Author Topic: Do you guys really want numbers?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
Do you guys really want numbers?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2002, 11:25:11 AM »
Originally posted by Pepe

No.

Not as an goal itself. I like CT atmosphere. I could care less if there are 100, 200+ people around. I'm having a blast there with as little as 10 guys. Of course the more, the better, but I just don't want to get it at the price of easy quasi-MA mode  :p  :D

Lazs, you have your fit in MA. Please, ask there to eliminate buffs, to have indestructable fields, extend radar range, whatever you like, do it. But do it where it belongs, not in CT.

I am not a representative of any of CT players, but myself. And my personal experience there has been great. The average skill is superior to MA. The average behaviour is better than MA. I'm not saying it's perfect but, at least for me, is much better than MA.

You guys that feel at home with MA settings have MA for you all. The ones that feel different about that, now have an alternative.

Btw, the more I read this thread, the more I think Ripsnort has it right ;)

Cheers,

Pepe

Pepe,

Been awhile since you've been in the MA I guess. The average skill is superior to MA? Right here is the primary reason I don't fly in the CT, that along with low numbers. I abhor elitism and I get bored easily.

To counter your point. Where are the Blue Knights, The (Original) Flying Tigers, The MOL, The Arabian Knights? Members of these squads could hold thier own against anyone in any arena. Superior? Hogwash.

Note: Although some members of the aforementioned squads may fly the CT, the majority do not I would venture. At least most of em are in the MA when I'm there anyway, lol.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2002, 01:32:32 PM »
The skill level of the pilots is the same in both arenas.  However, due to the fact of smaller numbers in the CT, you find more fights of a 1v1 or a 2v2 nature.  I don't know about you, but I find winging with daddog and fighting against ammo and hblair a much more challenging prospect than fighting in one of those huge furs that occur in the MA.   In the low alt MA fur, it's not about ACM as much as it is extreme SA (gotta keep track of the 1 to 6 planes that are latched onto your 6) and relying on great gunnery (if you can kill fast in a fur, you'll live longer).  I'm not saying there's not SKILL involved in either, or the level of skill of the pilots in either is different.  You'll find fantastic sticks in both environments.

With me, it has nothing to do with the so called "elitism" label some people like to use with such a wide brush.  It has everything to do with preference.  I've flown both.  I prefer a smaller engagement versus historical opponents more often than not.  I prefer not flying in 3:1 or greater ratios (either way);  I don't enjoy being ganged by 3 (usually much more) and I don't enjoy having to pick through 4 friendlies to get a kill.    Based on my preferences, it's obvious that the CT has more enjoyment potential for me than the MA.  So if flying where I have more fun makes me an elitist, oh well, I'm an enjoyment elitist.  There, that even has some assonance for the little label!  (ooo, alliteration too!)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2002, 01:55:29 PM »
Originally posted by Nifty
With me, it has nothing to do with the so called "elitism" label some people like to use with such a wide brush.

Elitism is a bad thing?

Really?

(walks away, scratching head)

- oldman

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2002, 02:06:50 PM »
Originally posted by Nifty
The skill level of the pilots is the same in both arenas.  However, due to the fact of smaller numbers in the CT, you find more fights of a 1v1 or a 2v2 nature.  I don't know about you, but I find winging with daddog and fighting against ammo and hblair a much more challenging prospect than fighting in one of those huge furs that occur in the MA.   In the low alt MA fur, it's not about ACM as much as it is extreme SA (gotta keep track of the 1 to 6 planes that are latched onto your 6) and relying on great gunnery (if you can kill fast in a fur, you'll live longer).  I'm not saying there's not SKILL involved in either, or the level of skill of the pilots in either is different.  You'll find fantastic sticks in both environments.

With me, it has nothing to do with the so called "elitism" label some people like to use with such a wide brush.  It has everything to do with preference.  I've flown both.  I prefer a smaller engagement versus historical opponents more often than not.  I prefer not flying in 3:1 or greater ratios (either way);  I don't enjoy being ganged by 3 (usually much more) and I don't enjoy having to pick through 4 friendlies to get a kill.    Based on my preferences, it's obvious that the CT has more enjoyment potential for me than the MA.  So if flying where I have more fun makes me an elitist, oh well, I'm an enjoyment elitist.  There, that even has some assonance for the little label!  (ooo, alliteration too!)

Good post Nifty.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2002, 02:47:32 PM »
thanks apache.  I just don't want the attitude of the pilots in the CT to keep you (or anyone else) out.  If you prefer the big MA furs over the smaller CT fights, that's fine with me, you pay $15/month, fly where you enjoy it the most.  :)   I also didn't wanna be painted with that big ol' elitist brush anymore than you wanna be painted with the quake-fest brush since you fly the MA.  :D
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2002, 07:05:15 PM »
I am not an elitest. I am just a sim addict:)  I like 99% of the people that have posted in this thread.  I also enjoy the MA immensly (see statement nuimber 1).

That said, I hope any idea proposed and piut forth for the AH community succeeds if it has merit. I think the CT has merit. The MA is proven, no need to defend it.

I guess I like the CT for the much toned down text buffer. Seems like you dont have to filter out alot of stuff to see a .  The quality and type of sim combat  I experience in there is alot of fun abd a refreshing change, different than the MA but not better to me. Just an inviting change.  Nifty;s reasons, I mirror thoise thoughts as well.

But anywho, I hope to see the CT succeed.  Laz, whether you fly in the CT or not, you would be welcome by me anyway. You are a worthy opponent and alot of fun to be in a furball with.

V/R
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2002, 08:19:50 AM »
ammo.. my suggestion was not made to "harm" the ct.   It was meant to point out the obvious and time/sim proven problem of 2 arenas and lack of numbers in one of em.  

I think that the ct is a poor excuse for an arena but that is simply a matter of taste.   I would love an early war arena but realize that it would have as much chance of success as the ct does.... allmost zero with current ideas.   I am going by simming historical trends here...

If there were a way to seamlessley combine alternate (and less popular) arenas so that they could more easily draw from the larger crowd then it would help ALL specialty arenas.   That is the "motive" that some have been searching for in my post.   Some real knee jerk types with bigger sigs than brains will have trouble with that but that's it.

Or... you could just shut down the MA for a month and then when it reopened it, it would be deserted instead of the CT.  Course... then HTC would have only one viable arena still but it would have half or less players in it just like when that other sim did it.   They still haven't recovered from their "allied vs axis all 109/190 all the time" arena.
lazs

Offline Corwin

• Copper Member
Quantity vs. Quality
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2002, 08:32:24 AM »
My two cents are that I fly the CT because it isn't what the MA has become.  I like being able to climb to alt and set up my engagements.  If it takes a little while to get there, that's cool. I like the plane match ups.  Once engaged I like the fact that it will probably stay a question of skill as to who emerges victorious not the result of huge numbers of guys diving in when they see the match up on DAR.  All of this is hard to find in the MA these days.

I can't help but comment that the lack of streaming profanity in the text buffer is also a big plus IMHO.

If this is what is being offered...I, for one,  hope HT doesn't take your suggestion laz.