Author Topic: AH vs. FA  (Read 210 times)

Offline ZZZZ

• Zinc Member
AH vs. FA
« on: January 16, 2002, 10:49:10 PM »
Hiya,

Just wanted to know why i should stop flying FA 2.5 (FA3 BETA) and transfer to AH?

I have never tried AH but i have to agree that the different fighting options such as manning other things than planes seems cool.

How is things like graphics, plane modeling etc. compared to FA?

Rgrds

I am "ZZZZ" but not very tired

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
AH vs. FA
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2002, 10:54:29 PM »
Chalk and cheese.

FA2 lasted about 15mins on my HDD, AH has been there or months now and no sign of getting deleted.  If you move to AH and learn the flying, you wont go back...

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2002, 11:06:57 PM »
Fly what you like to fly. Bottom line.
You get a two-week free trial.  Give it a shot.
Of course, I strongly recommend you read the manual, and try some offline flight before going online.
You'll probably be surprised by the physics in the flight models.  It's a whole different league up here.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2002, 11:22:34 PM »
Because FA is for girls and children!  :)

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2002, 11:29:02 PM »
Yep, best advice is give it a try for two weeks. Fly it offline a bunch before you start to get familiar with the guns and flight model of one or two aircraft.

Then make up your own mind.

I think you'll like it though.

Good luck!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2002, 11:34:37 PM »
FA offers more gameplay options and is generally somewhat more polished than AH is. This is to be expected since FA has been around twice as long as AH.

AH, on the other hand, is newer, is developing faster, and has far more future potential than FA does.  In addition, AH is more accurate at the heart of the game--flight physics.  Finally, HTC the company is reason enough by itself to subscribe to AH--you'll never find a more responsive, dedicated company ANYWHERE.  They truly CARE about their product and their customers.

IMO they both have plusses, so try out AH and see which you like better  :)

J_A_B

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2002, 12:46:01 AM »
I flew FA 1.0, FA 1.5 and FA 2.0.

In my not-so-humble opinion, you should stop flying FA immediately and jump in AH.  It is far superior in every way.

Be sure to delete FA from your HD to prevent the desire to fly a sim you can get kills in.  The learning curve is steep here, but well worth the effort.  

Just don't get frustrated before you have given AH its due.  

F.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2002, 02:30:31 AM »
Flew FA1.5 and FA2.0

Started AH, thought the game was porked, and gave up

Restarted AH at version 1.04..

Since then, one would have to dig up fossils and kilobytes to determine whether FA ever existed on my computer system. Hooked onto AH for good. FA had its charms, and some of the strategic systems were fun and interesting.. but overall FA in the air combat sense is totally out-classed by AH. The only thing it is ever better than AH is it has huge PR force backing it up .. the might MS :rolleyes:

One thing:

I thought I was a good pilot, and ya know how flight sim gamers are one of the most headstrong people in the world :D The devastation of being blown outta the sky time after time made it hard to swallow down one's pride :) .. but on the whole, the interest I had in AH outsized the pride-wreck. The learning curve is indeed steep.. perhaps gets steeper the more you learn.. but that sort of challenge sparks up one's balls (*zzzzzt* :eek: )

:) Give it a good try m8.

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2002, 02:51:10 AM »
Im also a "VET" from FA,,,,and like Furious said stop immediately,
its not worth the time.When i first tried Ah out ,i had some great doubts about it,,,,,,i considered myself a decent pilot in other flight
sims(like others before me),but AH soon burst my bubble.
Now i`ve been here a year and hasn`t regret it .
But take your time offline to learn the basic of the game,believe
me its needed,,,,,,,,,,,,,or else you`ll be eaten alive :cool:.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2002, 02:59:01 AM »
*Thinks about the 3 day trial in FA, backs away, runs in to the nearest wall with head first*
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2002, 03:02:44 AM »
Im also a "VET" from FA,,,,and like Furious said stop immediately,
its not worth the time.When i first tried Ah out ,i had some great doubts about it,,,,,,i considered myself a decent pilot in other flight
sims(like others before me),but AH soon burst my bubble.
Now i`ve been here a year and hasn`t regret it .
But take your time offline to learn the basic of the game,believe
me its needed,,,,,,,,,,,,,or else you`ll be eaten alive :cool:.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2002, 07:35:20 AM »
Graphics were average at best even two years ago in FA 2.5 and the attention to detail (FM, ballistics, etc etc ) is simply not there. Glass cockpits and infallable padlock are two major detractors for FA and only help maintains FA's rep as the arcade of all WWII aircombat games.  The Ultra real "room" is so under used as to not be a viable representative of the FA "experience" at all. However, the territorial combat arena was a very nice and novell idea for online gameplay.  AI tanks and all that.
 They do have FA 3 coming soon but it is an early beta available via a whopping  ~250mb download.  But imo it looks horrible.

With AH having a free 2 week "no-obligation-but-let-me-shoot-you-down-trial" there's no need to ask folks "why" as you can see for yourself easy enough.

Good luck and enjoy what you find to be more fun for you.

Westy

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2002, 08:13:54 AM »
because AH is better in all ways

old FA 1.0 and 1.5 here as are most of the squad

tried AH, didn't like the run from tower thingy, little planes, HARD FM - went back to FA

tried it again with help from ppl like Titanium & Sniper & others, never went back .. even though at the time AH cost 3X as much as FA, it was/is worth every penny.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
AH vs. FA
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2002, 09:17:10 AM »
Do this, it should work out real good for ya.

Fly Aces High for a week, do not fly FA.  Once that week is over, fire up FA and give it a whirl.  If you decide to stay in FA...beat yourself sensless with a large wooden mallet.

Tumor :D
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
AH vs. FA
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2002, 09:36:16 AM »
One other point.....

AH works as an 8 player only game (it's called head to head); for free, for ever (not just two weeks).

Download it; get some FA mates to download it, set up a server and see if you and your mates can have fun together.  (that's the software acceptance phase)

Then you can log on for your two weeks free trial and see if you like the online arenas (that's the gameplay/community acceptance phase)

What ever you do, report back! Feedback rools....