Author Topic: Advice For The New Pilot's  (Read 390 times)

Offline Sixter

• Zinc Member
Advice For The New Pilot's
« on: January 31, 2002, 12:01:19 PM »
Advice for the New AH Pilot's!! Start out flying the A6M5b Zero! Stick with this plane!! Learn how to fly it, the worst mistake that you can make is to start jumping from plane to plane!! No matter how many times you get shoot down, get back in the Zero and
have at it!! It may be slow, but nothing in the AH arena's can out turn it!! In the right hand's the Zero is as deadly as they come!!
Once you become efficient with the Zero then move up to another plane! Next read the AH message board's!! You will learn a lot of good info there!! Get a "GOOD" Joystick, one that has a twist rudder and a throttle!! A good starter Joystick is the Logitech Wingman Extreme, $40!! Stay away from the Force Feedback joystick's!! Also start off flying in the H2H Arena's!! When you
enter a H2H arena be polite!! Say Hi, watch and listen, be part of the group!! Don't make wave's!!! If your having problem's ask for
help!!:confused: Follow my suggestions, fly the Zero for at least a month!! You will be a better AH Pilot!!! :D

Sixter

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 12:24:17 PM »
Although the Zero may be a good starter plane for some folks, I would encourage folks to pick whatever plane they are most interested in.  Sure, some are "easier" to fly and learn to fight in than others, but what's most important is that you enjoy yourself.  If you've always been a fan of the the Hurricane, then by all means fly that one.  Also there are plenty of aircraft that are better "all around" planes that can be more suitable for learning.  If you don't have a favourite, I'd recommend something with good all around characteristics so that you can try out different fighting styles in a single plane.  Something like a Spit IX is normally a good choice.  A plane like the Zero will limit your options a bit since it is quite slow, so while it is great for learning the Turn 'N Burn style of fighting, it's not suitable to trying Boom 'N Zoom fighting.  Above all, make sure you are having a good time.  The rest will come with practice. :)

It is better to stick to one model for a while when you are learning at first.  Once you become reasonably proficient in the use of one model, you should try out all kinds of others to see what you like.  Another good idea is to come to this message boards and ask for suggestions based on your interests and the flying style you like.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2002, 02:35:12 PM »
hehe, I tried to start out in the D Hog...  ooo, those were some rough sorties!  ;)  tho I did get an La7 kill right off the bat.  he musta been a newbie too.

Anyways, I concur with Leph.  Pick what you have an interest in.  Then find someone that knows that plane and is willing to help you out.  (e.g. if you love the Mustang, try and see if a 13th TAS or Braunco Mustang member will take you under his wing.)

Personally, I love the USN/USMC planes from a historic standpoint.  However, I'm a turn and burner at heart, so I'm most comfortable in Spits and Hurris (and I like the Zeke as well, tho hate it's guns!)
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2002, 04:56:47 PM »
I would advise staying away from the Logitech wingman,have 3 friend's with them,and they all have Major spiking/do not move your controls so rapidly problems,i hate to reccomend MS but my sidewinder is 3 yrs old and performing well,tho it's a bit creaky :)
PS Anyone tried the thrustmaster stick with the detachable throttle section?
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline rounder

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2002, 05:13:46 PM »
A helpful hint for new pilots and AW refugees, netaces.org has an excellent self help section. There are a few intro screens that you have to click through but the site has excellent info for new pilots and even some interesting info for the vets. Take a look.

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2002, 06:17:19 PM »
My advice for new pilots:

Struggling only makes it hurt more.  :)

Offline Sixter

• Zinc Member
Thank's Lephturn
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2002, 11:25:19 PM »
Thank's for your thought's on helping the new player's!!
Very prompt!! Hey! I e-mailed you about a month back!
I requested some help on where to find details about
the Arena Setting's!! Not to prompt on that one!!;)

Sixter:D