Author Topic: organization ruining the MA.  (Read 2385 times)

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
organization ruining the MA.
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2002, 06:12:44 PM »
Rather ironic that the guys supporting gangbanging...err sorry..organization in the MA, also love gangbanging lazs in this thread.

Strange though, 20 vs 1 and where wit and logic is concerned it's still a fair fight.  :)

eddiek,
Do you have to dry off your monitor after you post?  Calm down bud.

bowser

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2002, 06:13:56 PM »
Nah... i don't wanna quit. Just lay back and do something else fer awile besides fly around in circles chasing someone who's chasing someone who's chasing the guy who's chasing me. Kinda like that snake that eats itself... or herding cats. Neither pastime is much fun fer me.

I was kinda surprised by yer post tho... I really don't think the furball is in much danger of being eradicated by organization in the MA.

Yes, you can keep the flowers and candy. ;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2002, 06:29:07 PM »
Apache:

Okay here goes my attempt at it :).

You can "disable" fields by killing the fighter and vehicle hangers.  At this point nobody can launch defenders from the field.  So.... If fighters can always roll from a friendly controlled field no matter what is down, then the field is harder to disable.

Here is a way to make fields easy to capture.  If any aircraft successfully lands on an enemy field or a single goon makes it into the building, you capture it.

This would make undefended fields easy to capture, kill the ack and quickly land or drop one goon and it's yours.  Easy to capture also means easy to recapture.

Using this system 2 or 3 guys can quickly take a field.  Nobody is going to set up a mission with 50 guys to take one field because their work can be undone so easily (they will set up a mission to take 5 fields instead).  The flip side is that if you see 4 guys hitting a field, a couple guys can roll from that field (or a nearbye field if they are sufficiently close) and have a good possibility of preventing the capture.

Right now the MA strat system seems to have the effect of concentrating forces into several large groupings that tend to go unopposed (i.e. who wants to try to stop 25 enemy all by themselves or with a buddy or two), and capturing fields takes concentrated effort.  What the MA strat system should do is create an environment where many small fights take place and fields change hands rapidly.

Players who want the gratification of orchestrating large successful operations would still get to do it.  But instead of capturing 3 fields in an evening, they might capture 15, lose 6 and recapture 4.

I'm not going to pretend that my suggestions for making the MA more fluid and action oriented are perfect.  But I have no doubt that there are changes that could be made to create the desired effect.

Hooligan

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2002, 06:29:36 PM »
hang i was surprised by yours also..  I never claimed that I  understood you but at least you are coherent at all times.  

It just seemed odd to me when I read your post that the two of us have such a different idea of what is going on in the arena.   This is all the more puzzling to me since (unlike a few of the others) I have never found your honesty to be in question.

I write it off to the "anything goes" aspect of the MA plane wise.   What that does is create two seperate gameplays in one arena... never the two to touch... If you fly late war planes effectively (and you do).. Then you will never even get a chance to mix it up with some of us furballers and vice versa.
lazs

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
lazs (edited for comprehension)
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2002, 06:41:42 PM »
"I think closer fields will spread out the fight"

"Bigger maps will just mean more deserted area"

"futher fields will just mean that people will fear moving away from the safety of their ack"

"people concentrate on a very few fields now.... spread out the fields and they will concentrate on even fewer fields leaving even more of the map deserted"
====
What I hear lazs saying is that the terrains are driving the MA to is current frenzied mass dweebery furball condition.  He may very well be right, but Im having the sneaky suspician that there is simply more to it than the layout of any particular terrain.  Applying lazs' common sense theory of terrain influenced gameplay,  the three terrains we have in rotation are unique enough amongst themselves to drive the crowd in three uniquely different directions, yet all three terrains tend to end up with similar mass hordes (furballs) at a very limited number of battles, as such Im thinking that the majority of players are impacting the way battles are fought on  the terrains, not the other way around.

In any event, perhaps HTC should create a smaller more compacted terrain to fit the mold presribed by lazs.  Hell, anything is worth a try.

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2002, 07:00:46 PM »
Im beggining to suspect Lazs is really HT's superhero persona, that comes out to lash back at us whining costumers when the Craggenmore is no more.

;) ;) ;) :D

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2002, 07:26:39 PM »
Lazs, man; I apologize fer hollering over the abyss about the lack of a bridge.

Frankly, I had a really lousy week; and my stress management tool was suddenly FUBAR. There are times I just wanna log on for an hour or so, find a good furball and some wingies and blow off some steam... other times i get all anal and decide to carpet bomb some part of the map into oblivion for half a day or so. lately it's been so damn nuttso in the MA, with friendlies bickering at friendlies, the KeWel DooDz were mobbing up my usually serene outlook to the point I was getting none of what I wanted from the sim... so I threw a temper tantrum on the BBS and blamed everybody else fer whats been buggin me.

usually i never lack for whatever it is I'm looking for.. all i gotta do is flip on funked's AWACS data link and make a decision.

lately, it's been like a freakin kiddie parlour 24/7 in the MA.. who wants to eat at chuckie cheeze every night with all the sqaulling kids totin full loads in their diapers? The MA seems to me to have changed dramaticly.. and whats obvious is the massive furball/gangbang swarm of monkey-butts in diapers thrashing around accomplishing nothin more lasting than fresh grafitti on the sides of hangers.

i feel better about it now... like a lot of folks have pointed out, the new crowd needs time to settle into the playpen. I'll work it out I'm sure, maybe switch off into some more 1 v 1's if they ever get the DA straightened out, get my hand in at helping with the CT or TA.. do something constructive and rewarding with my energy and not pound my head against the toejam smeared diapers covering the walls in the current MA. :)

What i found more surprising than anything else outta all of this was the similar reactions of a lotta guys that see the very same things... and they came to similar conclusions. And their solutions are pretty much the same as mine... give it a rest, do something else, the place is inna flux, and after awile, it'll be better.

At least; I hope so.

But that's my problem... and it's supposed fix. what about yours?

Perhaps a terrain that has a large depression towards the center.. below sea level.. rimmed around with canyon walls to create a bowl, with opposing fields on the cliff tops above. The late war stuff won't wanna go down in there, trying to grab back out will get 'em killed fer sure. A sort of 'furball gultch' in the terrain that has no strat value, the fields on the rim are permanaent, can't be captured. Would this promote and localize the kind of fight your looking for... think that might work?

Anyhow.. sorry if i started something that i shouldn't have... we all coulda gone fer a long time without me kickin the can over I guess.. sorry fer the crushed toes 'n all...

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2002, 07:49:02 PM »
the two funniest things in the thread:

"monkey-butt furballing slavering drooling furballers "

AND

lazs thinking people fear him.

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2002, 07:55:20 PM »
Originally posted by Hooligan
Apache:

Okay here goes my attempt at it :).

You can "disable" fields by killing the fighter and vehicle hangers.  At this point nobody can launch defenders from the field.  So.... If fighters can always roll from a friendly controlled field no matter what is down, then the field is harder to disable.

Here is a way to make fields easy to capture.  If any aircraft successfully lands on an enemy field or a single goon makes it into the building, you capture it.

This would make undefended fields easy to capture, kill the ack and quickly land or drop one goon and it's yours.  Easy to capture also means easy to recapture.

Using this system 2 or 3 guys can quickly take a field.  Nobody is going to set up a mission with 50 guys to take one field because their work can be undone so easily (they will set up a mission to take 5 fields instead).  The flip side is that if you see 4 guys hitting a field, a couple guys can roll from that field (or a nearbye field if they are sufficiently close) and have a good possibility of preventing the capture.

Right now the MA strat system seems to have the effect of concentrating forces into several large groupings that tend to go unopposed (i.e. who wants to try to stop 25 enemy all by themselves or with a buddy or two), and capturing fields takes concentrated effort.  What the MA strat system should do is create an environment where many small fights take place and fields change hands rapidly.

Players who want the gratification of orchestrating large successful operations would still get to do it.  But instead of capturing 3 fields in an evening, they might capture 15, lose 6 and recapture 4.

I'm not going to pretend that my suggestions for making the MA more fluid and action oriented are perfect.  But I have no doubt that there are changes that could be made to create the desired effect.

Hooligan

Thanks my friend. I'm not a numb nuts after all it seems. Until your explanation, harder to capture was the end result of harder to disable but I see the distinct difference. Makes sense too I might add.

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2002, 07:55:44 PM »
You gotta admire Lazs for being dedicated to his cause. If you really want to see him go nuts, open a WWII Arena like Warbirds did.
There will be a great nashing of teeth. :D

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2002, 08:04:49 PM »
You gotta admire Lazs for being dedicated to his cause.

Yah know... in a kinda 'where the hell's my baseball bat, this guy's attitude needs adjusting' sort way, I do.

But since i can't quite get my hands around 'admire the guy' I can get a grip on 'respect the guy'.  I think he's a heluva pilot to in that hawg, too. Like to see him and Torque go at it someday. I do know he could teach me stuff... but i'm not sure I wanna know what just yet.

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2002, 08:14:30 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Hehe Wilbuz. Over the week-end was an example, capturing 31, then hitting cities, HQ, then capping HQ to prevent goons from coming.  Dog fites all over that area...laz would have had a good time.

Thats how I see it too.....strat raids CAUSE dogfights, but instead of fighting  just because you want to, you are fighting to prevent the other bloke  getting something he wants :)
mebbe I'm just a mean salamander, but to me thats a bonus....adds to the atmosphere.

Blue

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2002, 08:25:22 PM »
Well Laz, I'll be on your side.  

Too much organization in the MA!!  Decrease Organization Now!

Well that's about enough for me.

Nighty Nite!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Löwe

• Silver Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/duxfordeagles
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2002, 08:44:18 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime

I think he's a heluva pilot to in that hawg, too.

Yep Hang I agree, I got a kill on him a couple weeks ago, boy was that a mistake. For the next hour I was haunted by a Corsair, and a constant text messge saying "Lazs shot you down"
. Good thing I finnally went to bed, or else he would have scored enough points on me to buy AH. :p
I admire his skill, and his sand, but I don't like the constant bashing of the CT, and all who fly to a different drummer.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2002, 02:47:17 AM »
Lazs,

Everything you desire from AH already exists... it is called DUELLING ARENA !!!!!

Why dont you ask all who like to fly like you to go there with you. You would have great time there!

AH crowd is so large already that it can be divided into 2 big arenas. MA has become a middleground that has some strategic aspects and some furball aspects. I propose that MA will be discontinued and its appropriate aspects will be transfered to CT and DA.

Then everyone can decide what kind of fun they want to have this time when they log to AH.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34