Author Topic: Our Next Fighter Variant, what do You think?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
Our Next Fighter Variant, what do You think?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2000, 03:55:00 PM »
Whoops, this is just for fighters, forget the bombers and add the P-38 F and the Oscar

------------------
Milo

JG 2

Offline Pappy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2000, 04:05:00 PM »
I think they should paint the rest of the picture before buying the frame, fill in all the missing fighters that actualy saw some use in pac and europe then get on with the the gadget planes. Where is the P47, F6F, F4F, Hurricane, and the like. Hell Yeager said he chassed a JU-88 clear across the english channel in his stang before he could finaly get close enough to shot it. C'mon lets flesh this thing out then fly 262's

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2000, 04:19:00 PM »
Exile, ygsmilo, Pappy, Citabria and all the others  

The reason I haven't inlcuded the P-47, F4F, F6F, P-40, Ki-45, and any other Japanese is because they are not variants of any existing aircraft that we ALREADY have in the game.

*points to subject that says which new variant will we get next*

Possible addition of totally new aircraft is a whole nother thread  

*walks away muttering to himself "variants, I tell you... variants"

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2000, 04:54:00 PM »
The B/C model pony... or Mustang III in RAF colors, all of them were in combat in large numbers with malcom hood thru the end of the war.. Funked put up some nice art; and there's a thread over in A/C and Vehicles discussing Bud Anderson's Old Crow as a likely markings candidate.

Why a B model stang?? Well; contrary to popular belief, the B model was a better plane than the D model in some very key areas, and an honest B has never been modeled correctly in any sim; including 'brandW'.

Advantages of the B model over the D.. it's faster and lighter. Better accel; better climb rate. Better turn, better low speed handling, and with the malcom hood, better cockpit visibilty down, aft and to the lower rear quarters due to the fishbowl of the hood. Further.. it's stonger, the airframe had fewer gripes; the wings were thinner and the drag was lower. A plus.. the shiny alum skin is in cammo.  

The only thing the D model brought to the fight the B couldn't do better.. firepower. 4 .50's instead of six.

Frankly; in the type of furballing we see most often, a more nimble stang would be a welcome addition to the US inventory as the kind of fights that we have in AH beg for this plane. IMHO we need it as a foil for all those damn 109's.  

Variants on the Mustang III included numerous 'tuned up' versions that were used to run down V2's. These hopped up Mustang III's routinely acheiving 420mph in level flight at 2000 feet..  

Up to now; there has been no sim that has fairly represented this plane and it's TRUE capabilities. In all other sims, the B model is weaker; slower; poorer in all aspects.

I'm hopin that will change here...

Alternative P51's.. the Mustang II; allison power; 4 hispano cannons. Can you saw hawg buster? The A36.. with dive brakes and allison power; this one has some potential on the deck and in the jabo role.

The P51H.. yes; this did not see 'combat'; however 555 of them had rolled off the line by VJ day; and they were flying in squadron service in the pacific theatre. More of these were built than Ta152's by wars end.. and only quirks in squadron equippage kept it from actually engaging in combat. A superb fighter... truly be a shame to miss having this.

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

sallie

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2000, 06:47:00 PM »
Well everyone knows Sally flies nutten but corsairs,So naturally i would like the f4u-4. As long as it has the correct speed,clime rate and the amout of hardwar(armor and ammo amounts)and of corse the 4 bladed 13 ft hamilton standard hydromatic constant speed prop. i would prefer cannons becouse im not the best dog fighter,so my best friend is the cannons,but for those cannon haters,I will get better at dog fighting and make them hate the corsairs period   thanks and been fun     Sally of The Lone Wolfs

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2000, 07:45:00 PM »
All good choices here...I would like to see the P-51B or P-47 of all of those. I wouldn't expect F4F's, F6F's, etc, until they get going with the Naval additions to the game.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2000, 08:20:00 PM »
Regular arena varients: La7, Spit IX varients, P51B/C, A36 (Allison p51 with 4 20mm dive bomber), Me109E, F4u-4 (not the B version   ), Spit I, 109K4 (retractable tailwheel, hence not a g10   ), 190D9

Upcoming Uber-Varients: Spit XIV, move F4u-1c here, Ta 152H0.

There I did it, all varients!  

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2000, 08:33:00 PM »
Variants on current planeset eh?

Fw 190F-8
Spitfire LF Mk XVI (Packard Merlin 266, clipped wings, teardrop canopy)
Tempest Mk V (Series II)
P-51/Mustang Ia(4x20mm), or A-36A(6x.50in) "Apache"
P-38G
La-7

YB-40 "Ackstar"  

[This message has been edited by juzz (edited 05-25-2000).]

JFalk

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2000, 08:34:00 PM »
For some reason I just have to agree with Funked and banana, they seem to make the most sense here... Yep Mustang III like above with the Malcolm Hood, American Plane, RAF paintjob, Polish Markings and everyone is happy except the French.

Falkowsk

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2000, 09:14:00 PM »
Pyro stated, online, that we will see the P51 H. Learn to duck boys.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2000, 09:47:00 PM »
ooooohhhhhhyessssssssssssssss sssssssss......

......the P51H...  

.. uprated Merlin V-1659-9; 2218hp boosted
.. 463 mph @ 15K
.. 1750lbs lighter than D model
.. 0-5k feet in 1.5 min
.. Improved vis over the D
.. disc brakes  
.. simplifed and far more rugged cooling system
.. broad cord low drag wing (no kink)
.. dramaticly increased fin height; new tailplane, yaw fixed forever
.. longer fuselage; raised cockpit
.. 6 or 4 .50's, improved ammo feeds, 8 degree high deflection gunsight

A superb machine... lordy.. I can't wait.  

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2000, 10:48:00 PM »
Eeeeeeek.

I will now practise my running  

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2000, 10:51:00 PM »
Are you sure you want more fighters?  With the appearence of the armored vehicles it might be more prudent to have some ground support types.  EG: the A-36 comes to mind for a P51 variant.  The twin engine Pe-2 would also be a good choice.  I guess it depends on how many favor fighter to fighter combat versus combining resources for field captures etc..  If I was voting for fighters only I would pick a Yak-3.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2000, 11:01:00 PM »
Hangtime, I like your thinking.  P-51H would be bloody righteous.  

------------------
SnakeEyes
o-o-o-
=4th Fighter Group=

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2000, 12:42:00 AM »
Hangtime.
All good ideas. I think every plane should have a version with the $ X hispano just so you never know what your meeting.
Comparing Numbers of aircraft produced gives unfair advantage to the Americans, while the "combat"test gives unfair advantage to the Germans many of whos prototypes saw combat.
You are smart enough not to throw that comment in about the TA152. Ignoring low production is right now very much to the advantage of American Iron fans. The H will likely be in the game. And it will have to deal with TA152H1s when it gets there.