Author Topic: Launch Error  (Read 334 times)

Offline chance-airwolf

• Zinc Member
Launch Error
« on: January 20, 2002, 12:46:10 AM »
What's the fix for:

ERROR
Initialization failed with -5
mainSN_Failed -2

I've been offline since the 1.08 version came out, finally upgraded my vid card, deleted the former AH program, d/l'd the latest version from the website, and now a new problem...  
What happens?  I click on Start/Programs/Aces High, click on the AH icon, AH window opens with blank white page, screens blacks out for a couple of seconds, then the AH window reappears full screen with an "Error" window with the above message.

Chance is open to suggestions...

and if you need to know:
P3-450Mhz, 128Mb RAM, nVidia GeForce2 MX200
DirectX 8.0 version 4.08.00.0400
nVidia driver version 4.13.01.2311

Offline chance-airwolf

• Zinc Member
What DrDea said...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2002, 01:03:39 AM »
I missed DrDea's post, but will add that I pulled my sound card due to unresolved conflict with my Jstick... is this -5/-2 error message related to sound card?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Launch Error
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2002, 11:58:53 AM »
I have the same error. Here are my specs.

AMD t-bird 1.4 gig
DFI mobo AMD chipset
GEForce 2 mx400 64 meg vid card, latest drivers from manufacturer.
Avance logic sound card
512 megs RAM
DX8.1

I first noticed my joystick wasn't detected. I removed the sound card drivers and reinstalled. I moved the card to differant slots and did get the joystick back once but no sound. Now I have no sound in some games and no joystick recognition at all.

I have done a virus scan, mcafee found a dll type virus, and cleaned my system. No change.

I have flashed my bios, reset the mobo drivers and checked for new drivers. Nothing has worked.

The system properties indicates the sound card and joystick drivers are properly installed and functioning. I just get an error indicating the games are unable to initialize the sound card. The real kicker is when I visit a site with a sound background I hear the music just like before. I also get the windows sounds as well. I am going to get a new sound card today and hope that does it. :confused:

Anyone have any ideas??? Bloom HALP!!!!

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Launch Error
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2002, 02:32:42 PM »
Just a quick update. It seems my sound card was hosed. I got a new sound blaster 16 and everything works just fine now. The old card wouldn't work in the kids puter so that pretty much confirmed a card malfunction. I am back up and happy!

You might want to check with a spare card if you have one or go get a "cheapie" card and swap it out with that error we got. I got this new SB16 for less than $30.00 US here. It does fine for what I want.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline chance-airwolf

• Zinc Member
Ya don't say...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2002, 05:09:42 PM »
Sound card, eh?  Hmmm, for $30 I guess I'll give it a try...
Glad it worked out for you DrDea!
Friggin' puters... nowadays, I just wanna put gas in it and go...

Offline chance-airwolf

• Zinc Member
Scratch that...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2002, 05:10:42 PM »
Uh, Mav, I meant...

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Launch Error
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2002, 06:00:39 PM »
I believe that error means you don't have a sound card installed or being recognized.  AH REQUIRES you to have a sound card in the system to work.  It sounds like you don't have one chance.

Offline chance-airwolf

• Zinc Member
XXX & 000's
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2002, 07:46:55 PM »
Bloom!  If you weren't in OR, I'd give ya a big 'ol manly kiss!  
I had removed my sound card because of a conflict with my CH gear (an annual gremlin event), and after I reinstalled it, the clipboard appeared - Success!!!   I didn't know a sound card was mandatory.
By the way, if you noticed in my previous post, the new vid card (we had discussed before) is what got me back in the game.  The sound card was just temporary turbulence.
Next I'll have to peruse the board for system tweaks and performance improvements... then re-train myself on how to operate my aircraft in the AH environment and offer myself as cannon fodder to those I will fly against.

Thanks again for your help, Bloom.
Chance

:D