Author Topic: Wind and Windsocks  (Read 100 times)

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
Wind and Windsocks
« on: January 15, 2002, 08:43:14 AM »
With all the constant discussion about the realizm of different aircraft and aircraft models, there is a basic item that, IMHO, is missing from the airfields of AH.  

Windsocks and the wind, needed to make them functional.  This would create much additional realism; again just my opinion.

Fly it like ya stole it
« Last Edit: January 15, 2002, 12:00:58 PM by Bonden »

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
Wind and Windsocks
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2002, 07:20:11 AM »
Nice idea!

Also could add some wind direction and speed changes during 6/12/24h/week/month/tour. It would be fun fly back to the airfield, go around and check windsock. If enemy had distroy it you need ask some help or just do it.

Offline Bonden

• Nickel Member
Wind and Windsocks
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2002, 08:44:02 AM »
Thanks Xjazz.  After lookin around some, I found that there has been lots of discussion re: wind direction indicators but, just wanted to keep the idea alive.  

I "grew up" at a grass, uncontrolled field and ya had to have one. Fortunately tho, it was real near the ocean on one end and a field full of cows on the other - so, if a sock was destroyed by wind or something, either the cows or the ocean gave a reliable indication.

:)

Offline lemur

• Zinc Member
Wind and Windsocks
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2002, 05:21:34 PM »
Not to mention the smoke from burning hangers should be a good indication.

Just to highjack this thread a bit: Any chance we could have the runway selection buttons somehow indicate wind direction (not to mention significant terrain off the end of the runway)?

After all, this is pretty much standard info at EVERY airfield.

~Lemur