Author Topic: I think US customs uses the P-38!  (Read 167 times)

Offline BigCrate

• Copper Member
I think US customs uses the P-38!
« on: February 01, 2002, 11:49:34 PM »
I was looking thru some P-38 stuff onthe web. I came across a website. That lists all the P-38s that still exist. I find at the very bottom of the page 3 P-38s under the US customs!
it give tail numbers and FAA N numbers.. and seeing how i can't fly fly until next week. :( I logged on the FAA website and looked around for something to search these US custom numbers.. And I did I searched the 1st N number and it was a P-3B Oriron(can't spell if my lif depended on it :).  And I thought to myself well these people must have reseqched the wrong plane.. But I thried the 2nd number and low and behold it was a P-38.
here is some info on the 2nd N number of the 3 P-38s listed

Certificate Issue Date 07/19/1990
Status Valid
Type Engine Turbo-Prop

I doesn't say what the MFR Year is and it list the 38 as a turbo prop aircraft is strange to.. So I don't know if they really do or not.
and the US customs service listed the plane under AIR & MARINE INTERDICTION DIV . And it is the same for the 3rd P-38 listed under the US customs Service.. So if anyone knows anything abou this please tell me. I'm interested to see if hte Custom service uses 2 P-38s for INTERDICTION missions.. Woul be cool if they did.. The P-38 would fit that role well I think.

CW

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2002, 11:57:13 PM »
??

URLs please? This is odd.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2002, 11:57:35 PM »
Hehe that would be cool, but I doubt it.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2002, 11:58:32 PM »
Are you sure they're not all P-3 Bs (orion maritime patrol aircraft)? Probably a typo :)

Charon

Offline BigCrate

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2002, 12:04:00 AM »
http://www.elmendorf.af.mil/News/PLS/P-38list.htm
Theres the link.. The serial numbers are he same for the p3 and he  38s. probly is a typo but would be badass to use 38s like that.
heheheheh

Cw

Offline BigCrate

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2002, 12:05:41 AM »
NASA also lists a P-38 with a odd serial number.. doesn't match up to the other P-38s on the list.

Cw

Offline Jack55

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2002, 04:58:55 PM »
That turbo-laser could be handy for shooting-up dope smugglers.  Customs pilots would look pretty cool buzzing boaters off San Diego or on  lake Ontario.  With a new radar set it could almost be plausible.

Offline scooby

• Copper Member
hmmmm
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2002, 05:08:48 PM »
am i like the only person in the world that cant log into any USAF servers??......every .af.mil site doesnt work for me..........i dont knwo why.....

any explanations..??

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Re: hmmmm
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2002, 05:44:26 PM »
Originally posted by scooby
am i like the only person in the world that cant log into any USAF servers??......every .af.mil site doesnt work for me..........i dont knwo why.....

any explanations..??

Could be you or it could be Information Security in practice.  I know USCENTCOM shut down access to thier public website....wouldn't doubt everyone else did too.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline scooby

• Copper Member
well...
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2002, 05:53:32 PM »
i got ppl i kno to test it and everyone else can get it as long as they dont live in my city, so it seems like just my cities Cable server has it blocked or something................
very annoying though....:mad: