Author Topic: How important are strategic targets?  (Read 155 times)

Offline touchy

• Zinc Member
How important are strategic targets?
« on: January 28, 2002, 11:59:52 AM »
Just wondering if anyone could tell me how important knocking out strategic targets is to general gameplay. What are effects of knocking city or factory out? Does knocking factory or city down to 75% have any effect?

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2002, 12:16:27 PM »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2002, 12:19:20 PM »
Different targets knock down different things. Take down an Ack Factory, the acks on fields and other target will take alot longer to rebuild.

Knock down the HQ and Radar will go away, knock it down some % and you will loose Dot radar etc.

Go to Hitechcreations main page, push HELP then GETTING STARTED. Under GAME PLAY you will find Strategic targets and all you need :)

Ask if you need more help.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2002, 12:24:12 PM »
Ok, here's a run down, then and now:

Pranging the city adds to the rebuild time of the HQ and factories.
City totally down (shows 0% in status page) makes rebuild on factories and HQ 2hours.

Pranging the factories adds to the rebuild time of that particular supply at the fields.
Any fuel tanks at fields destroyed while the refinery is at 0% take 2hrs to come back.  Holds true for all supplies:
fuel tanks - fuel refinery
barracks - troop training grounds
ammo bunkers - ammo factories
radar dish - radar factory
AA guns - flak factory

With a well orgnized group of 20 to 30 pilots you could almost literally ground a country.  Wipe out the cities, then the factories, then the field supplies.  All that country can launch with is 25% fuel, no troops, no bombs/rockets for 2hrs.

Now this is pre-1.08 strat.

1.08 added supply trains and convoys to resupply areas.  This means taking the depots to stop the convoys (can the trains be stopped other than attacking the trains?).

Supplies can also be flown/trucked in with the C47/M3.

The ability for players to resupply targets nearly negates the usefulness of hitting the strat targets, save hitting them for scoring purposes.  To wage a "strategic war" in the MA (something the MA wasn't designed for) your first move would have to be stopping player resupply of targets.  Means city-factory-barracks at fields.  While you're doing that there are 5+ supply trucks/planes inbound to the cities before you can get to the factories, negating the strike.

Now that's written a book (and sit wondering why :D ), the short answer to your question is:

Strat targets aren't worth much anymore, other than raising your buff/attack scores (and vehicle if ya want to drive to a strat target).

One night our cities were at 0% and our HQ was taken down.  20-25min we had full HQ/radar restored by 2 M3s and 1goon delivering supplies to the HQ.  Cities were still at 0%.  5-7min flight for the gooney bird. 3-4min drive for the trucks.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2002, 12:26:33 PM »
Right on the money Cave.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2002, 12:29:32 PM »
touchy for more reading on the strat you can go to the website as wilbus suggested, or go to the help/training boards and search for posts about strat I have made, using this handle and 214CaveJ (my handle during the beta).

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2002, 12:31:15 PM »
Somehow it seems odd that you can apparently re-supply destroyed buildings.

J_A_B

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2002, 01:19:24 PM »
One of the points not explained well by the HTC website is the fact that arrival of a convoy or train completely rebuilds (except for guns and town building) the field or strategic facility (factories/refineries/etc.) that is its destination.  Also, I don't believe all the "Destroy with" figures in the table are accurate as of this time.  Two 1,000 lb bombs is sufficient to sink a CV or cruiser, not 8.  Likewise, two 1,000 lb'ers seem to be quite sufficient to down a hanger, rather than the 3 K the table specifies.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2002, 02:08:09 PM »
Yup, forgot to say what Cave said, he said it better then I would anyway though :)

With the new start system hitting anything but airfields and veichle fields and ports is more or less a waste of time. I remeber the nicely planned HQ strikes before 1.08, take 10+ B17's or Lancs, fly 100 miles climbing to 20k+ and take down the enemy HQ, dropping the rest on a City thus keeping the Radar down for 2 hour or so. Quite often pissed people off too wich made it so much more fun.

Of course, I was usually on the defending side in a 109 or so :)

I think, that the ability to respuply HQ and such has completely taken away those long range fun buff raids, why spend 1 hour flying and attack a target, wich the enemy gets back in 10 or 15 minutes? Maybe even earlier if they launch goons as soon as they see the raid.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Tjay

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2002, 02:10:12 PM »
Caveman,
I'm sure a lot of people are glad you DID take the time. I'm one.
An associated question: I can find trains (on the railtracks:rolleyes: ) but am damned if I can find any roads or convoys.
Advice appreciated.

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2002, 02:41:43 PM »
Tjay you're welcome, glad it helped ya.

I went and searched for some of the old "strat books" I posted way back when so I could punt them for all the newcomers to read.  Apparently they either didna survive the board conversion or they got round filed at some point in time :(

Maybe Lephturn or someone still has some of the info on thier websites