Author Topic: Gameing the game  (Read 643 times)

Offline NineZ

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.user.shentel.net/vonz/jagdneun.html
Gameing the game
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2000, 06:12:00 AM »
Our squadron took off from base 12 in 6 or 7 B17's.  While enroute to the target, base 11, I gave repeated updates on our position.  Our specific targets where the fighter hangers.  We knocked out all the fighter hangers and a couple bomber hangers in addition to the vehicle hanger at base eleven.

But in spite of the updates on our position, there was no one there taking out the ack.  Spawning B-26's are a pain but with the rook airpower that we had available to us, we should have been able to knock em down.  It was the ack still being up that prevented us from taking that base.

I had a great time last night and it was a shame we didnt take 11, but we have to get our timing down.  I cant blame that on the game design.  Anytime you get someone who is willing to die again and again to save his base, well it aint going to be easy.

------------------

[This message has been edited by NineZ (edited 05-25-2000).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Gameing the game
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2000, 06:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by Creamo:
So e-mail him Saw, whats that got to do with these guys missing the strat of AH?

Creamo, JUST STOP READING WHAT I POST IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPIER, OK ?

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Gameing the game
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2000, 07:18:00 AM »

Originally posted by Beefcake:
It would take 36 1k bombs to close that damn airfield. Thats 12 damn B17s loaded with 6 1kers each.

No thats 6 B17s since each b17 carries 6 1000 lbers.  Plus one more buff for ack.  Decrease that by the number of eggs required for the buff hanger (most people dont bother uppin in buffs to save a field...takes too long to spool up engines).  Now if there were 11-15 people there.  You couldnt find six of them willing to take that field back?  

Sounds like a problem with teamwork but 11 is a difficult base to take.  We had our own problems trying to take 26 yesterday but once some or our pilots got their heads out of their asses, we got the field.

Dont blame a defending pilot for gaming the game.   Blame your fellow countrymen for not grabbing a few buffs to close the field.

-Ding

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
Gameing the game
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2000, 07:28:00 AM »

Originally posted by NineZ:
But in spite of the updates on our position, there was no one there taking out the ack.  It was the ack still being up that prevented us from taking that base.

Too bad it didnt work out for ya NineZ.  I love it when big combination ops like these get going!  Thats what makes this game so great.  

Despite the JG2 being the bane of the earth (I love ya guys anyway  ) they do work together well as a team.  I've seen the same ability from the Bish and Rooks once a group gets organized.

-Ding

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Gameing the game
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2000, 07:58:00 AM »
I was there too.  It WAS frustrating, but not entirely "gaming the game".  At one point, I was orbiting the field in a B-17 killing acks as they came up.  We had all the ack down, the VH down, and about six fighters capping the field.  This lasted for at least 10 minutes while not a single rook would grab a goon to capture the field.  (Salute to those who flew goons earlier.)  I have to believe that two goons would have done it, with all those fighters to suppress the one guy defending.

It IS crazy that one guy could stop us -- but it wasn't HIS fault.

My two cents...

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
Gameing the game
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2000, 08:31:00 AM »
lets see........ 12 hangers at 3 k each....... 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 = 36 hmmm was right there so....... Ok I'm sorry I messed up. Ok it would only take 7 B17s to close a large base. But thats not the point. Point is it is kinda depressing (to me anyway) to spend 4 hours attacking a base only to be screwed by a fighter spawning from the hanger.

Sigh my 2 cents (I guess)

[This message has been edited by Beefcake (edited 05-25-2000).]
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
Gameing the game
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »

Originally posted by Beefcake:
Point is it is kinda depressing (to me anyway) to spend 4 hours attacking a base only to be screwed by a fighter spawning from the hanger.

Yes it is frustrating but you only have your countrymen to blame.  While I understand your point regarding the realism of having one enemy defending the base, teamwork can overcome it.  All countries have to deal with this issue.  Its not a rook specific issue.

Now regarding the problem of getting goons in the air.  I feel your pain since I've been in the same situation but I dont know what you can do about it besides grabbing one yourself.  

I much prefer the fighter aspect over buffing but if you look at the number of sorties I've flown in both, you will see that I almost have as many buff missions as I do fighter missions.  If you cant get someone to do something, do it yourself  

-Ding

[This message has been edited by Dingy (edited 05-25-2000).]

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Gameing the game
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2000, 08:45:00 AM »
Its simple guys.....put together an organized attack with the required elements(13th TAS usually takes one more buff than is necessary due to my poor buffing skills)and NEVER take jus one 47  

I agree it's kinda silly with the one plane thingie,however, is also kinda silly to waste your time trying to accomplish something without the necessary firepower and coordination.

I've learned that when our squad tries to capture a field, if we cannot do it right from the get go, we jus rtb and regroup...flying out of sequence is a giant waste of time....kinda like this post  

Cyas Up!

Rude Out!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rude (edited 05-25-2000).]

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
Gameing the game
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2000, 10:00:00 AM »
Feel the love.

------------------
The orignal Volcano man of AcesHigh.

[This message has been edited by JoeMud (edited 05-25-2000).]

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Gameing the game
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2000, 11:04:00 AM »
hey fatty...these guys are whining again!

<climbs out of the cockpit of his beatup f4u, squints into the glaring sun at the reporters running up to him>

reporter: "how'd you do it, just one squad?"

mas: "heh, we're fat, we're bastards, and we fly like....well, .... we fly whenever we get off the runway."

reporter: "you mean thats all it took?"

mas: "hell, whatever it takes, we take it there!... those other squads tuck tails and whine about it. kinda fun that way...knowing we're about to take on the loosing end of a 4 stack of cannons."

SHUT UP AND FLY!

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Gameing the game
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2000, 11:12:00 AM »
We Knights tried to take A6 the other night... we had the field prepped, we had hangars down, we had ack suppressed- we even had 2 C47's coming in. Know what happened? They both dropped troops too low. Fighter hangar pops up, next C47 comes and gets most of troops in, but one gets strafed by a Spitfire on the runway. We alternately fight ack popping up, Vhangar popping up, etc. Finally the assault ran out of steam as people lost interest. The defense was successful.

Am I mad at the lone 205/Spit that saved their base? No way, he did a great job. The fault was ours for not dropping troops high enough. That is the game, and I like the way field capture is handled right now very much.