Author Topic: Well, WWIIO is still doomed  (Read 739 times)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Well, WWIIO is still doomed
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2002, 09:10:24 AM »
I could never get past the disappearing plane and other performance issues to even pay attention to the strat model and any exploits associated with it.  I'm only interested in flying and the combat that comes with it.  What I get on my machine with WWIIOL is not worth paying for, IMO.  

That in no way says the game isn't worth it for anyone else, by the way.  :p
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2002, 09:20:32 AM »
I hope they can struggle on and develop the game to the point where it is viable. It's got potential from what I saw.

Cornered Rat could learn a thing or two from Hitech Creations about keeping their eye on the ball...
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2002, 10:09:19 AM »
Hell I've caught several of the so called great pilots cheating( a p38 pilot comes to mind)

Mighty1

What the hell is this?   Do you have proof?

The comment about the p38 pretty much tells us who you are speaking of, so again do you have documentation to back up your slander?

F.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2002, 12:06:09 PM »
http://www.theofficersclub.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000673.html

Kieran and Datter (link above) seem to have expressed it very well; the state of affairs for WW2O.  I'm barely look warm to even trying it out online again when the free test comes along (if it does at all)

(I like Datters "OC" as it usually has MUCH less fan boi bull. Datter expects and gets a certain level of social decorum that the WW2O boards have never really tried for. Bet that's one reason Dragon left)

Well, I  persued thier boards this a.m. to see if I could catch a glimpse of news regarding the public, open test. Nada.  But it's very apparant that not many people coming back for the trial are impressed with what has been changed let alone WW2O expected progress.  And the "community" there is back to the old 'let the door hit you in the bellybutton on your way out troll!"

Playnet/CRS and it's small group of nepotistic fan boi's are simply reaping what they sowed, imo.

So much potential yet so much wrong.  

Westy

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2002, 12:51:44 PM »
And the "community" there is back to the old 'let the door hit you in the bellybutton on your way out troll!"

Djust like here then!!!
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2002, 01:08:59 PM »
Is it just me or is this game no fun whatsoever?

I got online last night and found I couldn't fly a 109, or drive a tank. Perhaps my rank is too low? I guess that's it. At any rate I spawned as a German soldier and picked a base close to some action as shown by an 'explosion' square icon on the map. Great methinks... I'll see some version 1.51 action and find out if this game has improved some the closed beta days.

On spawning I look around and despite my proximity to the 'explosion' icon not only find no action of any sort, but I find no people as well. Nothing, absolutely no one for as far as the eye can see. So far, this is exactly like the closed beta I remember.

I figure the battle must be towards the nearest town which sure seemed closer than this on the map so, in the absence of any vehicles I start running. A comment that used to come to mind back during beta was that this is, essentially, a running simulation as that's what I seemed to always spend my time doing. So, I run... and run, and run and run. Eventually I decide to see if the unplanned autowalk feature still works, and it does (hold down W then hit enter). So now autowalking to town I turn away and worked on a model of a B24 Liberator I have been tinkering with for a bit. More memories of the closed beta, in fact that's why I bought the model in the first place.

After a long time of walking, and seeing no one I CTD'd. Great. That's enough infantry 'action' for me so now I spawn at an airfield in a 110 (no 109 available, so a 110 for me). I take off and find the frame rate has improved greatly. I'm getting 25 to 30 or so and things are going well. I fly along and look at the landscape, which looks a hell of a lot better as well. After a long while of flying I come across some good guys and despite my tremendous urge to shoot something and strafe them I don't and just fly low over everyone. I notice them blinking in and out under the terrain as I pass... a problem that has always been present in this game for me since beta.

After another looooong time of flying I find a bad guy. A BAD GUY! WOOHOO! It's a boat of some kind which I proceed to strafe the hell out of over and over to no effect. I figure my bullets are no match for his armor but he's the only guy around and I'm bored so a-strafing I shall go. After about 5 passes I die. Not sure what happened as the screen just went black, but when I exited the AC I found my wingtip had touched a nearby flag pole apparently killing me for some reason.

That was it for me, I logged off and quit for the night. All in all this wasn't a helluva lot of fun and things haven't changed at all since beta as far as that goes it seems.

I *know* I'm missing something, I have to be.

datter

This is exactly how it is most of the time I enter the game. Even the missions I select seem to be at some remote corner of the world whee no ones around.

I've kept my paid sub since it went pay to play guess I'm a sucker..........

Every once in a while I'll run into an old friend and we''ll mess around abit.

I've only completed 7 missions or so out of about 100 because I'm so bored I log before time is up.

I get 30-40 fps in the air however whenever I'm in combat the guy I'm trying to kill warps and blinks.

I keep hearing athe fan boi's tell me how good it is but evn the inf is weak. Tanking is ok because in a pnzr you actually have to manuvre and out flank the allied uber armor.

as fer the field guns they aren't my bag.

My squad there Lehrgeschwader 1 has all but abandoned the game. and we are a 110/stuka squadron.

The stuka is a better tnb ac then a tank buster. Its dors alright on fbs.........

Maybe I just dont get it............

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2002, 02:02:53 PM »
I had fun in whatever I flew. I didn't mind the long flights to get to the mission objective. I didn't mind not seeing a great deal of action. I didn't mind the comparative performances of the planes.

Somehow, knowing a gameplay concession is responsible for the taking of the British Isles is so jarring as to make it senseless to me to pursue a "realistic" game. I am not nationality specific, and play both sides- it isn't that. It is endemic and indicates the flawed nature of their game design and rules. The other irritants- wall clipping, domino capping, etc. and the lack of any control or restraint on the behavior- add to my distate.

Flying is fun in WWIIO, but it cannot be separated from the rest of the game as it can here in AH or WB's, so the comparison is moot.

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2002, 02:15:48 PM »
Furious what proof do you need? Video? Witnesses? I have both but have decided it's not worth the trouble. How many people have been banned for hacking?  You can probably count them on 1 hand. All that happens is people attack the person who complains.

If you will notice I never mentioned names and I don't plan on naming any.

You can get all defensive if you want but it still does not change the fact that there ARE hacks in this game. Always have been always will be.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2002, 02:25:08 PM »
"Just like here then!!!"

Big difference imo. While obvious trolls and people who have a valid complaint, but they bury it in a five pound post filled with ten pounds of toejam slinging, get the 'see ya' posts here at AH literally ALL players who make serious comments on the MANY serious product defects in WW2O get raped over the coals by the fan boi's there. This goes for the forumn moderators, in-game managers (GHC/AHC players) to CRS themselves.

Westy

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2002, 03:44:55 PM »
Originally posted by Mighty1
Yes there are cheaters and hacks in AH but they don't effect the game like they do in WWIIO. Hell I've caught several of the so called great pilots cheating( a p38 pilot comes to mind) but once you know who they are you can normally avoid them.

Aim bot ? or No cockpit ? or No blackout ?

We played with a nice guy in CFS1 that loved to win . He was the highest ranking player , to bad it didn't carry over to any other flight sim :D

His was mostly the "follow me" cheat

Still in all , I like him , he was fun to play with most times , lmao at the thought .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2002, 04:01:32 PM »
Furious what proof do you need? Video? Witnesses? I have both but have decided it's not worth the trouble

Either, both, whatever.

If you can prove it, I'll howl right along with you.  But, if you can't or won't you should keep it to yourself.

F.

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2002, 04:51:01 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
Hmm Kieren all I said is "Whine is recorded" and now you see pompoms on my hands ?
IMO there's lots of  things which needs more attention from CRS than situation you described.

Sure, they could begin to work seriously on FM issues.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2002, 05:38:31 PM »
I did not keep it to myself because it was to keep on topic and prove a point.

I don't HAVE to prove it to you or anyone just so I can mention it happens.

There have been a lot of witnesses to the cheaters but most are like me and live with it instead of making a big stink.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2002, 07:04:45 PM »
mighty seems to me you all but called out his name. with the implication you made theres folks that could read this and come away thinkin the few good 38 pilots or the 1 really good 1 is a cheat.

several of the so called great pilots cheating( a p38 pilot comes to mind) but once you know who they are you can normally avoid them.

you brought it up.....you implied a specific individual(s).

I can count the very few good 38 pilots on 1 hand.

It would have been best just not to imply anything but you have atleast bring what proof you have.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
I'd let it die.
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2002, 07:17:36 PM »
At best half will believe, half won't, and both will fight. I prefer to believe the guy I'm fighting is not cheating unless I have reason to believe otherwise. That does not mean I think cheating doesn't happen here- it certainly must. People are not blatant about it (at least, not since the endless bomb P-51 and the troop carrying B-26), but with a user base this size it is safe to assume some do find and use cheats.

Thankfully this community wouldn't condone a cheat that was brazen enough to expose himself/herself, and HTC action would be swift. Sadly, that isn't true in other games.