Author Topic: New Terrain Crashes  (Read 293 times)

Offline OLtos

• Zinc Member
New Terrain Crashes
« on: January 17, 2002, 07:50:36 AM »
:confused:

I am trying to learn how to use the Terrain Editor.  I created a small terrain (64X64 miles), added some islands, played a little bit with rock, water and forest textures.  I added one airfield group shape, (I tried several but only added them one at a time and never had more than one on the map at once).  I built the critter and followed the help instructions on how to load it up in the game.

But the game boots me out to the desktop when try to fly around the terrain to check it out.  The longest I have been able to stay in the game on this terrain I have made is only about 40 seconds.

What is going on?

Offline Broes

• Copper Member
New Terrain Crashes
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2002, 09:42:43 AM »
Had the same also once. Before you add any object, first kill the maproom field 1 which is automaticly placed with a new map. Then try to only use object groups LRGFLD, MEDFLD and SMLLFLD (or those that look most like it, cant check the exact name from my work).

Before you compile the map into a .RES file, check the map for bugs using the OBJECTS tab in the right side screen and it will check missing fields, missing map rooms, etc. This usualy fixes Crashes. Also make sure all fields are numbered starting with 1 and don't skip numbers.

Grtz,

Broes

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
New Terrain Crashes
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2002, 04:18:11 PM »
Hello OLtos

Welcome to the world of the Terrain builder. :)

There could be a couple of reasons for your problems.

1) Missing required objects ( Towers, maproom etc )

Do what Broes said

Before you compile the map into a .RES file, check the map for bugs using the OBJECTS tab in the right side screen and it will check missing fields, missing map rooms, etc. This usualy fixes Crashes. Also make sure all fields are numbered starting with 1 and don't skip numbers

2) Build Terrain didn't make the .res file properly. ( That's why I exit the program and then run it again before building the terrain.)

Run the Editor again and Build another.

Or you could send the .oba file to me if you want to, at tscott@accesswave.ca that's if you continue to have problems.  
Usually its with this file that the problems occur.

Good Luck

P.S  You are not alone, there are lots of people here who will try to help you.

Pokie

Offline Aurelius

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com  http://www.aurelius.8m.net/aceshigh
New Terrain Crashes
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2002, 04:37:09 PM »
Some ojects in there will cause it to crash and pokie is correct to...

Offline OLtos

• Zinc Member
Terrain Crashes
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2002, 09:37:55 PM »
:D

HAHAAAAAAAAA I GOT IT!  None of the above would have helped me.  BUT!  I will keep all of your suggestions in mind if I run into those problems later.

My problem?  SOLVED! Whoda THUNK IT!  Windows programs needing to have DOS file nameing conventions.  Changed all my file names to the 8.3 DOS format and everything is just fine now, as far as using my little terrain is concerned.

Thank you all very much for the responses!

OLtos

PS I am getting ready to post another question about creating an airfield.