Author Topic: AP rounds in Panzers - shooting blanks ??  (Read 113 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
AP rounds in Panzers - shooting blanks ??
« on: February 05, 2002, 07:53:59 PM »
I did a Panzer mission the other day and for a change took a split load of HE and AP.  I rumbled up to a town and started to take out buildings with the HE and all was going well.  Then an ack was exposed so I thought "ah - time for some AP" - switched and laid at least 6 into the ack (saw the sprites) and never destroyed it.  Swapped to a building and laid another 10 into a building without blowing it up (4 HE kills a building).   I ended up expending the entire 36 rounds into those two targets without destroynig either - what has happened to the AP rounds ??? or had I loaded blanks
:confused:

Offline scooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2002, 10:20:50 PM »
last time i checked AP was for armor...tanks...ltv's...HE is for buildings, ack, m16's m3's......:)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2002, 12:26:26 AM »
No, AP rounds only effective against other tanks (M8, Panzer, Flaktank).

Everything else, use HE. Ive put 15 rnds of AP into an m3/m16 and the $#@$# things kept going..but put 1 or 2 HE rounds and they pop.

Offline Qnm

• Copper Member
      • http://no-such.net/WORK
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2002, 04:29:48 AM »
Don't know if this has changed in the MA since 1.06, but have recently taken field ack out with the M8 APs, 1 hit sprite was all it took.
On the other hand Flak (and maybe Pz-AP as well) shells used to show many (many) 'false' hit sprites against field acks, back in that same MA version.
This might have changed with the VH ack 50.cal immunity?

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2002, 05:01:58 AM »
I admit that Ap should be for armour  only but it used to work on buildings as well - used to take a few more shells but it worked.  As far as I'm concerned an AP round should work against a gun emplacement - in fact against a armour fronted 88mm it should be the ONLY thing that works.

Your point with the M3 is interesting Tac - I've had the same thing - in fact I've had AP shells bounce off a Panzer.

Perhaps there is something wrong with AP modelling ??

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2002, 01:24:42 PM »
I used AP for everything without much problem at all.  It may take a few more shots that HE on buildings but nothing too great.  At least with AP you can defend safely against other armour.

Regards

Nexx
NEXX