Author Topic: Perhaps I'm way off base here...  (Read 193 times)

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Perhaps I'm way off base here...
« on: March 11, 2001, 06:38:00 AM »
I was flying around over the cloud bank yesterday and suddenly I had to start dodging flak. Evidently I flew over a cv group without knowing it.

Now I couldn't see the ground, those players under the cloud bank couldn't see me. How would a flak gunner be able to see a target above the cloudbank?

I realize that the AI controlled flak is programmed to fire at a con when it flies into a predetermined radius of the facility with the flak. My question is: wouldn't it be proper if that same said AI were to only shoot if a can "see" the target?

If the con were to fly below the cloudbank then he would then become a trackable target but once he flew back up into the cloudbank or above it then he should be invisible to the flak gunners.

Is this unreasonable? Your opinions please.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

PakRat

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2001, 06:49:00 AM »
I agree. Haven't hit this one yet since I've only been flying over land...

------------------
Rape, pillage, then burn...

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2001, 06:53:00 AM »
These flak batteries are radar guided are they not?  Wouldn't the radar see through the clouds anyway?

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline iculus

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2001, 09:28:00 AM »
Would the accuracy decrease if they were radar guided, and not visual?

<S>IC

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
good point.. this also applies to normal field ack as well.  i have ben hit by ground acks that are firing over hills,through fuel tanks, the tower and hangers.  I think it is rather silly that guns that cant see you can waste you when you cant fire back

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2001, 11:40:00 PM »
Flak has been totally completely porked for a couple versions now. Way to accurate, even above clouds.  You are by no means off base here mark.  I hope HTC totally reworks flak soon.  Myself, I just avoid 88mm whenever possible--it ain't worth getting near it.

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2001, 12:29:00 AM »
The AI ack still shoots thru hangars and conveniently arcs over ridges to kill things so I doubt clouds would stop it.  Never liked these AI acks much for these reasons although I guess its less accurate now than it used to be.

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2001, 02:21:00 AM »

Wouldn't the radar see through the clouds anyway?

Not so Lephturn.  My understanding is that WW2 radar, particularly US naval radar, had a very hard time penetrating cloud/storm fronts.

Fleet ack definitely has to be toned way, way down somehow.  First night of 1.06 I had a similar experience to Mark.  Flying along at 25k in a D9, inadvertently flew within a few miles of an enemy CV group.  It was night outside, so I couldnt see the CV, but their ack gunners sure could see me alright!

4 bursts and my airframe is on fire.  20 seconds later I'm dead.

Wouldn't have been so bad except I had no idea where the CV was located, since it was so dark outside.  Kinda hard to get out of danger when you don't know where the danger is  

------------------
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
Chapter 13, verse 11