Author Topic: WWIIOL for $10??  (Read 963 times)

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2002, 08:59:44 PM »
Well, lately it's been 2100-2200 max, with 1000 or so minimum. Pre-1.52, it was usually 1600 peak. Apparently they released the game in Australia this week or something, and the 1.52 infantry predictor improvements have made infantry somewhat more enjoyable than stabbing yourself in the eye with a fork. Infantry sort of works now.

There's game-imposed limits on certain vehicles to keep some sense of balance. The "better" equipment is in rare supply; you need to take a mission to have a better chance of getting it, or earn rank. But that still doesn't guarantee you one. It's really not that bad a system; just means you won't always be able to get a hot ride from a close base. And yes, sometimes you may not get a hot ride at all, but there's always a vehicle of type. For planes, that means the Hawk 75 or the Hurri on Allies, and the 110 on Axis.

With 1.52, there seems to be a LOT more infantry. Before, it was maybe 2:1 armor:infantry ratio on attack. Now it's a lot more common to see the ration reversed. On defense, infantry is a lot more prevalent. Certainly makes the battles more interesting.

As far as air, there's usually a few planes flying around each hotspot. Bombers are pretty important in the game, and vulching a truck can ruin a nicely planned offense. With the fields separated so much, there's hardly EVER any vulching from planes, but if the field is near a front, you can expect a tank vulching planes, which is annoying.  This often means flying a decent distance to find a hot spot, which isn't too bad.

As far as the arena atmosphere ... well, it's ... different. A lot more people = a lot more a'holes. There's also some good people in there if you tune out the morons.

Oh, you can keep track of the server numbers here:

http://www.haukmoor.org/~jasonb/ww2ol/capacity/

Pretty interesting stats.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2002, 09:36:53 PM »
Anyone who pays for WWIIOnline is getting ripped off at this point, there most definitely is a free download from CRS.  

I tried it offline, it wasn't as bad as I had expected.  I liked the view system, some of the graphics and sounds.  FM needs more E bleed.  

It still has enough small bugs to make it aggravating to mess with even offline, but I can see why some people like it.

It seems like if CRS had had one more year to develop it prior to release, it could have been a contender.

I think CRS should change their business direction a bit by introducing small, separate Quake arenas for air and land furballs.  They could call them 'practice' arenas, but they would just be for furballing/quaking.  People could furball mindlessly without having to deal with the whole meaningful mission concept if they weren't in the mood for it.  That way, there would be something for gamers to enjoy, as well as more serious simmers.  WB and AH have proven that 90% of the market for war sims is just furballers, and CRS has a product which could easily be modified to appeal to that crowd too.

ra

Offline mrsid2

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2002, 02:16:58 AM »
Last time I checked for the free download thingy there were 360 players online..

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
BTW, and WRT the "numbers" posted...
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2002, 08:05:32 AM »
There seems to be cause to dispute those game numbers, Staga. A lot of discussion on the boards these numbers may be "doctored".

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Re: BTW, and WRT the "numbers" posted...
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2002, 08:11:43 AM »
Originally posted by Kieran
There seems to be cause to dispute those game numbers, Staga. A lot of discussion on the boards these numbers may be "doctored".

Yep and some say in AH axis planes are porked... got my point?

Offline K West

• Silver Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2002, 08:22:51 AM »
$10 got me two AH cdroms. One to save for posterity and one to share.

I got the better deal ;)

Westy

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2002, 09:49:55 AM »

both are true??
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2002, 09:55:57 AM »
Dunno, you tell me :)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2002, 10:02:30 AM »

Nope, I guess I am a little thick...

Are you saying you believe AH Axis (face it, you mean "German") planes are porked?

Are you saying other people believe Axis planes are porked?

Are you saying people lie about the Axis planes being porked?

Are you saying you're lying about Axis (German) planes being porked?

Are you saying the numbers are misrepresented in WWIIO?

Are you saying people are lying about numbers being represented in WWIIO?

Are you doggedly against discussing the numbers you threw up there as gospel, when there is plenty of discussion on the WWIIO BBS suggesting the numbers are very wrong?

One of us needs to recognize his bias. I know I am biased towards AH, so that leaves...

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2002, 10:28:17 AM »
I have heard there's quite good medicines these days for schitsophrenia ;)

FYI I play AH almost every day but wwiiol only maybe once or twice a week. My point was throwing accuses like that without any proofs is just... well... stupid. Just my opinion of course :)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2002, 10:37:09 AM »
And my point is if you are going to throw server numbers out there as if they are true, you should at least consider the ample evidence generated on the home bbs they may be false.

I don't care if you play both, so do I. If you are trying to paint my viewpoint as one-sided you should consider you have been decidedly and equally so- for the opposing viewpoint, of course.

I'm not a bit surprised you know all about medicine for schizophrenia. ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2002, 10:45:13 AM by Kieran »

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2002, 10:50:38 AM »
Well, I highly doubt the numbers are "cooked". That's certainly putting a sinister cast on things.

I have raised concerns that there may be discrepancies. At one point there was an issue with the counter not "releasing" folks who were lost under certain conditions, and if anything, I think something like that would be the case. But overall, the peak US times have been slowly rising at what I consider fairly normal rates for a renewed interest in the infantry aspect. I don't have much reason to believe those are drastically off.

My main concern was the huge jump in traditional US off-peak times. But it's apparently true that the game hit shelves in Australia. Several folks have reported finding it there, and that the game has gotten a lot of interest down under. so that would explain the jump in off-peak US times.

It's tough to tell with such a huge map. But the one way to tell the servers were under load has always been lag in map screen updates and overall. The "GO" button problem many report is simply lag, and is usually seen the most under really high traffic times. There has been a spike in these such reports to go along with the spiked user numbers, which seems to be some ammo for legitimate renewed interest.

So, YMMV, but I highly doubt there's any intentional "cooking" of numbers going on.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
I don't know one way or the other.
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2002, 11:44:06 AM »
I noticed how in a day or two span the numbers jumped from something like 1,600 peak to 2,200 or so. I didn't think too much of it at first.

Then the questions started arising on their BBS regarding those amounts. Some people suggested the numbers were not accurate, as equipment was too readily available for the numbers of people on, the number of people in contested areas seemed low in comparison the arena figure, etc. I know I have had little difficulty getting "limited" equipment.

Does that prove the numbers are wrong? No. It does however generate some questions- why did the numbers go up so quickly? Do the numbers accurately reflect who is currently on? Did the Australian release bring in that many? Perhaps, but a few of the Aussies seem to disagree.

I don't know if the numbers are real, a mistake, or doctored. I do know CRS has to show growth to stay alive, so it is at least plausible they may be purposely inaccurate. And, it isn't the first time they've been accused of toying with the numbers.

For the record, I am not stating one way or the other what is happening. Staga threw numbers out here, and I pointed out there is discussion on those numbers. That is correct.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
WWIIOL for $10??
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2002, 03:08:46 PM »
anyone fly the 110 or Ju87 there?  They said they tweaked the elevator authority on both the planes.  The Stuka looked like it was turning even tighter than before 1.52 to me though...  

I only tried it for one morning after 1.52 came out.  Either there was a bug in the Hurri damage model, or I had extremely bad luck, because out of 3 missions, I took a total of 2 hits on my aircraft.  In both cases they were mortal wounds to the pilot (the second being an outright instant death.)   I didn't play anymore after that, cuz the Pacific CT setup was up and running.  ;)  Anyways, out of all the other times I've flown in WWIIOL, I've taken three pilot hits at the absolute most.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
I flew a few Stuka sorties the other night.
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2002, 03:46:56 PM »
I was killed by ack 3 times, was jumped by a Hurri once (dropped my ord and turned and killed him), and had 4-5 other Hurri kills aside from that. I had no trouble keeping up with them under the circumstances.