Author Topic: The topic of points and what is fair  (Read 530 times)

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
The topic of points and what is fair
« on: February 03, 2002, 12:09:53 PM »
It is a dilemma that squads can rack up points above and beyond their objective.  It is impractical to tell them "not" to attack or drop on targets that are not in their objectives. At the same time it is "unfair" that a squad might extend and drop on another target to receive a few hundred more points that was not even listed on their objectives.

For now until we have this system up and running the "fair" way would be for squads just to drop on the targets they have been assigned.

When we have the new system up we will allow full credit/points for squads who destroy their assigned targets, but only a "fraction" if they drop on other targets.  At least that is the general game plan for now. :)

In the mean time I appreciate your honest game play in this matter.

Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2002, 02:33:48 PM »
I'm not sure I understand your point Daddog.

Firstly, I don't see where fairness comes into it; if the target's hit, it's hit.

Secondly, I thought th watch words for the TOD's was "immersion" and "reality". In real life, it was very rare for squads to turn down appropriate targets of oppertunity, and surely decorations, wither individual or unit, were presented for performance "above and beyond" the expected, not merely doing the job, which was expected of all?

What new system? Could you expound a bit please?

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2002, 02:57:40 PM »
what he is refering to is this.

Frame CO's currently  recieve a target list for the up and coming frame. Generally, it will be 3-4 targets. they also receive  the possible targets that were given to his/her opponent.  They are supposed to give orders to the squad CO's within the guidelines given to them by the event designer. If a squad decides to hit a target not on the list, then the opposing CO didnt prepare for it. The way it is designed, everyone gets a chance to see some action. When CO's go outside the guidelines then folks just fly around defending a target that will never be attacked.

The secondary problem is this, the CO's that attack targets not identified by the event designer have the potential to run up the points on the opposing team.

Thios has been an issuie for some time, but this past Fri night  the final score of that frame is what bringing scrutiny upon our system. The allies under my coimmand attacked the objectives they were supposed to. But the training facility the 56th FG attacked provided the allies with 600 points! It just has *many* objects to destroy, and compound that by the fact that the LW didnt defend it... well you see why the score was so lopsided. In addition a few eager allied pilots may have targeted a field that was not on the objective list.  This didnt have the same outcome as the training facility, but nonetheless is th issue at hand.

The CM team is reviewing the way we score events. Expect some big changes real soon.

V/R
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2002, 11:00:37 PM »
Thanks for the explanation, The part about endless cap flights "just in case" make sense.

It'll be interesting to see how you frame the rules without stifling initiative and innovation too much.