Author Topic: You can lead a horse to water.......  (Read 973 times)

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
You can lead a horse to water.......
« on: February 02, 2002, 09:48:23 PM »
...but ya can't make him drink!  ;)

Logged in twice tonight, went bish cause the nits had the outnumbered 2:1 the first time.
Nice fights, all kinds of planes involved.  Had to log when company came over.
Logged in, upped from A4, now all I saw were Spits.  And I am not exaggerating..........saw EIGHT of them chasing Cerberos.
While only an hour earlier I had seen a couple La5's, a Jug, and a Typhoon, I finally decided to log before I got pissed.
I can see the appeal of the Spits, heck even I can run up a big streak in one.  The Spit5 is pretty much stallproof, you can just hold the stick back and roll and twist to your hearts content.
I'm not one who usually flies Axis planes, I prefer the Allied iron.  And being on the other side of the fence tonight, I can see what irritates LW pilots, when the birds they fly are, to me, tougher to make equivalent maneuvers in, compared to the Spits.  Lazs would have been proud, nothing but a perpetual furrball going on between A3 and A4, with the Axis in 109's, 190's, 205's, Tony's, etc., and the Allies in...........Spits......lol!
Oh well, I'll log back in here in an hour or so.  Just kinda let down.  Maybe Sabre ought to implement the "perk per use" system, see if some of the guys realize there are other planes available.  ;)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2002, 11:02:08 PM »
too bad u missed the =Twin Engined Devils= sweeping S of A5. 3 of us vs 5 guys in 109's.. we got like 18 of them (reupping and engaging co-alt.. damn 109s climb fffasstt) and lost 4 of our 38's.

But I agree with ye on the spitfest. Cycling through icons settings did show 85% of allied planes..being spits.

Saw some chaps in Hurricanes.. wow, they furballed on the deck for while, I think they got 1 or 2 109's and then got murdered when a Ki61 turned with them lol.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2002, 11:49:31 PM »
Lol, that is an apt description... I saw pretty much the same thing.  About 95% of the planes I saw were Spits.  I saw 1 Mossie, 3-4 P-47s, 2-3 P-51Bs (including one that was just a fantastic shot), and all the rest were Spits.  

I think people will probably get sick of them after a bit- after all, the Axis side doesn't have Spits.  So not to many people on the Axis side will be TnB'ing, which is what a Spit does best.  I think that most folks will get tired of the "wussies" on the Axis side running away from them, and move to a faster plane.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2002, 12:43:04 AM »
I agree with urchin

once the new setup settles in axis will stop mixin it up so much with them spits. Allies will need faster planes.

I did notice the milkrunnin picked up right where it left off........

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2002, 02:11:36 AM »
Granted the a6m is limited to carrier duty, but the ki-61 and a6m5b will easily outspit the spitIX and spitV (seafire).  And then there's the 109f/g2, and the 202/205...

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2002, 03:38:57 AM »
SPITS HAPPEN!

it usually starts out mixed, then after a few sorties everyone is in a spit.

its the plane of last resort.

F.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2002, 07:07:59 AM »
Started off peeved as hell as the F6F-5 is only avaliable from CV's and of course they were nowhere near any fighting.
Grabbed a Spit5 to try and get some perkies for something more interesting, had a good fight low with a KI striped him down the middle 4 times with no effect before going down when his help arrived. My discontent was showing on CH1 at this point :)
Btw his lack of death was my fault checked converge and it was way out there  >>>>>>>>>.
Decided to try the P51B and had some great 1v1 fights v various people and models of 190's from 20k down to the deck, was pleasantly surprised at how competitive the 51B could be even when bounced in a negative E situation.
Great fun even had time to plan moves without the fear of being bounced by the MA horde before you can finish a fight.
Was approx 50 online in CT when i left, not bad at all and the connection was totally flat line in netstat whereas in MA its never that good.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2002, 07:23:39 AM »
 That was me Cav, in the Ki......heckuva fight, and no, I didn't call for help.  ;)
I was in it til the end, win or lose, the others came in unbidden.  Twas a shame too, you and that SpitV were hard to get a solution on......I'd  have you in my sights, then not fire, thinking I could get a better shot.  I heard you ping me (sounded like the .303's) but no damage done.  That was one of those fights where the first one to make a bad mistake was gonna lose.....at least it should have been that way.  :(
Like I said, the appeal of hopping in a Spit, especially when there is a large furrball happening right offshore on the deck is almost irresistible.  I can relate to the guys doing that, but for me personally, after getting a few kills, I get........BORED(!!!) doing that....as the challenge is low, but you mileage may vary.  :p

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2002, 08:00:15 AM »
You will rarely find me in a spit, it was a means to get perks to enable other aircraft.
Speed is life, oh wait a minute i fly the F6F-5  commonly thought of as a death trap in the MA :D

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2002, 10:40:17 AM »
I say.... so what?

Ok, I'm a Jug pilot, but still I have no problem with lots of Spits.  Hey, there SHOULD be lots of spits, it's the main rival of the 109 and 190's right?

At least in the CT, you don't fly Spits agains other Spits.... :)  That's the whole point.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2002, 02:12:39 PM »
I was on breifly last night.  I saw 4-5 Mossies, a P-51B, a couple of P-47s and a C-47.  Nary a Spit when I was on.  Lots of Mossies though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2002, 02:27:16 PM »
Allies should really refrain from using the Mossie.

It gives the axis a toejamload of perks. 25 eny 25 obj... wow. No wonder I see 3 to 4 me262's a night. Just shoot 7 or 8 mossies in the zeke and you're in a jet :)

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2002, 07:54:50 PM »
Originally posted by Lephturn
I say.... so what?

Ok, I'm a Jug pilot, but still I have no problem with lots of Spits.  Hey, there SHOULD be lots of spits, it's the main rival of the 109 and 190's right?

At least in the CT, you don't fly Spits agains other Spits.... :)  That's the whole point.

I always thought the BoB was mainly won with the Hurricane.  :D

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2002, 09:56:26 PM »
If you didn't want to fight Spits you shouldn't have chosen to fly for a country that is not allied with the UK.

If I fly a Hellcat, can I whine that not enough Axis are flying the Ki-61?

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2002, 12:16:08 AM »
I've got no problem fighting them. :)

Just relaying my observations.  A well flown yak, la5 or f6f worries me much more than a spit.

F.