Author Topic: You know, AH is great, but....  (Read 226 times)

LJK Raubvogel

You know, AH is great, but....
« on: March 11, 2001, 05:50:00 AM »
Why the hell do we still hav strato B17s at 35K pin point bombing crap? This watermelon is ridiculous. B17 out turning fighters at 34k....fix it already!!@

LJK Raubvogel

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2001, 06:34:00 AM »
And how hard would it be to get bombs disabled on the ground. The dweebiest thing I have ever seen in a game is a bomber taxiing up to a M3 and dropping bombs on itself and the M3. It just doesnt get any more retarded than that.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2001, 08:04:00 AM »
Had too much whine last night Raubie ?  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2001, 09:03:00 AM »
The new cloud layers will probably fix that.  Historically, they did fly high, and there was no turning them back.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
but raub! it does get more retarded than that!  when fighters pop up from a hanger and fire rockets at tanks or m3s on the ground!   i started a thread about this before,, DISABLE EVERYTHING ON EVERYTHING ON THE GROUND (errrrr except for gvs i suppose)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2001, 12:23:00 PM »
Oooh - praying since 1.06 out to meet a 35k buff in my Ta152!!!    

Yup, cloudlayers force bombers lower - N I C E !!

------------------
~Kirin~

[This message has been edited by Kirin (edited 03-11-2001).]
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2001, 01:57:00 PM »

Originally posted by iculus:
The new cloud layers will probably fix that.  Historically, they did fly high, and there was no turning them back.

Wrong. Nobody flew B-17 strikes at 35k in WWII.

They were about 25k.  I'm sure the waist gunners would have frozen to death at 35k.

jato757

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2001, 02:03:00 PM »

Originally posted by Torgo:
Wrong. Nobody flew B-17 strikes at 35k in WWII.

They were about 25k.  I'm sure the waist gunners would have frozen to death at 35k.

they did to avoid weather   (and 35,000)

------------------

[This message has been edited by jato757 (edited 03-11-2001).]

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
LJK, I think that's called a 'Car Bomb.' I've never done it, but it would be a temtation if I was given the opportunity

------------------
576 Squadron (Bomber Command)- RAF

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2001, 05:09:00 PM »
Well, I didn't say 35k  ...but 28k was typical of late war 8th AF raids over Europe.  22k was considered low.  Why fly high?  The high aspect wing and the finely superturbocharged wright cyclones of the B-17 loved the thin air.  Also note that the waist positions in the B-17G are enclosed.

<S>IC  

[This message has been edited by iculus (edited 03-11-2001).]

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2001, 05:34:00 PM »
See Kirin's reply and .gif please.

In the time it takes to FTP a picture, post, and be upset, you'd be making a 425mph pass on that B17 with the "confetti bomb" maker.

Hans

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2001, 06:12:00 PM »
He is just upset that I shot him down...twice.

Of course he climbed straight up into my 6 oclock the first time (a relatively easy shot for me).  After this came comments about how I was laggy, and my shots never came near him.

The second time he was under me at 1,000 feet lower altitude, pulled up and stalled in my gunsight.

But the complaining he was throwing my way on the open channel wasn't really apreciated too much.

BTW, I made it home without a scratch, with 3 kills (raub twice at 30k, and a La-7 that followed me to my base, who I shot down at 6k alt).

Hans.

P.S.  I find it odd that people complain that high altitude bombers are not supposed to fly at high altitudes...because it isn't "fair".

My take on it is that I will fly my plane to its fullest potential, and use all of its capabilities.  I don't want to be shot down.  I didn't come here to be a target practice drone and die repeatedly.

I will make turns to avoid attackers and spoil enemy fighters trying to setup attack runs on me, or I will fly a tight formation with another bomber.

[This message has been edited by Hans (edited 03-11-2001).]