Author Topic: New TOD twist: "Flexible Fronts"  (Read 689 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
New TOD twist: "Flexible Fronts"
« on: February 05, 2002, 08:15:00 AM »

Flexible fronts would work as such:

Lets use for an example this map we're in now for TOD Friday.  Lets say that the first frame, LW hits A40, and A41 and A42, all of 40,41 is destroyed, flattened target.  A42 however is still standing, 90% destroyed.

Now the Allies hit A19, A20 and A21, but only A19 is totally destroyed, A20 and A21 are at 50% and 90% down respectively(not including AA).

A19 (destroyed) and A40 would "trump" each other, as well as A20(partially destroyed) and A42 (Partially destroyed) would also trump each other...but since LW completely destroyed one more field(A41) than the Allies base(21), the Axis "front" moves, they're awarded a new  base, a foot hold on the enemy front, A42 is a new LW base.  

Basically, tick for tack. If both sides completely destroy 3 fields, then no front moves, but if one country destroys completely 1 additional field more than the other, they're awarded a capture and the front moves.

The benefits are:
No "Repeats" of the same target unless that target is not 100% destroyed, or if it ends even, all targets are restored to 100% capacity.

Different area's of the map to fly and fight over...hitting the same fields in all 3 frames is alittle tedious.

Reward for going above and beyond, and not limited to points, but a flexible front from which the "Generals" can be creative with new tactics.

Food for thought, sounds confusing, but its really not.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2002, 09:15:27 AM »
It's a good idea Rip.  I think we can implement something along those lines as we get better at running TOD's.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2002, 09:38:45 AM »
Thanks Skernsk, it would be particularly cool in Pacific campaigns, such as the Allies being limited to CV's until they get a "foothold" on an island field.  You could add incentives such as once they got a foothold, then land-based planes could be available, limited.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2002, 09:58:33 AM »
We have to be careful about it as the set-up CM will have more work to do.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2002, 10:33:57 AM »
Rip!  Not to tip our hand too much about what's coming up, but this is something skernsk and I discussed briefly for the next TOD.  

starting from the CVs only is a good idea, and I'm sure we'll look into it in the future;  personally, however, I'd like some Allied land bases in the next Pacific TOD just for the variety.  Last Pac was Clearing the Philippines with only carrier based planes for the Allied forces for all three frames.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2002, 10:42:31 AM »
Originally posted by skernsk
We have to be careful about it as the set-up CM will have more work to do.

I've already thought about that aspect, the only thing you'd have to do is add a few more rear fields for availability in case the front moves.  

Thks Nifty, sounds neat.

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2002, 10:46:48 AM »
For the last frame of Clearing the Philippines I made all bases except on Luzon Allied.  I didn't let any squads start from them, but they could RTB there if they needed to.

This and more is being discussed between CM's and we just need to make sure we get it all ironed out or much whining insues:)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2002, 10:57:47 AM »
Just thinking out loud here...you can add another element...BDA recon.  One would have to have a recon fly over the target for a BDA in order to prove that the target was completely destroyed, (you can also use the logs, but this would make it more interesting, as  one would have to chance getting shot down with recons!) :D The only problem is someone could use a screen shot from any downed field for this. :(

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2002, 11:06:10 AM »
Actually, you can circumvent the 'any downed field' problem by telling the recon pilot that the pic is only authenticated if the screenshot is taken with the clipboard open and zoomed in enough that the CM's can see his position on the map as he snapped the photo. :) Of course, he must also place the CB strategically, such that it doesn't obscure the 'target' in question ;) .

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2002, 11:12:17 AM »
Good thinking Sundog!  OTW to get some more coffee!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2002, 01:34:26 PM »
Film would be the best way to do that.  Photoshop can do some amazing things with cut and paste.  ;)  It's kinda hard to fake the text buffer in AH films!

Rip, glad you're interested.   I'm basically just waiting for approval from the head honchos on a few things, and we'll get the next TOD posted and get your side requests in.  :)

Note for everyone.  The CMs do read what you guys post here.  If ya got a good idea, post it.  It might be something we haven't thought of yet, or, in this case, it might be something we just talked about the day before.  ;)  Remember, we don't just write these things up and run 'em.  We fly 'em as well!  We want them to be as fun (and fair) as we can make them.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.