that you have spent in it none stop ?

Looking at ours like a home away from home living in it 2 to 4 weeks at a time depending on the in-laws health

A king bed was one thing we had to have along with a full size residential refrigerator and this one has both

Eagler
14 months..... in our driveway after Hurricane Harvey flooded our home and we had to have our home rebuilt.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2024, 11:24:26 AM »
14 months..... in our driveway after Hurricane Harvey flooded our home and we had to have our home rebuilt.

Ouch bet that was interesting...just you and the wife? Any pets?

Getting our pitbull in and out of the 5th wheel is something we are working out..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2024, 01:50:28 PM »
Ouch bet that was interesting...just you and the wife? Any pets?

Getting our pitbull in and out of the 5th wheel is something we are working out..

Eagler

My Lab and my Wife's 2 dachshunds at the time stayed in the house at with a/c. We would let them out to do their thing and play.
They are kenneled at a "Dog Resort" when we travel. If we go to a friend's ranch, we may take them.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 01:54:09 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Tech Hangar
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2024, 02:06:59 PM »
My Lab and my Wife's 2 dachshunds at the time stayed in the house at with a/c. We would let them out to do their thing and play.
They are kenneled at a "Dog Resort" when we travel. If we go to a friend's ranch, we may take them.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I raised 5 black labs, ine after another. from baby bottle to old age death,. Extremely well trained to just hand signals. Best dogs ever. 3 of them the local police approached me to sell them to the dept. never did though.

Labs are my best friends. :)
Undue drama and politics is not a fun experience.
One must limit or remove exposure to such toxic poison

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2024, 06:54:37 PM »
Old fashion Cable tv with dvr baby here..

What are the options for television if cable TV is not available?

I thought starlink was both but it's only data..

DirectTV isn't the best with rain and poor footprint

Youtube tv is about as customer friendly as nothing and seems to like to buffer alot

Do you guys just use an outdoor antenna and stream netflix?

Eagler

We had Dish/Direct for YEARS, finally dumped them when the bill hit $140/month for the 4th of 5 levels of BASIC.

(I stupidly told wife to call them up, threaten to cancel, thinking they'd SURELY knuckle under. Called her next day, she said they were gonna send us a box to put their stuff in)

No decent cell reception either. Finally discovered that if you cant get a wisp of cell signal at top of the house, a booster may fix that. For 15 years, we had a 25' fiberglass pole with an omni-directional antenna on top, with a RG-6 cable running down to a 4G cell phone booster. Used a wifi hotspot to feed the PC in living room, and we watched tv with a computer. (it can be done, takes a bit of doing)

AFTER afore-mentioned 15 years, we got fiber right up to the house, (owing to the fact that people in rural areas can neither work remotely, nor attend school remotely without high-speed internet, hence a government program) WE still watch tv the same way, with same computer. We pay $70/month for internet, have Prime, Netflix, Disney+, couple others. A login from son-in-law (Dish employee)  lets us watch network tv, etc. Absent that, we'd probably have to pony up for YouTube tv or something
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2024, 08:06:11 PM »
We had Dish/Direct for YEARS, finally dumped them when the bill hit $140/month for the 4th of 5 levels of BASIC.

(I stupidly told wife to call them up, threaten to cancel, thinking they'd SURELY knuckle under. Called her next day, she said they were gonna send us a box to put their stuff in)

No decent cell reception either. Finally discovered that if you cant get a wisp of cell signal at top of the house, a booster may fix that. For 15 years, we had a 25' fiberglass pole with an omni-directional antenna on top, with a RG-6 cable running down to a 4G cell phone booster. Used a wifi hotspot to feed the PC in living room, and we watched tv with a computer. (it can be done, takes a bit of doing)

AFTER afore-mentioned 15 years, we got fiber right up to the house, (owing to the fact that people in rural areas can neither work remotely, nor attend school remotely without high-speed internet, hence a government program) WE still watch tv the same way, with same computer. We pay $70/month for internet, have Prime, Netflix, Disney+, couple others. A login from son-in-law (Dish employee)  lets us watch network tv, etc. Absent that, we'd probably have to pony up for YouTube tv or something

Heya beej  :salute good to know you're still doing ok out in the sticks!
Tours 86 - 296

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2024, 10:53:46 AM »
LIVIN THE DREAM!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2024, 11:58:02 AM »

I uss the same setup with the signal booster, works pretty awesome.  Not cheap however.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2024, 06:40:27 AM »
5th wheel setup on the in-laws spread..

Sank a 14' quartered telephone pole to mount the off air antenna with rotor then got it to the TV slide..

Now have around 40 off air digital channels

Will be setting up starlink next trip up in a couple of weeks...

Anyone heard of something called Extreme tv?

Seems popular around these parts though it doesn't sound to legal..and buffers like crazy on wireless from what I have seen

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2024, 10:27:09 AM »
Based on what you described, this may be it.  https://xtremehdiptv.io/en/
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2024, 08:33:26 PM »
I uss the same setup with the signal booster, works pretty awesome.  Not cheap however.
I had an unlimited Verizon data plan from the late 90's (downside it had max 600 talking minutes, outside of my 10 "favorites"). Everytime they upgraded Android, I had to spend a week figuring out how to hack my phone again, so it wouldn't call up Verizon when I turned on the hotspot. Did that for 15-20 years. Eventually, I couldn't do that anymore, and ponied up for a modern plan with the max hotspot usage (30 gigs, which is about a week of TV watching, if you're careful to force the tv to use the lower resolutions) We bout 4 30 gig chips for the hotspot, changed out the sim card every weekend...did THAT for a few years. When Covid started up, a government program became available for peeps who live in the sticks, and we could grab a hotspot from the public library, swap it out every couple weeks. FINALLY, fiber right up to the house!

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2024, 12:01:50 PM »
I had an unlimited Verizon data plan from the late 90's (downside it had max 600 talking minutes, outside of my 10 "favorites"). Everytime they upgraded Android, I had to spend a week figuring out how to hack my phone again, so it wouldn't call up Verizon when I turned on the hotspot. Did that for 15-20 years. Eventually, I couldn't do that anymore, and ponied up for a modern plan with the max hotspot usage (30 gigs, which is about a week of TV watching, if you're careful to force the tv to use the lower resolutions) We bout 4 30 gig chips for the hotspot, changed out the sim card every weekend...did THAT for a few years. When Covid started up, a government program became available for peeps who live in the sticks, and we could grab a hotspot from the public library, swap it out every couple weeks. FINALLY, fiber right up to the house!

Yeah I'm hoping this government package will get fiber out to my place in the next few years. I still use dish in combination with some streaming and haven't ran into data issues yet.  My 4g internet service claims unlimited, but I highly doubt it doesn't get throttled at a certain data usage.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2024, 08:09:36 PM »
Thank Trump! He recognized that rural  (Republican) voters were underserved