Author Topic: Frame Rate comparisons?  (Read 246 times)

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
Frame Rate comparisons?
« on: January 15, 2002, 07:35:05 PM »
Is there some sorta standard in-game FR comparison that folks use?  In WB we used to sit onthe deck of an enemy character while invulnerable and take a reading from that.

D

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Frame Rate comparisons?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2002, 08:21:21 PM »
there are some benchmarks people use. There is also the madonion benchmark posts that can give you a really good idea of how well your machine stacks up in the 3D department. The threads are in this forum.  you could also do a search for "benchmark" and maybe find something in the game. Search this forum.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Doberman

• Copper Member
Frame Rate comparisons?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2002, 12:51:15 AM »
Actually, being an artificial benchmark, 3DMark is not the be-all end-all of testing.  Sure, it can give you a decent relative idea but real world performance can often differ.    I've had one system 3DMark lower, yet show higher in-game FPS in certain games.  Have you read on some of the hardware sites about the drive tweaking that goes on by the vid card companies specifically aimed at getting higher scores in 3DMark & other popular benchmarks like Quake?

I DO use 3DMark, and will be posting numbers tomorrow to the other thread.  A quick scan makes me think that I may have the highest numbers posted here on my main system, an overclocked 1900+ and ATI 8500.  :)   But that doesn't mean as much to me as an actual in-game FPS reading.

D

BTW, you were/are -ammo- in WB?  Swamp Foxes?

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
Frame Rate comparisons?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2002, 10:35:35 AM »
More along the lines of what you were asking, Doberman, I usually log into the MA and find a field that is bombed and smoking and hop onto the runway to see what my low end FPS will be at  a given resolution.